Hybrid SSD HDD drives?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by deathbyprayer • Sep 13, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I was planning on purchasing a new hard drive for my laptop because I'm down 10GB's of free space. Now I was looking for drives, I have a regular disk drive and I was planning on upgrading to a SSD but I saw a Hybrid drive, 1TB space of a regular HDD with the speed of a SSD and the price is relatively cheaper than the SSD so I thought, well there's probably something they're not telling us here.

Have you used Hybrids before? Would you mind giving a quick review? Thanks!

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So Hybrid drives combine speed/performance and high capacity storage at a reasonable price. These drives utilize SSD capabilities to store commonly accessed data from files and programs for quick recall and usage. You won't see the same exact speeds as an actual SSD drive, but you'll see better performance than most HDDs. I'd rather go for an actual SSD. Still, hybrid drives are decent but closer to HDDs than actual SSD.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Hey thanks for the reply. I was about to buy an SSD quite in fact just now I'm placing an order at Amazon. But before I do anything, I might change my mind and order a Hybrid instead, would you say in comparison, a Hybrid drive and a 7200RPM HDD which is the better choice when it comes to speed?