Hybrids: how much are you saving?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Peninha • May 29, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone using a hybrid car here? How much are you saving with gas by using it? Also, do you drive the way you always did or do you drive slower so that the gas engine is not activated? Ultimately I would want to get an electric car, but they are too expensive and unreliable for now...

2. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    It depends on which hybrid you purchase, what you need it to do, and how far and what type of commute you have.

With a Prius, I get 51.7 mpg as a year long average with the A/C and stereo on. I check my tires at least once a week with a digital tire gauge, avoid ethanol blends (ethanol is grain alcohol and lowers mpg), avoid fast starts, and maximize nice, long, coasting stops.

However, in my FWD Sienna, I average 27 mpg with the A/C on and 29 with it off by doing the same things. I play either system like a game and try to get the best mpg with no modifications either way.

With a commute of at least 20-30 minutes you should expect a minimum of 10-15 mpg more over a similar standard vehicle. But with careful maintenance and driving habits, that should be closer to 15-20 mpg more.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the post pfaemaster, a good and detailed explanation. I actually find hybrids to be a good solution while electric cars aren't totally reliable in terms of battery, so when I am buying a new car I will take them under serious consideration. Do you have an idea if they are more expensive than the regular diesel car?

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    My sister has a toyota prius. She wasn't sure that should be getting a lot of savings when she first got the car. She usually keeps a record of how much she spends on a monthly basis and she's really good with their finances and financial management. Before getting this car she used to spend between 100 and $200 for regular travel and unplanned travel each month. Once she upgraded to the Toyota she managed to get her bills to as low as $13 per month. The only time her bills ever shot over $100 was if she took the long trips across the country. I was really impressed with this and I thought that this was an amazing improvement over finances and I was really happy for her.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The difference is cost of using a hybrid over a traditional gas vehicle is impressive. I have been wondering if it was really a good idea to switch to a hybrid vehicle now that I am in the market for a vehicle. The hybrid is small for my needs at this time. I am interested in getting a vehicle that is more efficient in gas use than the traditional gas vehicle. Thanks for the comparison.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem is that hybrids most likely are way more expensive than regular gas cars, but to be honest I haven't explored the price differences in detail. More, possibly there isn't yet a decent second hand market for hybrids because it's a relatively new technology, so buying a new car for me is totally out of the question, it's just more expensive than I can afford.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

Some hybrid brands make up for their sticker price in a more reasonable time frame. In other words. if you're paying a huge amount for a one which obviously cannot off quickly, then are you really saving money? Of course, it is true, though, that any hybrid will be better for the environment - regardless of savings.