I am Thinking of a Tablet--which One is Best?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by cinderr • Sep 20, 2013.

1. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    I would like to "get with it" and purchase a tablet. I actually have no clue what a tablet does. Can you help me by answering these questions?
    1. Besides reading a book, what can I do on a tablet?
    2. Do I go online with my tablet?
    3. Do I text with my tablet?
    4. Why is a tablet advantageous?
    5. Can I write and store a story on a tablet?
    6. Why is a tablet better than a laptop?
    Thanks for any help you can offer. My 13 year old has one but I can't make heads or tails of it.

2. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    One of the best tablets on the market is the Asus Tablet, especially the one with the Transformer Pad because this one has a keyboard which is removable and it's very easy to type on it. Another good one is Google Nexus 7. It's the best one on the market which for the best price. You can go on line with your tablet via a wireless connnection or DSL modem. You can do various things on your tablet such as downloading music, videos, making notes, taking pictures, scanning an item, etc., but most likely you need to download apps (whether paid or free ones) on to your tablet so that you can allow your tablet to function in these ways. You can save information on your tablet and a memory card, which you can use to transfer the information to a desktop or laptop. A tablet, in my opinion, is not necessarily better than a well made laptops like Macbook Air (13 inch), Sony's New Vaio Pro, and Acer's Aspire S7. This is because these have very long battery lives. If you're not going to get these then you can consider getting the Asus Transformer TF101, which has 16 hours of battey life and it's suitable for all day computing, entertaining, and multitasking.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    1. Watch movies, play games, take notes, and everything else because there is always a app for everything.
    2. If you want sure, you can do that, it will make your experience a lot better.
    3. You are thinking of a smartphone.
    4. It's a thing that fits in the palm of your hand and can do dozens of things.
    5. Yes
    6. It isn't.

4. pxyc

pxycNew Member

Threads:
    1. Besides reading a book, what can I do on a tablet? On your tablet, you can play games, check your email, take pictures (on most models), listen to music, go online, video chat (if it has a camera and you have WiFi), and a lot more depending on which tablet you get.
    2. Do I go online with my tablet? Yeah, you can go online with your tablet. There may be a few things you might not be able to do, but that shouldn't affect most users.
    3. Do I text with my tablet? No. Some tablets might have a feature where you can send IMs (instant messages) to other tablets and possibly other cell phones. An example of this would that the iPad has the ability to send messages over WiFi to other iOS devices (devices made by Apple).
    4. Why is a tablet advantageous? It's portable and powerful. You can do a lot of things with a tablet, and it's portable. You can fit it in a purse or backpack and most are very lightweight.
    5. Can I write and store a story on a tablet? Yeah, you can. Most tablets have an app that comes with it for writing notes and saving them. You could also get an app (possibly for free, some may be paid for) that would let you write a book and save it that way.
    6. Why is a tablet better than a laptop? In my opinion, it's not. A tablet may be portable (so is a laptop), but it's not powerful and you can't use it for everything. I know typing an essay on a tablet would be terrible. However, if you don't need to type long stories and essays and want something for reading, playing some games occasionally, going online and emailing, a tablet might be better for you.

Hope this helped :)

5. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    1. Besides reading a book, what can I do on a tablet?
    2. Do I go online with my tablet? Yes, I love the iPad tablet
    3. Do I text with my tablet? I have with. the iMessage
    4. Why is a tablet advantageous? You can stick it in your purse, and use it like a T.v in the kitchen while you cook.
    5. Can I write and store a story on a tablet? You can , I prefer a keyboard for typing
    6. Why is a tablet better than a laptop? Less bulky and heavy, easily handheld and fun for taking pictures

6. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    1. You can do almost anything you can do on a laptop on a tablet
    2. YES, if you have wifi in your house, you will be set.
    3. Yes - I can text from my iPad
    4. The touch screen, the size and reduced weight
    5. Yes,
    6. Same as #4

I own two iPads, One is only enough if there is only one person in the house. I also own two laptops and a netbook. We Never use them anymore.
    Haven't turned them on in over a year. But the iPads are used hours a day. If you don't want to pay the premium for an iPad then get the Google Nexus 7.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that steverd has captured it all in a nutshell ! I have a desktop, a laptop, and my iPad, and the iPad is about all that I ever use for almost everything that I need to do online. I can sit comfortably in my chair, and not be stuck at the desk in the back room, and my iPad is easy for me to hold, and if something is hard to look at, I scrunch the screen and make it big enough to see properly.
    I do all my Internet stuff on my iPad, and I can even project anything that I want up onto my TV with the airplay feature.
    I can use Skype or FaceTime to visit with my family, and when my some got married, they played the ceremony on their iPhone, and I watched it with airplay on my big screen TV, and it was almost like being there.
    It takes a bit to get accustomed to the touch screen, but the effort is well worth it. You will never look back once you have an iPad !

8. davidexct

davidexctNew Member

Threads:
    I would recommend you to go for an Android jelly bean tablet, the tablet depends on your need and budget as if you are high budget then you buy Sony Xperia z tablet and if you are looking for a budget tablet then I would highly recommend Asus Google Nexus 7 for you.

9. 10theMCEE

10theMCEENew Member

Threads:
    I would like to answer question #4 first: A tablet is advantageous to have if you are actually someone who a.) plays games online; b.) has an active Internet lifestyle (Youtube, Reddit, etc.); and, c.) is always on the go. I can cite more specific examples but I think these are enough to emphasize the point. Having a tablet can make you enjoy a lot of activities, not just on the Internet, but especially about communication. I highly recommend an iPad 4, because:
    1. You can play games (both online and not), save documents, take photos, enjoy music and movies, and yes, TEXT with an iPad 4.
    2. You can definitely go online with your iPad if you have WiFi connection.
    3. Texting is possible with an iPad 4 since it features a SIM card capability.
    4. (previously addressed above)
    5. Writing a story and keeping it in your tablet's memory is also possible. You can also upload it the soonest time you want it uploaded to the site of your choice.
    6. A tablet is better because it is smaller in size and manufacturers and programmers have been showering it with more exciting and free applications for the past few years. They have provided thousands and thousands of applications which you can choose from which will help you personalize your tablet experience.

I am hoping this would help.

10. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    This was very helpful; thank you. I think I may stick with my trusty old laptop or get a new laptop. I am a writer of books so I need something to write them on and save them. Of course I have them backed up with a flash but...
    I think the idea of having a billion books available is neat but I am old fashioned and like to hold a paper book. Also I have no problem having the next book on hand.
    If I find I ever have extra money (unlikely) I might get one, just because. It is not a great fit for me at this time and now I know!

11. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Well, if you write stories then I would recommend that you do not buy a tablet to do your main work. You'll just get frustrated. Trust me.

You can buy an affordable tablet and watch movies, read ebooks, play games, surf the internet, facebook, and even do video chatting on it. Using a tablet is much more convenient when doing certain things as compared with using a laptop, especially if you really don't need to type that much. :)

12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Well I personally have always been an apple fan and a huge fan of Steve jobs and everything this company grew into. For those reasons there was no way I was going to pass up the iPad when I first saw it being advertised.t he ipad is just revolutionary and just amazing in general. I use it to read novels, to play games, to keep track of my life and to browse the internet of course.

13. fermlour

fermlourNew Member

Threads:
    Hello, look if you do not have much money you can always buy the nexus 4 is pretty good!
    Now if you have money you can buy an Ipad, there are many good!

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my computer was down I purchased a HP Touch which is not supported by HP anymore. It does not have all the bells and whistles that Ipad has but I have enjoyed having it. I let my grandson play some youtube videos on the tablet and some of my work. I plan to purchase a Microsoft table in the near future, it does more business type of applications.

15. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:

Hi Cinderr

I know you didn't ask which tablet to get but I have to inform you of this one,lol. I must agree with you, laptops are the best overall UNTIL this new tablet was recently introduced. Im sure many have heard of it. It is the Surface created by Microsoft. This tablet has all of the components and abilities of a tablet/desktop computer. In my opinion, this tops all tablets. It has a detachable keyboard and a tablet holding dock.

Tablets are light which makes it easier to port with than a laptop or computer.
    Tablets are convenient if you are a game player and don't want to sit up on a computer or drag a computer with you to an appt or something. For example, you have a doctors appointment and you know it may be a while before it is your turn to be seen. Why not bring your tablet?! It is light to carry and you can search the internet, play games, read the latest news, listen to music and if you are a writer, you can create or modify projects all in that waiting period.
    Tablets are good for parents or grandparents with small children. My tablet comes in handy when I am traveling with my 6 year old. It keeps her entertained. :)

16. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I recommend getting a tablet that uses the Android system. Although Apple devices are better than Android, I don't recommend getting a iPad because they have flaws. The flaws don't outweigh the benefits, but it does when comparing it to a better tablet. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a great tablet. I have actually used the Samsung Galaxy for about a week. It runs smoothly, has very few crashes and runs on Android's system. The main reason I enjoyed the Samsung Galaxy was because it allows you to download items from the internet instantly.