I Just Saw a Woman Walking a Rabbit!

Discussion in Pets started by deansaliba • Sep 3, 2014.

1. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I thought I was dreaming, but I just saw a woman walking a rabbit down a high street! It was on a lead and had a collar around its neck and looked thoroughly miserably and bewildered! I thought walking cat owners walking their cats on leads was bad enough, this is getting ridiculous now!!

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my. That is totally absurd. We had a pet rabbit once and he was free to roam around the yard. Luckily he did not get the habit of digging in our garden. He lived a full 8 years and we did not replace him with another. Never imagined to walk a rabbit.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's definitely weird.

Then again, apparently others do it, too:

p1180824-bunny-on-a-leash-photomodel.

[​IMG]

4. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Well, that's a first. One of my neighbors has a pet rabbit. It is the cutest little thing. Every morning he is outside on their yard enjoying his space and munching on grass. I have never once seen them take the rabbit out for a walk. I can't imagine that the poor rabbit would enjoy having a collar around it's neck.

5. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    That seems pretty strange, especially since she might meet a person walking a dog. A recipe for disaster, honestly, since dogs might bite it to play or investigate and then it's the dog's owner who will get the blame instead of the silly woman. I feel it's more of a 'look at my cute little dressed up rabbit' than a case of it being healthy for the rabbit.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Walking a rabbit? I guess it's not done here in the Philippines because rabbits are not really common here even as pets. I guess that this is a good thing because this means that I can still teach my cat to take a walk with me!

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People keep getting dumber and dumber. Someone told me about a guy who usually took his pet geese for a walk. I guess these things happen, it's just that we never hear of them often. But who can blame the woman? Maybe all she needed was some attention. Maybe she wanted to show off her pet but came off as a goofy pet owner.

Pet shops should help out with some of these things. They should write down a few rules which pet owners should abide by. They could help those who know nothing much about animals.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm seeing more and more of these pictures being shared online recently as well, and as much as I hate the thought of animals being leashed, I think it's at least a better alternative than being locked up in a cage or indoors all day. I agree that it looks kind of ridiculous and the pets are probably uncomfortable, but at least they get to walk outside once in a while.

9. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    This thread has made me laugh. Years ago, my friend used to keep polecats and ferrets. We regularly used to walk them on leads. We even got photographed for the local paper one day. The other day, my mum was driving down the road and she saw someone she knows taking their pet owl out for an early morning walk!

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure whether it shouldn't be classified as animal cruelty. I know that I would definitely approach a person who is walking a rabbit on a leash in the street, and ask them if they are actually aware of how much stress it is causing the animal. And if they gave me an arrogant or stupid answer, I wouldn't hesitate to call the RSPCA.

11. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Okay this cheered me up :D. I've never known someone to walk a rabbit and I live in the Rebublic of Ireland and here I see some pretty strange things. LOL. I'm not surprised it looked miserable, its a rabbit not a dog! Rabbits should be free to run around your garden, but not walked, even though I have now looked this up and seen others do it. Why would anyone want too?

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if the rabbit does not like to be taken for a walk, then the owner should take it as a hint and not put the rabbit under undue stress. But if the rabbit enjoys it, then well and good, although they may look odd while on the road, but it's their life, and as long as they don't harm anyone, then they are free to do whatever they want.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, poor rabbit! People are getting crazier every day. I agree with you, it's already weird to walk with your cat on a leash, let alone a rabbit. Dogs on strollers, cats and rabbits on leashes, I don't know what's wrong with people. They shouldn't treat their animals as babies.

14. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I read this and I could not stop laughing. This is just ridiculous. I guess the owner has the rabbit as a house pet and was taking it out to use the bathroom. This is my first time ever seeing anything like this. Rabbits are the new Dogs.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First time I have ever seen this one, walking a rabbit on a leash. It seems people just don't know what to do with themselves. Poor rabbit. I fell bad for cats on leashes also, cats are suppose to be free to run around and have fun.

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen people in parks with rabbits. They aren't walking them but letting them walk around and lay down in the grass. I like seeing odd pets out like big parrots or other birds. Once I saw a guy with his turtle hanging out in the park lol.