I like the Nook Reader I bought..

Discussion in Product Reviews started by outdoorgal • Apr 25, 2014.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    ..and last night I remembered I hadn't even used it for weeks. I really wanted something to read when I went to bed, so I got on my Nook, and started searching books. The only thing that bothers me about storing books on my Nook is that I can't share them with anyone. My sister and I could trade, but she uses hard-copies always. Plus, I find reading a hard-copy book a disadvantage now because of the lighting mainly. I have to have a lamp on. I know it's all about laziness, or being spoiled, but yes I am;), since I discovered my Nook.

One thing I miss is having the books on my shelves, not that I love dusting, but I just like to have the physical presence of the books I've read. Then, I can also pass them on to others as I mentioned. But as far as shopping for a book, it would take me possibly hours to find one in town, not to mention the drive. With my Nook, I find the book, click, and it's mine. I also like the "samples" that are usually available to read. That way I know if I will most likely love the book before I have to purchase it.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know just how you feel, Outdoorgal ! I have my iPad, and I got used to reading on that, and now i no longer hount the bookshelves at the thrift stores, and go through all the books at a yard sale. I still get a regular book when I find something I like, and if it is a non-fiction book that i am apt to want to save for a reference, then having a copy is good.
    After i got the hard case for my iPad, it was harder to turn it into the upright position for reading; so i watched on ebay until I found a kindle reader for about $20, and I bought that, and it is perfect for reading.
    The kindle is a lot smaller and more lightweight than the iPad, and it fits in my purse easily when I am going somewhere that i might need to wait, and want to read.

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I love my ipad also and use the kindle app. GREAT for recipes too. About the case, I now have a case that sits it up, as well as gives me a blue tooth keyboard. Which almost turns it into a laptop. It's great because some of the keys on the ipad have always stuck, making typing and choosing certain place on the ipad really hard.

I used to carry a folding picture frame, works GREAT as a ipad stand. As for carrying, ipads are so easy with various things. I found a purse that it fits in, with the case/stand and all. I have never found it hard or awkward to my take my ipad along with me.

Yes, as for bookstores, I do miss them. I miss the SMELLS. I will go into one just for that. :)

4. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    Hi Ruth,

That's one thing I really struggle with using my Nook. I do like it, but if I could buy another type, it would have a keyboard. I have a lot of trouble typing on that little screen. Seems the more, neat gadgets they invent, the more I want, LOL! Never satisfied I suppose. My neighbor has an IPad, I think that's what it is. Anyway, he can plug in a little fold-up keyboard. I'm not sure he can use a mouse but I think so. I've never found the "touchpad" easy to use. But I know that is a matter of getting used to, I just never wanted to take the time.

So my next reader will have some other capabilities as well;) Denise

PS Yours sounds great by the way:)

5. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Using tablets to read books and also listing to audio books has become so popular. Its good for our world. Reading especially is good for us. It allows for better creativity. Its good to use your mind rather then zoning out in front of the television.

6. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    I can't agree more, and it is funny that my Nook has gotten me to read way more. Mostly articles on the web, but yes, I've bought some books too;) I don't have cable any longer because I do a lot of reading, research online with my laptop. But it's way nice to be able to click it on and go to any subject I can imagine, and read about it in the evenings, kicked back in an easy-chair;) Denise

7. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    The ipad was it for me, because it meets my personal needs. But I still would not mind a reader, but I would prefer Kindle as Nook is only connected to Barnes and Noble and when I was looking at them, I really hated I could not have access to Amazon.

I'm glad you love yours. Oh, and yes about accessories, it's funny isn't it, the device is always reasonable, but it's the accessories that make you gulp. lol.

8. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I received a Nook Tablet HD for Christmas 2 years ago and I still love it. I started using it even more when they sent out the update with the Android system on it. I also downloaded an RSS reader on to my Nook that allows me to keep up with all my blogs easily. Now that Nook has the Android system, I believe that they are just as comparable to Kindle and other tablets. I do suggest that if you want an e-reader, you just go whole hog and get a tablet, whether it be a Nook tablet or a Kindle. There are so many activities that you can do on a tablet that you can't do with just a basic e-reader.

9. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    You actually can have access to Amazon through a Nook tablet. It took me a long time to figure that out but once I did, it became the app I used on Nook the most. First of all, Nook updated with the android system so you can access Google Play. I downloaded the Amazon app onto my Nook so that's how I do my shopping. I also downloaded the Kindle app on to my Nook so that's how I get access to great deals on books. I'm sure that's not what Barnes & Noble meant to do but by downloading Google Play, they took that risk. Like I mentioned in my previous comment, if you get a Nook Tablet (not the basic e-reader), it becomes very comparable to any other tablet.