I Love Co-op Shopping

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by bombshell • Feb 24, 2015.

1. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I really love going to my local co-op. Knowing I am supporting local farmers and growers and also getting foods with no pesticides or genetic modification makes me feel good about what I am putting in my family's mouths. Going to the co-op also makes me feel like a little hipster :cool:.

If you have never been to a co-op in your area I suggest checking one out. The meats, fruits and veggies are locally grown and mostly organic. The pre packed foods usually have few ingredients and are also healthier than the garbage we get at big brand grocers.

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    We have a local co-op which basically sells dried goods (Nuts/fruits/seeds), was a bit unsure at first but the prices and quality are completely superior to going to say your local supermarket, definitely would recommend.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think co-ops are a great idea and do help the the local community as well. It can be expensive buying everything there, but I do like the healthier products available. Some are a cross between a co-op and high end organic outlets. I have been to quite a few and it does depend on the area. In Vermont they seem less commercial than Connecticut, but I still like to browse at the local produce.

4. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I dont have any close to home other than one that happens twice a year. I go to that every time. It's just something about buying fresh and buying local that makes me feel good inside. Ive been meaning to get to one that happens monthly but it's a little far and I dont have my own transportation.

5. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I won't buy chicken feed or pet food anywhere else. When we can afford to pay the little extra we get our tires done there as well as buying gas from them.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a co-op owner in my local town. I decided to join because I really support what they are doing in making the effort to supply the most local option for produce. They even tell you the name of the farm or the name of the nearest town for many of the vegetables when they are in season in our area. My co-op is also GMO free, which is a big plus because it means I don't have to worry about checking labels for it.

7. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I think a co-op may be called a farmers' market in other places, correct me if I'm wrong. We have Farmers' markets where I live. I always loved and patronized them until just a few years ago. Where I live, we have a HUGE influx of illegals coming across the border into the U.S. They have been setting up their own fruit and vegetable stands for the past few years, and undercutting the local farmers. I just can't justify buying from them. It's a shame, because co-ops are wonderful as a rule.