I Love Straighttalk: How About You?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by MyPoesies • Oct 3, 2015.

1. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I get my cell phone service through Straight Talk and I love it! I only buy the $45 card from Walmart and get all of the unlimited texting, calling, and data I need. My data is even at 4GB which I consider great. I have an Android phone on my Straight Talk service and everything works extremely well. My mother did have a huge screw up when her old phone got damaged and the Straight Talk team didn't replace it like they said they would. She kept calling them and they said they're shipping it and yeah, it never came. She ended up having to buy another one which sucked for her. I think the customer service for Straight Talk is horrible, but the phone and service itself is actually great in my opinion. What do you think about Straight Talk?

2. strawberrydollar

strawberrydollarNew Member

Threads:
    That is what I had when I first got a cell phone. I loved the price with unlimited everything but the phone I had was starting to annoy me. It was slow and laggie and the internet took forever to load. I decided to switch and now that I have a better phone and a larger bill I kind of wish I could go back to straight talk.

3. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    My husband has a Verizon phone service and pays $90 for a phone a month. I think that's so ridiculous just for service in comparison to Straight Talk! I wonder if you had an Android because I never had a problem with them.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How does Straight Talk work with regard to buying a phone? Do they sell them, and if so, do you have to pay for the phone up front, or is there some way you can pay monthly installments on it? I think they have up to date, or at least recent phones, from what I recall seeing on television commercials. I'm going to be looking around at some cell phone options soon, and Straight Talk, the other one they advertise at Walmart that's a little bit cheaper than Straight Talk, and Freedom Pop are on my radar.

5. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    With Straight Talk, you have to buy the phone you want up front. I don't think anyone can pay monthly installments on the phone itself. Even the Galaxy phones are cheaper buying from Straight Talk then you would with anyone else. I never heard of Freedom Pop so I can't give you any advice or my opinion that. I just know I love Straight Talk because it has service mostly everywhere due to piggyback riding off of Verizon without the expensive phone plans and NO contract. I pay $45 for unlimited everything. I highly recommend Straight Talk.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks, I'll have to check into the different options. I might be able to buy a used device cheaper elsewhere, assuming that's allowed, and make sure it would be compatible with the network. I don't have the kind of money to pay up front for a brand new phone, unless perhaps it's an older model, so is affordable. It's great to know that someone is really happy, although crappy customer service is somewhat concerning. I've got that now with the home services, but I'll just have to see what I come up with as far as Straight Talk versus the alternatives, and will definitely keep your recommendation in mind :).

7. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    Yes, phones are expensive. I payed I think close to a $100 for an older model phone myself. My mom's phone was close to $200 for a newer model phone. And I totally think buying a used device is acceptable. I would hope so because I'd hate to pay up front for a new phone over again if mine went down. I've heard good reviews about the customer service from others, but my mom is the only incident I've heard about the bad customer service. I hope whatever you choose makes you happy!

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have considered straightalk myself. Even at 45 per month though that is a lot more than I pay now for service. Also, I was wondering the same thing about the service. If I could use it on another phone would that be acceptable? I am not sure how that whole thing works. I am a phone of tracphone and their plans. I think they have the largest network as well. You can virtually use a tracphone anywhere. The refurbished smartphone I got from them didn't work well though, half the apps didn't work properly.

9. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I have no experience with a tracphone so I have no idea if StraightTalk would be better or not. I know StraightTalk coverage is great due to the piggyback off of Verizon. I'm pretty sure you can transfer over any phone to StraightTalk, but you'd have to talk to someone in Walmart that's over all of that. The one thing that "sort of" sucks about StraightTalk is that you can't just buy the refill cards just anywhere. It has to be at a Walmart or Marketplace. Which Marketplace is just another Walmart technically. I wouldn't trust anything refurbished. I'd rather buy something new so there's a good chance that it actually works. I'd be scared to waste money on a refurbished phone and it be worthless.

10. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9hNew Member

Threads:
    I have straight talk too. Although some months have been hard getting the $45 a month card. I wish that they would let you get a cheaper card with my phone. I don't talk on my phone much at all. I text a bit but not even that much. I mainly use straight talk for the internet and apps. But they will not let me get no less than the $45 a month card. I had net 10 before that and it was $50 a month. Its almost $50 a month on straight talk with tax added. But I can't complain. I did the bring your own phone and got a sim card to use in my phone so it could be on the straight talk plan. I have also bought phones from straight talk. I really want a Galaxy phone but they are too expensive for me right now. I am using a Motorola droid mini right now.

11. Frank Z

Frank ZNew Member

Threads:
    Hi. New user here.... I use Straight Talk and I'm satisfied with them. Yes, customer service is inept for the most part but competent techs do exist. Porting my number was a pain and for about a month, I had two numbers because they couldn't find my original number in their system. I told them I was going to continue using both (one free) until they figured it out.... Eventually they did.... Other than that, no problem. I LOVE that I cut my bill from $100+ to about $42. I buy months in advance and enjoy having no bill.

I'll also add that setting up to receive MMS (picture messages) is more painful on iPhone than Android because the settings screen is hidden on the former (at least in iOS7/8), so I'd recommend it for Android or dumb phone only...

All that said, when my service expires, I'm porting my number to Google Voice and going with TracFone. I estimate that will bring my average "bill" (actually monthly cost) to about $12-15. I'm more of a text and data user than I am a talker so TracFone seems to be the better choice for that....

As far as non contract smartphones go, Groupon has some decent phones pop up that are in the sub $250 range. Also check the various deal sites.... The best deal I got was a Sony Xperia Z on clearance at Sony's website.

#11Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015