i phone 6 bending

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Melissast • Sep 29, 2014.

1. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:

Here is an article over the i phone 6 that said the whole bending thing was probably a bit out of hand. It also has a chart that shows at what weight a bunch of smart phone brands will suffer deformation and break. Iphone 6 is one of the ones at the top that can not take as much weight as some of the others.

I think that the companies have to walk a thine line. The people want something they can pack around and take a lot of damage, but they also want it to be light and cost effective.

2. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    I believe you ment the iphone 6 plus. It is the largest of the two new additions Apple has recently released. Seeing that this phone is light weight and some what cost effective, Apple customers have to take into consideration that no phone is prone to damage even bending damage if you do not purchase addiquate damage protection. Common scense should have led the people who reported the bending issue with the iphone 6 plus not to put a brand new $800 phone in skin tight jeans in their pocket without proper protection from scratches and "bending". Every phone I have owned has been well taken care of by placing it in an otterbox defender case. These cases are hard, durable and prevents any damage to expensive cellular devices such as the iphone 6 plus and the iphone 6. I have not heard any reports regarding a bend issue with the standard size 4.7 inch iphone 6 though. Those phones are too small to even think about bending. But as for the iphone 6 plus with the 5.5 inch screens, buy a case for it. Problem solved

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    This same subject was posted here Melissa so you may want to take a look at the information supplied there:

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of the iPhone 6 bending but I have read an article talking about the iPhone 6+ bending in people's pocket. I think that the iPhone 6+ will have a lot of recalls because of this. Customers like the fact that the iPhone 6+ has a big screen but the risk of it bending and breaking will lower the sales on them. Most people are now getting the iPhone 6 instead of the 6+.

5. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    While bending will decrease the resale value of the phone, I wonder how much bending it takes to affect the performance of the phone. Some flexibility may actually be an advantage in protection against breakage. I'm certainly not an engineer, but I know skyscrapers are built with some flexibility in the framework as protection against earthquakes and other blows. Perhaps, this is not a design flaw but an engineering improvement?

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is one of those things that the internet got a hold of and ran wild with.

Yes, it bends. We got it. But there are so many people who are doing videos and talking about it that it's out of hand really. Most people will never have their phone bend like that unless they do it on purpose (which is what people are currently doing).

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All smartphones that feature a metal build are susceptible to bending, including the HTC One M7, One M8, Samsung Galaxy Alpha, and others. Even plastic phones will bend with enough pressure, and plenty of other non-iPhones take far less pressure to bend. People are overstating this issue with the iPhone 6 Plus, and various independent tests have shown that the device isn't as weak as the media has reported.

8. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I think the results were more interesting for the other phones, most notably the Lumia 1020, the Moto X, and the Moto G. I am considering buying either the Moto X or Moto G (both by Motorola) and am really interested in their construction quality. Although I know Motorola has designed them with plastic construction, it seems that they were most resilient to the bending. It's good to know that you don't have to spend big bucks on a phone to get a quality, sturdy device.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Customers wanted a thinner phone with bigger screen. Now they have it but it bends :D There are plenty of tests online documenting this, it really happens. And it's not because the users place the phone in tight pants or are careless - the IPhone6 Plus seems to not be reinforced to avoid bending. I've seen a similar bending test done with a Galaxy, no issues. Even if the phone is as big as the IPhone it resists to pressure. Pity really, considering how expensive they are I'd expect better.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I read somewhere that there were only a few complaints so I'm inclined to believe that the reports were indeed just exaggerated. From what I read , if I recall correctly, I think there have only been about 9 reported cases of the phones bending in pockets and I think I'd believe it since the uproar seems to be somewhat hollow. I believe that if there were really that many complaints then we'd hear exactly about that many complaints instead of just that it bends for some.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I heard about this and was actually very surprised. I though apple was really good about making all their products pretty durable, but I guess this time they put maybe a little too much emphasis on the light weight and slim design and didn't put as much on durability. Personally, if I were going to buy a very, very expensive phone like this, I would want it to be very strong and durable even if it weighed more for it and was bigger.

12. Maniak21

Maniak21New Member

Threads:
    Well, my opinion is that people make too big of a problem out of this. Well, they expect quality material for their phones, they expect it to be built from good and valuable materials, so-called premium materials. Well, this is the price of comfort and luxury. And by the way, the iPhone 6 Plus is not the only one of it's kind that bend, the Samsung Note 3 bend too. So, this is a matter of perspective, but I guess that you didn't buy a phone to sit on it to make it bend..