I recommend Sandboxie.

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by AB91000 • Apr 14, 2014.

1. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    For everyone that has trouble with viruses on your computer.

I recommend that you try Sanboxie. You can run your browser in sanboxe, and it will allocate specific amount of space on your HDD where it will store the data from your browser. That way you do not have to worry about your computer being infected.

If you get a virus you can simply delete the contents of the sanbox, and will delete any file that was written while you were using the browser. You can install programs in the sanbox too. That pretty much ends the possibility of ever getting a virus on you computer.

The best part is the software is 100% free.
    '

2. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I've been using Sandboxie for about a month and love it.

I use a number of "paid to" sites and many of these have games you can download for a reward. Most of these "games" (which are mostly cheap knockoffs of well known games) have some form of adware within them. With sandboxie I just download them within the sandbox and when the site credits I can simply dump the contents of it.

3. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Sandboxie is a great little tool for GPT sites, but personally I just run a virtual machine, install all the things I want for that day, and then reset it at the end of the day, wiping it clean so that it's fresh for the next run of adware infested games.

4. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. Sandboxie works perfectly for that.

I wish i would have known about Sandnoxie in my first stint with GPT sites. I would have avoided a lot of spyware, and aware viruses. I had to restore my entire computer back to factory settings to get rid of it. That was a terrible inconvenience. I have not had this problem since i started using Sandboxie.

5. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    Yikes. That sounds rather nasty!

6. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    Yep. I did a few downloads before discovering it and quit doing them until I discovered it. I never got anything malicious, but I did get a lifetime's supply of toolbars, browser add-ons, "crapware" and adware.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Sandboxie hates me. I'll get a download to credit every once in a while but it seems like a lot of them don't and oddly, it mostly seems to happen when Sandbox comes up with service not implemented. I don't remember any of them crediting when I see that error.

I wish my laptop wasn't too old. It won't take a virtual machine and I wouldn't dare try doing the paid to downloads with this new desktop even with a virtual machine. I'm very protective of this one.

You got off pretty lucky. I am pretty confident that the paid to downloads were what destroyed my old one. That's why I got this new one.

#7Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  8. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    I haven't updated to the 4.## Version of it yet. I wonder if my license would work in it. But since I download ALOT from
    torrents or Usenet, you have to be careful, even if they pass my virus scanner, anything suspicious gets opened and ran in Sandboxie!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you remember the days when Deep Freeze was free then suddenly they upgraded it and the free version didn't work anymore? I'd got so used to it that, I began looking for alternatives. Sandboxie at that time seemed like the best option and to be honest, it did help me a lot until I found software that I could install once and forget about malware and viruses completely.

If you liked sandboxie then I recommend Returnil. They work pretty much the same but with Returnil, your entire system will be protected.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since Sandboxie hates me, I am currently trying Shadow Defender. I like it so far because it's really easy. You just restart your computer and the junk is all gone. Also even though it probably helps that I'm not doing game downloads anymore, I feel like things credit better with it. I haven't got an error with it yet like I did with Sandboxie.

11. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    How do you mean, that the entire system will be protected if you don't mind my asking?

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    It's certainly a good program. Some people would us VMing software to do this sort of thing, but this way is much more efficient and easy to use. Sandboxes are always great for keeping viruses out of your computer, and it's certainly a great idea to use this in conjunction with an AV program, so even before it detects the virus you can have it rooted out of your system.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, it sounds great! I've never heard of Sandbox before I went through this thread, I'll try it out. It seems great for GPT sites but I don't do them anymore because of the malicious adwares, but I guess I can go back to GPT now since the risk is lessened. Thanks for this.