I Would Not Recommend Buying A Fitbit.

Discussion in Product Reviews started by S.O. Price • Feb 6, 2015.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Hello,

The fancy pedometers are all the rage now. I bought a FitBit in May of 2014. I paid a good amount for it; almost $100. For that amount of money I really expected it to last 2-3 years.

Well, I'm on my 3rd FitBit and it's only February, 2015. For various reasons, the FitBit keeps dying on me. I have to contact the company that made it and they've always sent me a new one, but I suppose after a year they won't give me a new one anymore.

I am not that hard on this device. I am hardly a triathlete. I am basically a housewife. I have never worn it in the shower even though the company says you should be able to. So if anyone is in the market for something similar I would recommend going with another brand.

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, thank you for the honest review of this product. I have to admit though that I had never heard of a FitBit before. But then I am not someone who would purchase a pedometer and certainly not one that expensive. But I think if someone is going to make such an investment then they should get their money's worth on the product. Apparenlty, you haven't been able to do just that, and I wonder if other customers have had the same problem. Maybe with a pedometor its probably a good idea to do as you said and go with a cheaper brand. From what you said here this expensive one apparenlty wasn't worth the money.

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would definitely recommend that people should look at the cheaper brands. They may not last as long, but the FitBit is lasting very long either! They do have reviews on Amazon for it, and although most are favorable a lot have the same problem I have had. They seem to only last about 3 months.

4. dillydally

dillydallyNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah I had the exact same issue with my fitbits. I got the zip and it sucked and decided to try the One after a month. It was ok but after a few weeks I was having to charge it everyday. I also got the aria scale and regret it. It's comsistently putting me 5 or pounds over what all other scales say. And I don't think the 100+ price tag for a wireless scale is worth it. Since I also run I switched to the garmin vivofit. I love it! I also have a garmin forerunner 610 that I bought 5 years ago. It's the same as the day I bought it. The vivofit is great because you never have to take it off since it's waterproof. The battery also lasts up to a year and then you can just change the battery. No charging! I like that all my runs and daily activity automatically goes to the garmin app now instead of having one platform for runs and one for activity.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you did this review because you reminded me about my wanting to get a good fitness tracker. Several years ago I bought two or three of them, I don't remember the brand names (although I could go look in my kitchen junk drawer and easily find out, but I don't want to do all of that right now).

Each one of them was a disappointment, and so I had shelved my desire, concern about, and want of getting another one. I did not bother to go online and look up reviews for a good one.
    Well, you have started up a spark in me with this review. I'm ready for a new, reliable tracker and the info here is very helpful.

6. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your input. When my warranty year is up and my FitBit goes kaput again, and I know it will, I will check out the garmin brand!

7. dillydally

dillydallyNew Member

Threads:
    No problem! I will say I do like the Fitbit app, it's slightly more visually appealing than the garmin one but at the end of the day you need the watch to work. What's really exciting is garmin announced some new fitness trackers that will be available within the next month or so. One is very similar to the apple watch but has a gps chip in it. It's a lot cheaper too. I might have to upgrade to that so I don't have to wear two watches while I run lol it's called the vivoactive but they are also releasing the vivosmart 2.