Ice Cream Cake

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Mar 24, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, my honey loves ice cream cake. I was thinking about getting one for him, but the Dairy Queen ones are really expensive. I know Walmart has a different type, but I'm not really a fan of the ones they offer.

I've made a couple different types in the past in order to save quite a bit of money, but I wanted something different. I saw a recipe on a cooking site for a really easy one. It's made using ice cream sandwiches. I'm going to give this one a try. I hope he likes it.

It will still cost more than an average cake, but it will cost less than half of a DQ ice cream cake.

Have you made ice cream cake instead of ordering one? How did yours turn out? Have you tried the ice cream sandwich style one?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We always buy an ice cream cake to celebrate a birthday in our family. Everyone loves ice cream cake. I never thought of making my own. We always buy our ice cream cakes from Baskin Robbins. They make great ice cream cakes. It has never occurred to me to make my own ice cream cake, but after reading this post I think I'm going to make one. They don't seem too hard and I think it would save a lot of money. I found this recipe online.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never ordered one or bought one, but think it looks so delicious. I pass by a Baskin Robins all the time and admire their ice cream cakes and at Safeway too I just browse their ice cream cake area and the prices are out of this world. Think you got the right idea about making an ice cream cake considering prices! The closets I get is like a pound cake on sale and ice cream on sale side by side for an ice cream cake. Smart idea!

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen the video making ice cake out of ice cream sandwiches. It does look easy and very good. I will be giving that a try very soon. I don't usually get ice cream cakes just ice cream with cake.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had an ice cream cake before either. I think that I have seen them at Dairy Queen; but the one in our area closed several years ago, and we don't have anything similar near us.
    I like cake and ice cream together (who doesn't?) but it is probably much cheaper just to get you favorite ice cream and then either buy the cake or make one at home.
    I do like ice cream ssandwiches; but we stay away from sweets pretty much except for an occasional treat; so I haven't even had one of those in several years now.
    I am trying to even remember when I last had cake and ice cream........

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That recipe is great. It even tells you how to make the crunchies. :)

I went to look up Baskin Robbins to compare their prices to Dairy Queen's cakes, but the site doesn't say how much they cost. I think Baskin Robbins would be better quality, but we don't have one around here anyway. I was curious though. I hate websites that won't just come out and tell the dang price. DQ does the same thing, but I have one nearby.

Either way, I'll save more money by making my own, and I can customize it. I think I'm going to adapt the ice cream sandwich cake to include the crunchies from your recipe. Thanks for the link.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just bought an ice cream cake recently for a friend's birthday. It was not that good though. It made me wish I had gotten it at another store, where suprisingly it almost the same price as what I paid. Anyway, I have seen recipes for ice cream cakes, and they don't look too hard to make, but with all the ingredients...I am not really sure how much money you would be saving. I have a recipe for a sundae cake on the last box of yellow cake mix I bought..I was thinking if I made it, I would probably be nibbling the cake all day.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not usually buy ice cream cakes. We always have it separately when we have cake and ice cream. I have seen the one that you are talking about being made from the ice cream sandwiches. I think it would make a good cake and would be much easier than making it from scratch. This would also be a nice quick one to make in the summer time especially when the ice cream sandwiches are on sale.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did end up making one. I went without the crunchies this time though. I forgot to get the stuff to make those.

It ended up costing me around $8.00 to make, but I did already have some caramel sauce. Including the caramel, it would have been just over $10.00. The ones I was looking at were $22.00 and up, so I only spent about a third of what it would cost to buy a ready to eat one (and mine made a lot more, I think). Everyone liked it.

I laid ice cream sandwiches into the pan, poured hot fudge over them, added a layer of ice cream, frosted it with Cool Whip, and drizzled caramel on top.

10. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I would not know how to make an ice cream cake but I bought one once and it was very delicious. The only problem we had was that it melted so fast. So you have to eat it like right away otherwise you will have just fluid cake.