Ice Cream Magic

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by MizzDeeDee • Oct 4, 2013.

1. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    Has anyone tried this yet? I'm very tempted to go out and buy one so I can see if it actually works or not. I guess the only thing holding me back is that I'd be making ice cream constantly, and I certainly don't need that!

For those of you that don't know what this is, it's a device that's shaped like an ice cream cone that makes individual serving sizes of ice cream. The appeal is that it's a serving size, and that it only takes three minutes to make ice cream with this device. That seriously cuts down on the time it takes for a conventional ice cream maker to make ice cream.

The Amazon reviews aren't too stellar, so I'm just curious if anyone has tried this yet.

2. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm embarrassed to say I have. My 4 year old saw it on tv and begged for weeks for one. On a hot day when he was very good I picked one up.
    He was excited! But he did not have the patience for it. You need ingredients that I didn't have on hand (such as heavy cream) and so we improvised. He did not really want to shake and shake it, so I had to help him. In the end, it was mushy. Soft, liquidy "ice cream". And a tiny amount. Really not work the time and ingredients. You get hardly anything. And you can only make enough for one kid at a time.

3. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I figured that it might be something like what you described. It seemed to be a little too good to be true. Plus, it seems like the serving size isn't really a serving size at all.

Thanks for the heads up.

4. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratzNew Member

Threads:
    I got one for my son and the middle of the tablespoon size scoop of icecream that it makes would not turn into icecream. Its stupid. If you want to make icecream at home buy two size freezer bags. a one gallon size and a quart size. Put the ice cream ingredients as in the heavy cream, chocolate syrup or vanilla and sugar in the quart size bag then filll the gallon size bag just under 3 quarters full with ice several tablespoons full of salt and a few tablespoons of water, then place the zipped up bag of heavy cream ingredients inside of the gallon bag of ide and then zip the bag cloosed and shake the heck out of it just like you woould with the icecream magic only make a heck of a lot more and all of it will turn into icecream and you will have yummy home made icecream and have enoouugh for more than 4 llittle bites;

5. 57spotty

57spottyNew Member

Threads:
    i like the double bag idea!! i want my kids to be able to help make the ice cream and understand about science and cooking and measuring and helping in the kitchen, but the little shaker thingy that makes 4 tablespoons of liquid gross-ness doesn't sound like a good plan at all! thank you!

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I did a full review of these here:

The biggest problem really is the part where you have to shake so much. A few minutes doesn't seem like much until you get about halfway through and can't wait to be done...but then you have to just keep going and going and going. Oy.

7. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I had a friend who tried this thing and he said much the same as you all have said. My father bought us this one time as a gift, but I haven't tried it. Even with all the baking and cooking I do, I don't think I would be able to use this. I'm not that strong, physically. Thank you all for the advice, though. It helped me make my decision not to use it.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Or you could just buy ice cream. At Walmart, during the summer they have great sales on Breyer's and Edy's ice cream. In July I've bought Breyer's ice cream for $2.50 for a half gallon at Walmart.
    Instead of laboring over making ice cream, just get it on sale. It's summer, so even fast food places have BOGO ice cream cones.

9. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely does cut down on the time a conventional ice cream maker would take. It's been a hard life for us conventional ice cream maker users. Seriously, who makes ice cream? This product doesn't save time for anyone. People tend to buy their ice cream. Sure, if they want to make some ice cream, this is the product for them. but a selling point of "it makes ice cream faster then the conventional method", is a joke. I've never known someone that made their own ice cream.

10. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I have put the ice cream ingredients in a zip lock bag and then stuck it into a coffee can closed the lid and rolled it on the floor playing a game with my toddler of rolling it. The rolling helped shake it and when the game was done there was some ice cream ready to scoop out in the bag.

My kid badly wants ice cream magic but I refuse to get it for her.