Ice creams with alcohol

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Jun 12, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This year has appeared something new, ice-creams with alcohol. I recall for example the Mojito or the Magnum Champagne. I've tried the mojito and honestly I hated it, the ice-cream in itself is ok, but those great leaves in the middle are simply horrible! Have you tried ice-creams with alcohol, is it something common in your country?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a bar for a long time and I wonder if they have this new menu on their list of items yet. But ugh! I would try a little but I will not drink it. I prefer for the alcohol and ice cream to be separated to be honest. I love mojito the way it is though I don't mind to have the mint leaves on my ice cream (without the alcohol).

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Eh, I find it a little weird actually.

It's not like you're going to eat ice cream enough in order to get drunk, so this is purely for the taste side. And for taste, do I really want my ice cream to taste like various liquors? Eh, not so much. Like....I might enjoy one that uses Godiva chocolate liquor, but is it going to taste better than simply Godiva chocolate? Probably not...

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of ice cream with alcohol. Does it really exist and people really buy this? I think this is taking alcohol to a level it doesn't need to be at! Alcohol is widely abused over here in the USA. Next thing we know, it'll be food stamp approved. Again, big big mistake on that makers idea.

5. helloserendipity

helloserendipityNew Member

Threads:
    As a dessert, ice cream with alcohol seems a little odd, but I really like to put Kahlua on Cookies and Cream Ice cream, especially if I'm planning on drinking with friends afterwards. Obviously, this isn't going to make anyone drunk, but I think it adds a nice, sweet flavor. I don't think I'd be able to vouch for other kinds of alcohol flavored ice cream, but Kahlua as a topping is delicious!

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of it but then I wasn't exactly paying any attention. I am not a big ice cream eater, and in my travels around the city I haven't really come across any ice cream with alcohol. I remember when I travelled in Austria that they had some vanilla ice cream dessert with rum on the menu in one of the hotels where we were staying. But I didn't really feel tempted.
    I can't imagine what ice cream with champagne flavour would taste like. I don't think I need to know. :)

#6Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard about alcohol ice cream. It doesn't really surprise me though. I'm not a drinker so alcohol ice doesn't really appeal to me. I do have some friends who enjoy it especially the Mojito ice cream.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard about these and honestly, it doesn't sound all too appealing to me. Ice cream and alcohol are two things that don't really mix in my book and really doesn't sound like it should go together either. Plus, you're basically adding a bunch of empty calories to ICE CREAM, which isn't good for you in the first place.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I have also seen a print ad for ice creams with alcohol in the newspaper, but I really paid no attention to it because I don't drink at all, in fact I hate the taste of alcohol, so I just ignored it. I don't even remember what the brand name was.

10. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    There are tons of restaurants who do alcoholic milkshakes. They are actually pretty good. I've tried making some at home, but can never get the combination quite right. I don't really understand the whole champagne flavor? Never heard of that nor I can imagine it. But liquors like Bailey's or any other creamy kind go quite nicely in a milkshake.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never tasted this, but I don't think I'll like it because I'm not a big fan of alcohol taste in general, and I don't like mixing in too much flavors in my ice cream anyway because I prefer my ice cream as plain as possible. I'd still be up for tasting them, though, I just don't think I would like them. Unfortunately, they are not very popular flavors in my country as I don't think I've come across any alcoholic flavors in any of the ice cream stores I've passed by. I suppose there's probably at least one store here that sells it that I just never heard of, and I'll be trying to find one soon now that I've been made aware of it. Thanks!

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, it's not a winner that is for sure, or else everyone would be selling them. The mojito taste was ok, refreshing, but those "herbs" in the middle were ridiculous, what was the point in putting something in an ice cream that can't be eaten?

I will still try Magnum champagne (lol), but my hopes aren't very high! :D

[​IMG]

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Ice cream and alcohol together? Never tried it! And thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I like them separated better, especially in a warm day when I need to cool. Plus, it seems like an expensive mix, right? I think that the point of such mixes is to sell by curiosity or to sell to rich kids that find such drinks 'stylish'. I'll just stick with my cheap ice-cream thanks :eek:

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually, these alcohol ice-creams are the same price as the other ones. I imagine that they have a minimum percentage of alcohol and yes, I think they are celebrating something this year, so these ice-creams are from a limited edition that probably will not return next year, unless they are a big success, which I doubt.