Ideal Breakfast?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Jun 18, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What is the best or healthiest breakfast. I may depend on which part of the world you live in; Europe is continental with pastries, Asia is often noodle soup or congee, USA could be anything from pancakes to grits or waffles and in the UK it's cereal or a fry up known as a full English.

These days porridge is seen as the healthiest breakfast or fruit with granola or muesli. Personally I like eggs or a pain au chocolat if I am in a hurry. To me they are healthy or a vegetarian fry up I see as healthy or beans on toast. (Another healthy popular British breakfast)

Is you favorite breakfast healthy or practical?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now this is a bit comical. I totally prefer unhealthy breakfasts! I always like those ham-and-egg, bacon-and-egg and corned beef with egg combos. I guess eggs make your breakfast feel more like breakfast. Yes, this isn't a logical practice but you can charge it to eggs' innate appeal. You can cook them in so many ways - poached, scrambled, omelet, devilled or sunny-side up. However, eating eggs alone is dull and boring so you always pair it up with something meaty. Spicy tuna makes for a good meat substitute too.

3. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Our breakfast depends on our mood: sometimes we feel like pancakes (which we do whole wheat), sometimes eggs (can be boiled or scrambled or veggie omelet), sometimes we do corncakes, or oatmeal, or "

" (cream made out of corn flour). I DO try to make it as healthy as possible though.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that breakfast gives you the chance to get a really good start to the day, and for this reason I will always try to make the most of it. I will have hot oats with dried fruit mixed into it, with a homemade fruit juice on the side. That way, I know that I have at least two portions of fruit before I have even started the day, and it is a great set up for me. Plus, the oats and fruit are very cheap as well, which means that I am also saving a lot of money along the way!

5. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite and daily breakfast involves eggs, turkey bacon, and some veggies of some sort depending on what I'm in the mood for. If I am in the mood for breakfast tacos, I will throw together a quick pico de gallo and throw it on top of the eggs. If I just want toast, I will make a quick green salad for the side.

6. regicide3342

regicide3342New Member

Threads:
    I love the traditional british breakfast. Eggs, bacon some earl grey.. what could possibly be better than that? Also russian breakfast is kind of nice.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ooh, what is a Russian breakfast?

How do those of you who work find the time to cook all these delicious sounding dishes? If I ever do feel like eating in the morning, the most I ever have the time to make is toast!

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if my breakfast is healthy or practical but I'm sure it is conventional and based on what I believe a breakfast should be, based on my childhood days, which basically include coffee as a must-be-included part of it, besides of hot cakes or fried/scrambled eggs.

However the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health recommends make your breakfast up of these suggestions:
    • Pick 2-3 foods, including at least one from each of the following food groups:
      -bread and grain (i.e.cereal, toast, muffin)
      -milk and milk product (i.e. low-fat yogurt, low-fat milk)
      -fruit or vegetable group (i.e bananas, apples, carrots)
    • Pick up portable breakfast items when at the grocery store. You should buy foods like fruit, low-fat yogurt, whole grain breakfast bars, or granola bars for those mornings when you have to eat breakfast on the go.
    • Replace or accompany that morning cup of coffee with a glass of orange juice or milk.
    • Make an omelette! You can shorten preparation time by chopping up your vegetables ahead of time.
    • Get up 15 minutes earlier. You can fix and consume a healthy breakfast in 15 minutes or less.
    • Plan ahead to eat breakfast. This means you should decide what you are going to eat for breakfast before the next morning. You can save time by putting out the box of cereal or cutting up some fruit the night before.

9. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I try to be healthy but I'm not focused on it, I love all foods! My ideal breakfast would be chocolate chip pancakes with bacon, its just so good, I could eat it every morning if I could. There are some days where I feel like something healthy so I have a bowl of oatmeal and toast or yogurt.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually a bunch of fruit and my beloved coffee. Sometimes I make homemade hash browns with it (just potatoes, baked, nothing fancy). Anything else just weighs me down.. meats, oils, cereals, breads, dairy etc.. I used to have the typical breakfasts every day and I don't know how I managed when just the thought of it makes me want to sit down and rest lol. My breakfasts vary, but fruit is my fave and I always have a lot of energy and never feel weighed down.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never liked to eat cold food first thing in the morning. I often see people downing their muesli with cold milk and raw fruit for breakfast. It makes me squirm. I need warming, nourishing food when I get up. I prefer quinoa porridge with steamed pears or apples, or buckwheat pancakes with tahini and a drizzle of honey, along with a cup of hot, natural chocolate.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I eat veggies during lunch and dinner, but breakfast is another story. I love fried eggs, noodles, and rice in the morning. I need protein and carbs to get me going through the day. :)

13. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    A popular breakfast here in Israel is salad fixings with cottage cheese. I just saw a health show that said this type of breakfast is good after a workout to replenish protein and vitamins.
    Cereals, ( cold and hot) and waffles are my personal favorites.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like cottage cheese with peaches or strawberries. It is quick and has protein. A baked potato topped with cheese is also a quick breakfast when I do not want to eat oatmeal.

15. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I personally love Cream of Wheat and bacon for breakfast and this would be ideal for me to have each morning. Unfortunately I am a busy person and do not always have time to make it. If I had my way, I would eat this meal each morning for breakfast. I am not really into sweet breakfast foods unless I am really in the mood for them.

16. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually eat spiced oatmeal with raisins, crunchy peanut butter, and sometimes cranberries. But I think I may need more protein to start my day, so I’m thinking of cooking a little veggie omelet the night before so I can eat them the next morning. I’m often somewhat pressed for time these days, so that would be easiest for me.

17. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I do no0t always eat breakfast even though that I know it is important to start the day this way. When I go away, I will always eat a full English breakfast if it is included. If there is a buffet style breakfast I will opt for fruit. I am trying to lose weight at the moment and I have been having either fresh grapefruit or watermelon for breakfast. As a rule, my children eat cereals or toast for breakfast. I try to avoid sugary cereals for them if I can.