Ideas For Repurposing Pallets

Discussion in Home & Garden started by cocolgooh • Mar 9, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen furniture made from pallets, such as chairs and tables, or shelving units before and shoe racks before. I think this is a great way to repurpose something that would otherwise just be sat around doing nothing. I was thinking about trying to turn some old pallets into some larger picture frames, and possibly a dog bed for my dogs to use, but I've not got around to actually trying those projects just yet.

Has anyone else made anything out of old pallets?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have not personally made anything from old pallets, but would like to start once I get a garage that has a good workspace for me to create in. I have seen people paint them and then hang them on the wall do display plates and stuff. The ideas are limitless because they are just wood slats that are nailed together. Pallets can be very valuable to someone who is handy and creative.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have a good, but unused Ikea twin sized mattress that I am thinking of putting on top of stacked pallets for outdoor seating. I saw that I can cover it in some outdoor fabric and put it on the pallets for some cozy seating. Next I have to get some cute pillows to match!

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Well, here are some ideas we've had for repurposing our wooden pallet:
    • Coffee Table
    • Room Divider
    • Shoe Rack
    • Bed Headboard
    Good luck and show us your finished project! I'd be sure excited to see it!

P.S.

You can find examples of these online because that's what we did when we wanted to repurpose our wooden pallet.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love all the pallet ideas. I actually bought a pallet to try to make stuff from it. It's very difficult to remove the boards, at least for me. So, I'll probably stick to trying the ideas that mostly leave the pallet intact, like the outdoor furniture ones. I've been wanting to make some outdoor furniture anyway, and there are tons of cute ideas for it.

Also, be careful about which pallets you choose. Some are made of treated wood that shouldn't be used indoors. There are several articles available on how to properly select and use pallets. I've seen some on Pinterest. I'll be reading more of them before I buy any more pallets, but yeah, pallet projects rock.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen so many good ideas on Pinterest, it is hard to decide where to start I like the idea of using the pallets as plant stands on your deck. I have read that you have to be careful with the wood because some of it is toxic. It is possible to create some out sounding items from pallets.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have used pallets only outdoors for a railing around my screen house. They were rectangular instead of the usual square shape. I sawed off broken slats, removed protruding nails, did some sanding then painted them white. I placed a couple of large plant containers one on each side. I can hang lanterns outside the screen house in the evening on hangers which I still have to do until then they are inside.

They were free to haul away from a house that was being renovated. It was a lot of hard work and took two weekends to complete.