If you could upgrade one part of your computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Mar 19, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    What part would you upgrade if you could only pick one? It can be internal, peripherals, monitors or whatever.
    I would get an SSD. RAM and CPUs have more variety but for SSDs it's like you either have one or you don't. I've heard great things about them. It would be nice to have everything load faster and be more responsive. I would like a better CPU too but an SSD would make a greater difference for me.

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely upgrade my CPU to an i7 or an 8-core AMD, God knows I need that much power. I have an i5, its a fairly decent CPU but the things I do with my computer, it just can't handle it that well. Also, I would upgrade my GPU, maybe to an Nvidia Quadro or a GTX 880, that would be sweet. Also, I'll slap in a SSD for an extra boost in speed. RAM, well, not as much, I have 12GB's and I don't think I ever used as much as 50% of it.

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I would upgrade my Disk to an SSD as well, even though they are quite expensive, I'd even be happy just getting an SSD where I could put my OS, even the Windows self diagnostic thing says my HDD is by far the weak link in my computer.

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    If i could upgrade 1 part of my computer. I would upgrade my hard drive. I store all of my media files on my HDD, and the more space i have the better. My current HDD is only 500Gb. 2-3TB would be perfect. That way i would never run out of storage space.

5. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I wold upgrade my motherboard since it does not have SATA III. When I bought it there was no option for it but it has lasted me 5 years with no problems but I would like to have something that is future proof or as close as possible.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    If I could only update one part of my laptop then it would have to be my video card, it randomly crashes my laptop when I'm watching videos. I'm not going to update it though as I'm buying a new laptop in a couple of weeks.

7. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I would upgrade my app installation drive to an SSD. I normally leave my computer on for a few days at a time, then turn it off for one full night. However, if I have an SSD, I would turn my computer off every day to save on electricity. Reason I don't is because 1) it's slow to start up and 2) I use it for ECoin mining.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    If it was me I would upgrade my hard disk. I would upgrade from the SATA to a SSD. Solid state drives are much more fast to use. There was a time I tested two laptops that one had a SATA HDD and one had a SSD HDD, The amazing thing is that the one that had a SSD HDD booted twice faster than the one that had a SATA HDD.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I had a bigger hard drive and more RAM. I like to store a lot of photos and documents so memory matters to me.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is too easy. My RAM needs to be upgraded. I thought it would be enough but I guess it's only built for basic surfing and I do a little more than that. I just don't have the money to set aside for it but everything else seems fine to me since it's a new computer.

11. cedrickismw

cedrickismwMember

Threads:
    I would toss in the maximum amount of RAM immediately. Please software developers stop creating memory hogging applications that use unnecessary amounts of RAM to store information. Remember all applications have to share it including the OS for whatever BG processes it has running as well.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I already have enough external hard drives and I don't really need as much power nowadays so I'd say that I probably just want to upgrade my monitor. It would be great to have a very big TV as my monitor so I could just use the computer from very far away and not have to be stuck in front of it sitting on an office chair. After that I'd most likely want to have a new keyboard and mouse as well like wireless ones so I can use them from far away, most probably sitting at our living room couch.

13. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I've never tried a Solid State Drive before, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing out on!

My laptop has a 6 GB RAM, which is more than enough for me in all cases. It also has an over 500 GB HDD, so I'm good in that department as well. It does, however, have an AMD processor (oh no!). Even though it's an A8 processor (I bought this two years ago), it's just not cutting it that much for me anymore.

It overheats, and it doesn't run as fast as it used to be when I took it out of the beautiful HP box. I'd upgrade to an Intel Core i5, even an i3 if I don't have another choice! It's just not a good thing to have in your PC for more than a few months, in my opinion.

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a pretty high-end customized computer, but I would definitely go for a larger Solid State Drive, hands down. All the other components are top of the line, but my computer is lacking a quick SSD. I'd like to add a 256 GB SSD to my computer, and that's what my decision would be if I only had to choose one thing. My computer is going to be pretty powerful, even in the next couple of years, so I don't have to worry too much there.

15. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Same here. It's the first thing that came to mind when I saw this topic. I need a lot of RAM because I tend to open several applications at the same time. I also open a lots of websites (several windows/browsers) when surfing the net. :)

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The RAM and the processor. I only have 1 GB of RAM and it can run Bluestacks, plus my processor is slow at only 2.20 GHZ, so if I have money to spare, then I will just by a new 2nd hand PC, because I don't want to muddle this branded HP PC.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd also upgrade the processor and get myself more RAM. Don't know if that could work on my old PC though. For me an upgrade wouldn't have much of an effect, what I'll need is a complete replacement because I'd change so many parts that what I'd have in the end is a new PC. Why bother when I could probably get a refurbished PC at a cheaper price?

18. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I'd definitely switch my HDD our for an SSD, it's just such a big difference in boot times and also loading times for games. My CPU and GPU are actually pretty good, but the loading times for some games are incredibly annoying. It's nothing I want to change right now, because I don't have the money for it right now, but it's definitely something I'll change in the future.

19. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    On my MacBook I would get a solid state drive because the startup disk is so slow. On the Mac Pro I would upgrade the graphics card since the one it has is failing.

20. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'll definitely pick up a new monitor. A larger one that has built-in speakers. It'd be better if it's 4K enabled. My current Samsung 24" monitor is getting quite old. I use it for console gaming and work everyday so it's starting to show its age. I also use it to watch movies so a larger display is always a good thing for me. I'm satisfied with my PC spec since I don't use it for PC gaming, only for work.