If you could work to travel, would you?

Discussion in Travel started by dieselfit • Nov 18, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I was looking online for news and I ran into one that really stood out. There was a program endorsed by Mitt Romney and apparently people can work a day or two for free flights. They would have their accommodation and expenses all paid for. One couple said they had to work in a sewer plan for a whole day with her husband, then to a private prison. Would you guys do this if it was offered in your country?

2. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I don't know if I would do those jobs! I know I'd love to be a travel writer/photographer and get paid to travel like that!

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the job. I wouldn't do it for those jobs but I would definitely do it for jobs that I could actually enjoy. Flight costs are really expensive. Hotel costs are also expensive. So if I could get both of those paid for me, there would be no limitations to where I could go. Cool! :D

4. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree it would depend on the job. I mean if it's a job you would hate doing, why bother with such a thing?

When I think about it though, wouldn't it be smarter to just work a job that offers money and just save rather than working the same amount of time for this kind of program?

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I would, but only while I was still young and without a family. Once I had a family, I couldn't be away from them for that much time in a year.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    YES! In a heart beat I have always wanted to travel so if working for a day or two in something I never have before and my payment is travel I would take it. Not only is it basically free travel but you can learn some experience from the jobs you do. This would be my dream!

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I would want to work to travel. One thing is that I won't leave my family for that, even though it's only a day or two. Second, isn't this kind of work temporary? I would not do this kind of work considering it sounds like a little too risky for me.

8. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I understand that the offer was work and get paid with a trip right? Not work outside your city as some here are answering. Either cases, I wouldn't mind both, I love to travel so depending on the destiny and my free time (if working) I would certainly want to.

9. Carolinacustom

CarolinacustomNew Member

Threads:
    Definitely! Getting to travel for free would be great and I'd also like to get the perspective of another, possibly less desirable occupation. I'm always up for a "walk in another persons shoes" kind of day:)

10. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe a few years back, when i was alone in my life, i would accept it without thinking twice, but nowadays i would had to refuse because of how many things i have with me right now.

11. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Really depends on what kind of jobs we're talking about. Working at a prison and in a sewer plan doesn't sound like too much fun, and not always I'd want to spend my money traveling.
    So I guess no. I don't like those jobs and I'd rather have control over my money.

12. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I agree working at a sewer and a prison doesn't sound too appealing. I can see how it can pay off to work in such places and being able to fly for free at the same time. You would have all the expenses paid for. That being said, some people like to control their money and others like to be rewarded with such things like this !

13. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I would work to travel definitely. If my job requires me to travel then it's awesome! I would want to have that!

14. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It would be awesome right. How many hours would you work for the best deal possible? I mean if you could work a normal job where you could control your income for the same amount of time as you would for a work to fly free program, which one would you do?

15. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    i think you guys are looking at it wrong. its not a job where you GET to travel FOR the job. Its a promotion of sorts that lets you work in lieu of payment for the flight or vacation you want.

In that case i would most definitely do this. The vacation would have to be worth the type of job i was doing, but ive never been above any type of job

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I work then I'll opt for hard cash which I can spend as I please. The constraints laid down by that program: 'work for travel' are quite off-putting. Supposing t's not the right time for you to travel if circumstances don't permit you to, say like having to care for a sick kid?

17. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I mean why work to travel when you can work to do anything. Money is the freedom of movement or at least for most of the time. Perhaps if it was work that could be done online it would motivate to sign up!

18. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would love to travel as a job :). I did some traveling around Europe a few years ago but I would love to go further, I would love to see America and many other places in the world. I wouldn't do it just now though because my daughter is still in school, but once she's finished I would go for it!

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would do it in a heart beat. A few days of distasteful work would be well worth it for a trip say to Paris, Venice, Brazil, New York or even Canada. If fact, I would like to know more about this organization. In fact, I'm going to do a little research myself. ;)

20. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    if you have to care for a sick kid then you just wouldnt take them up on the offer! simple.