If you HAD to be a cashier in your life...

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by JoanMcWench • Dec 13, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    ...where would you prefer to be a cashier? Which company is highest on the list? We've talked a lot about companies mistreating their employees but we seem to be ignoring the ones that treat them well. I can think of about a hundred I would absolutely NOT want to work for but I am having a hard time of which I would like to work for. I guess I really have to consider where I would want an employee discount or free food.

2. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    I would honestly consider a higher end franchise like Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Those are two places where I would like to get an employee discount for manning the register. Then again, I just like to wear something along the lines of formal dress. Not upscale casual workplace style clothing like you see at Mcdonalds or Jack in the Box, besides Olive Garden and Red Lobster both have much better food than a number of other establishments.

3. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    If I really had to be a cashier, I would much rather prefer being one at a restaurant. I don't have many in mind, but I would probably go to Eastside Marios, as they have great food and everyone just seems so happy there. I'm sure there are also discounts for employees, and it's not like I would be cooking anything. I would just man the cash and not worry about anything else. Not much work involved and it seems pretty easy.

4. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I was a cashier for two years and really didn't like it. Yes, there will be some stores where the employers treat the workers right, but there will also be customers that are rude and give you a hard time for no reason. If I had to pick somewhere to be a cashier, I would choose Aldi's because they pay more than most places I know of around here and the employees sit, rather than stand their whole shift.

5. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I would pick Aldi's. You get to sit down and don't have to bag. While I believe they tend to keep their employees busy, they also tend to pay them quite well, far over minimum wage. This is the reason we shop at Aldi's frequently. This business can somehow offer lower prices on many items, while maintaining some semblance of quality and still pay their employees fairly for their time. The country would be far better off if more companies functioned like Aldi's does.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted to be cashier at Walmart twice, but mostly because of the convenience to work near home. The store is locate a couple of blocks away.

My applications were declined and I don't know exactly why, but I'm happy such thing has happened because my cousin is now a cashier in another Walmart store and through her talk I have realized that such job is a heavy load.

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    If I had to be a cashier then I would work for a buffet restaurant. I would choose a buffet only because of the free food. Plus, I heard that you can take any uneaten food home.

8. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably want to be a cashier at a place that does not get a lot of business. However I would also want to get some decent amount of business to ensure I make a great amount of money. I would love to work the cashier at a place like Penn Station, they don't be as deep as Mcdonalds or something but they do get business none the less.

9. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've worked for Gamestop as a cashier before I thought it wasn't too bad. The store didn't have too many customers so I had a lot of time to do stuff, it was freaking boring at first but soon I brought books and stuff to read, and time flew. Of course the supervisor wasn't too happy but I didn't care since it was only a summer job.

10. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    If I was to work at a cashier, I would like to do so at a Theme Park. The benefits are great. Most theme parks have a window that separates consumers from cashiers. All of the ones I have seen, have a very comfortable chair, and plenty of space.

I believe that the perks of free entrance to the parks, discounts on their merchandise, and sitting down, would make a good cashier job.

I have to say that I have been a cashier before, and I would not want to do it again.

11. XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXxNew Member

Threads:
    If I had to be a cashier I would choose to be a cashier at a smaller store, any small store like the dollar tree or dollar general or family video, the people that work in smaller stores seem more friendly. (In my experience anyway) I would never want to work at a place like Walmart though because the people that work there are all about drama, not to mention I heard horror stories of how Walmart treats their employees.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was a cashier ( or sales associate) for a few years in a department store. I really liked it. The department store has been bought out by Macy's. I also worked at a competing department store. If I had to be a cashier, I would choose a department store like Macy's or Bloomingdale's. The employee discounts and the advanced notice of sales is totally worth working there.

13. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I was a cashier for Walmart and Super 10 and I say what an experience you encounter so many different people and attitudes that you have to learn to balance them all at one time to keep cool. But overall walmart treated me fairly well, they gave bonuses and did a lot more than what they do today for their workers. Super 10 was just plain outrageous with their employees, they would have corporate managers come in the store weekly to check the camera for the week as if their cashiers were stealing, it bothered me because I am a very honest person, so I end up leaving because the managers would ask you all kinds of crazy question like you were being interrogated.

14. kal30314

kal30314New Member

Threads:
    If I had to be a cashier I would like to work for Save-A-Lot grocery store. I don't know how much the employee pay per hour but they are all ways friendly. You don't have to worry about bagging the grocery the customers do their own bagging. It not a big store and too have great deals. All ways stock and clean. The true is I don't here no one talk about this place which is a good thing. I know they all ways giving out freebies to their customer, so I just imaging what the employee get in benefit. Employee are happy when you keep seeing the same employee over and over again. It just seem like a warm environment to work at. No chair to sit on that the only thing I don't like, I am not a person to be standing up all day.

15. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    I was a cashier at Panera Bread and it was the worst job I have ever had. I feel so sorry for cashiers when I have to checkout, especially at restaurants. They have to deal with the rudest and most obnoxious customers! I would also hate to be forced to work for walmart. Those poor woman also have to deal with some bad customers.

16. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I actually worked as a cashier for 2 years at a Big Lot's store, and I loved it! I worked the service desk and also did bookkeeping. I really enjoyed the social aspect of it, as I really like to talk to people, and we had a lot of regulars. They paid us above minimum wage and we got a 20% employee discount. This was many years ago, so I don't know if they still operate the same. This was one of my favorite jobs before I got into the medical field.

17. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the proof behind the idea that being a cashier is a "bad" job. Although it might not be somebodies life ambition to be a cashier, there are certainly much worse off jobs that you could be doing. If I had to be a cashier, I'd choose one of the supermarkets like ASDA or Tescos here in the UK. They have strict procedures and strict policies and mistreatment simply wouldn't be allowed and wouldn't go unnoticed.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I had to be a cashier, then I would probably choose to be a cashier in a bookstore like Powerbooks, because the ambiance is quiet and peaceful so the stress levels will be low too. I definitely don't want to work in a fast food, supermarket or department store because for sure I will be 5 times as tired and stressed as compared to working at a bookstore.

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with Sidney. A bookstore would be a great environment to be in since I would probably not care much about a food discount at a place I spent too much time at. I also think it would be interesting to meet and talk with the customers.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to work as a cashier/salesperson at records stores, I liked the discounts on music and putting my music trivia knowledge to use. I didn't like the pretentious customers that would talk down to me for not liking a certain band or artist. I've been called an idiot before for not liking some crappy Top 40 band.

Most of the music stores in my city have closed because a lot of people just download music. If I was going to be a cashier today, I'd want to work at a video game store because I know a lot about video games and enjoy playing them and collecting them.