If you have kids, you need unlimited text on your mobile phone plan

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Zyni • Sep 25, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If your kids are anything like mine, you will need unlimited texting on your cell phone plan. How do teens text that much? Seriously? They used to cost us a fortune.

Of course, unlimited texting is fairly common now, but some plans are better than others. Don't be shy about asking questions when you look for a plan. Inquire about any and all discounts. Sometimes, they won't tell you unless you ask.

Ask for itemized charges as well, to avoid any hidden fees.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can get them to subscribe to a prepaid promo that has an unlimited texting plan, then much better. I used to also love texting when I was a teen, but good thing I'm past that already. If you can afford it, you should also get them an unlimited call plan, whether prepaid or postpaid just to be safe.

3. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    This is very true. I made the mistake of not inquiring about unlimited texting and my bill went through the roof but we eventually got it settled with the carrier. Another good tip is to make sure they understand how much data they have available on their plan if they do have any and to make sure they do not go over their limit because it can get very expensive very quickly.

4. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that you need to have an unlimited plan for texting to give to your kids. You shouldn't be giving a phone to a kid if they're not responsible enough to use it within the limits you set up for them. Sure, they like to text a lot. So if they do go over then make them pay for it by taking it out of their allowance, or take their phone away from them for a couple of days, weeks, etc. If you're a parent, BE A PARENT. Don't just sit back and allow them to run up the cell phone bill.

Smartphones these days don't need ANY texting plans. Between iPhones and iMessages, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc. there really is no reason to send a traditional SMS text. If you give your kids your old iPhone chances are they can iMessage. Even cheap Android phones can run popular messaging apps. You're already paying for data, plus you can use these messaging apps over Wi-Fi. Adult or child, there really is no reason to be paying for a texting plan. Call up your provider and simply but a text block on all your lines. Your kids will all find a way to message one another besides strictly SMS.

Why pay a separate charge for texting on top of data? Byte for byte texting (even unlimited plans) costs something like 10,000x more than regular data.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A relative of mine used to let his kid play with his phone. He's about 7 years old and is gaming addict [at his age]. First thing he did when got the phone from his dad was to download a game. The costs added up quite fast until eventually, he [the dad] decided to get the kid his own phone but the rules were, he should never take it out of the house. I think this should help parents whose kids text a lot. They'd have to use their own money — it will teach them how to manage cash.

6. rezonate

rezonateNew Member

Threads:
    I have Sprint and they offer Unlimited Talk, Text and Web for $50. It's definitely better to go with a unlimited plan because it saves money in the long run. In the past my dad has made a mistake of not going without an unlimited plan and my brother went over his text and data costing my dad a ton of money. It's important to remember that not all carriers offer unlimited everything but a lot do offer family plan and packages that cater to individuals that need sufficient data, text and call. It's important to do your research, don't be afraid to ask the reps at the store questions. If you want to go with a cheap Carrier a lot of people go with Metro PCS they offer unlimited everything for $40 only.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, if you have kids I'd advise you to have unlimited texting. My cousins text a bunch. Probably untold thousands of texts per month. Personally I'd advise anyone who does a lof of texting to get an unlimited plan just to be safe. I do a lot more texting than talking on the phone so I have the unlimited plan. Makes the most sense to me.

8. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    That is true. Kids and teens tend to text a whole lot, I know I did when I was younger. Also I would consider getting getting some type of data plan because kids love downloading apps and staying on social media. Not having the right data plan could also make your bill be high.

9. Baxate

BaxateNew Member

Threads:
    I have a kid that just doesn't text much. He isn't socially awkward, he just communicates with is his friends over Skype. If they have a question about homework or anything really he will Skype. I usually text him around once a day while at work, just to check on him. I think that if your child is an avid texter, unlimited is probably the way to go. My son still has unlimited, even if he doesn't take full advantage of it.

10. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above poster about setting up rules and being a parent. Cell phones aren't a necessity but a cool gadget to have indeed. Limits should be set forth and the said child should follow them. If they break the rules, they lose phone time and have to pay for their going over. Why should a parent have to go all out and get unlimited if they can't afford it? Kids need to show alot of maturity to even be considered a phone.

11. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with OP. We live in the century of speed, we're everything goes as fast as possible, we use texts, phone calls and internet in order to reach each other faster. Nowadays kids seem to abuse it, they just can't stop talking on phone, they shall keep their phone in their hands messaging other teenagers even when they eat or travel by the bus. The only thing parents can do to ensure they won't pay all their incomes on their kids phone subscription is to take a subscription with unlimited minutes/texts/internet data.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. My kid barely uses her phone and spends all her social time on her laptop on Facebook and Twitter. If I had an unlimited texting plan, it would go to waste because her phone is sitting in a drawer right now and she's messaging her friend on Facebook.