If You Intend To Buy New Clothes When Traveling

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jul 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The proper thing to do to avoid lugging around a lot of luggage which you could be charged for [if you're flying] is to pack only a few, very old clothes which you can get rid of once you buy your new clothes wherever you are traveling.

It does look like an added expense when you could simply carry enough clothes to take along with you and avoid the expense. But remember climates are somewhat different around the world so instead of packing the wrong clothes it's much better to buy the right ones in the place you're visiting.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't worry about clothes so much when I travel. I just take along something for every weather condition, and if it's necessary, I will buy some additional clothes at my destination. There are sometimes special occasions, such as weddings or other celebrations, where I feel that nothing in my luggage really measures up for the event, and that's when I go out and buy something new.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been times when I did not know what I wanted to where when I was traveling so I just wore my usual with the intention of purchasing something when I got where I was going, I left enough room in the suitcase for the additional items on my return.

4. Billynlex

BillynlexNew Member

Threads:
    I think despite there being "wrong clothes", it's more important to pay attention to the material the clothes are made of. If you're going to a hot, humid environment, don't take cotton. Cotton is so uncomfortable in these climates.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Most travels are planned anyway, at least all of mine are. Checking out the forecast at the particular destination pretty much gives you an idea of what to bring along with you. I usually buy clothes at the destination merely for souvenirs. Even for special occasions, I make sure that my lugage accommodates those special clothes.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I usually travel by Greyhound bus or in a car with my boyfriend or friends. I do have a guilty pleasure of buying new clothes when I go out of town, but it's not an excessive amount. Just a few tops or pants here and there. I don't stay in the destination for a long time. We usually have enough money to travel for about 4 days at the longest before returning home. And I agree on buying the right clothes when you get to a place and the climate is different. I've done this before when I traveled to Chicago during the winter season. I made sure to get clothing suitable for the Windy City during my stay.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a good idea. First you are going to where you are going because of the specialty of the place. If it were not the clothes, the good ones or the cheap ones, then buying or heading to clothes shop can be a little waste of time. And the money that you will use to buy the clothes you could spend for something else you wouldn't be able to spend with in your country or to which place you are living in. The money could be used instead of buying new clothes for the immersing yourself with the culture of the place you are having a vacation like trying out their cuisines.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I keep this in mind whenever I travel because S you've mentioned the climate is different Andersen though I can prepare for it I think it's still much better to just buy items there as much as possible because it helps with blending in a bit more as well. I also think about the amount I'd have to spend for luggage and the effort I'd have to put forward just to bring them along and I found that traveling light is really the way to go because having too many items to bring along just makes the trip stressful.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband has that habit of buying clothes when we go abroad. Last week when we were in Singapore, he bought 2 long sleeve shirts on the pretext that he has nothing to wear anymore. And he bought 3 t-shirts more so he can have a new shirt at bedtime. That way, according to him, our baggage in the departure is not heavy and naturally it will become heavier when we head for home with the new clothes.

10. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    A little insight: My country's far poorer than the country I visited a year back, but for a reason or another, I bought over 20 T-shirts, 5 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of boots and some key rings half the price compared to what I could buy in my country, believe it or not. It was around $170 where I bought the respective stuff, and over $300 in the country where I live! What??!?!!?

And when I said my country's way poorer... I'm not exaggerating at all.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's actually a good idea, just make sure that there is enough space on the luggage and you don't go over the maximum weight when you fly back home, since I remember my cousin who had to leave some stuff behind because she has exceeded the maximum baggage weight.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like your idea. The last time we traveled we ended up going to a great outlet mall. Our whole family bought quite a bit of new clothing so I had to make room in our luggage for the new clothes. I really had to squish and cram things in one. This one bag ended up over the weight allowance so there I was at the airport rearranging clothing so that I didn't have to pay for an overweight piece of luggage. Now I think I might even travel with an empty suitcase. We are a family of 4 and I can usually pack everything we need for a holiday in 3 bags and I could have one empty one for new purchases.

13. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Its really great idea for travelers and I must say I always care that don't pack too many clothes while traveling because in this way it remains difficult to cope with it. Anyway, if there is sware need then to buy new things option remains open for us throughout the time.