If you invented a product, would you market it like this?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by CinnamonBear • Sep 1, 2012.

1. CinnamonBear

CinnamonBearNew Member

Threads:
    To be honest, if I came up with a great idea, I'd be really wary of marketing it as an ASOT product. I say this primarily because these products have such an overall bad reputation with consumers, it's gotten to the point where people are viewing the ads with a grain of salt, if not the entire salt shaker!

Perhaps the problem is that the items are so over-hyped, and they promise to do the impossible. It reminds me of the old snake-oil advertisements in turn-of-the-century catalogs, which promised to cure everything from cancer to whooping cough!

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the product. I also think that much of as seen on TV stuff is intended for a certain kind of consumer so marketing it in that manner is the way to reach the target audience. TV is the best way to present your product to millions of people.

3. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    I am so sceptical about the ASOT advertisements, I don't even bother to watch the whole infomercial as this is bound to be something long term, who would spend this much money on this sales and marketing pitch, if not to get a massive return on their product profits. I feel that you can get the same, if not better products in the high street stores, or even in the hypermarket using 'own brand' products, I feel that the majority of the clients that this kind of advertising is aimed at Children, pensioners, and the disabled person.
    They do have very persuasive marketing strategy to sell the products that they are offering, and at times this can actually make you believe that you need this product. I am not , however so easily swayed. I would rather shop around, use coupons, and bag a true bargain on the things that are absolutely essential. To want pretty things dosen't mean you have to have them all' be wise when veiwing this kind of advertising. Read the small print, ask questions, and make sure you know what exactly you are getting yourself into first before you actually agree or sign up to anything.

4. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    The problem with infomercials is exactly what the OP said. The guy trying to sell the product is too over hyped and there's no way you can get such great performance for such a small amount of money. I stay away from them.

5. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Probably they use ASOT cos its the only way the product might sell, if at all! Lol. If I had a wonderful idea, I might go the MLM way.

6. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    How about this: If you invented a product, would you use that company, Invent Help, to help you try to patent and market it?

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely sell a product this way if I had one to sell. While some customers are wary of ASOT, these infomercials really do make a lot of money for what might have otherwise been mediocre inventions that wouldn't sell in stores or any other way. Also, even the customers who are wary will sit up and take notice if there is a really good sounding product that they happen to be in the market for. In fact, they'll listen more closely to make sure you're not bs-ing.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The hype is one of the things that turns me off when I see some commericals. There are some commericals I have seen that caused me to want to get more information on the product. The commerical was not overly hyped, good information which I could see how I could use the product.

9. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    TV stuff is intended for a certain kind of consumer so marketing it in that manner is the way to reach the target audience. TV is the best way to present your product to millions of people.

#9Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    TV is the best way to present your product to millions of people.

11. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    TV reaches a huge audience, sometimes its worth being lumped into other possibly terrible products for such exposure.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it has always been that way in the past, but not necessarily true anymore. The ASOTV companies have really stepped up their game and standards that they are now very trusted and often showcase very unique products, at least in my opinion. This is the reason why the Snuggie was able to become such a phenomenal hit, because the TV marketing industry has become a very credible source of innovative products.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I would sell my invention on TV. All products sold on TV are not the same quality to be sure, but to be fair, many of the items that are sold via TV are of very good quality.

I think the main thing I would do would be to make sure that I am putting out a quality product. If the product is good, and I market it on TV to the masses, then it will sell. I have no doubt about that. Quality speaks for itself, whether sold on TV or elsewhere.

14. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    If I had the option to sell this way I would. I mean, it reaches many people and gets attention - why else would we be talking about it right now? I know it would get some bad views being marketed that way, but there are a lot of people out there who try ASOT products. I'd rather reach a wider audience and risk a few bad opinions than not reach anyone at all. I'd still get more sales.