If you shop with reusable bags...

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ChanellG • Feb 28, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The thread on shopping bags that you have to pay for made me think about something I wanted to share with the forum -- I saw a report on TV last year that highlighted the importance of washing your reusable shopping bags. The reason is pretty much the same as why you should wash your fruits and vegetables. Your bags could collect just about anything over time just from the stuff you purchase being handled before you touch it.

If you like reusable shopping bags and the ones you have are difficult to launder, you may want to switch to canvas Totes or even make your own bags from old T-shirts.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the share. I loaned my foldable bag to a co-worker once, when the bag was returned it had a horrible smell. I had to wash the bag before I could even think about using it.

My bag is a type of nylon material that can be turned inside out to be washed.

It is important to think about keeping the spread of germs down.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, I've heard stories about meat juice residue in reusable grocery bags causing all kinds of trouble and making people sick. The reusable bags that are made from recycled water bottles tend to fall apart in the washing machine so I just hand wash them. Reusable grocery bags aren't sterile and they do need to be washed from time to time.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have two sorts of re-usable bags - cotton bags which can go in the washing machine, and heavy duty plastic bags that I spray with antibacterial cleaning spray after each shopping trip. It's something that crossed my mind as soon as stores started pushing for people to bring their own bags. I always take the cool box for fresh meat and frozen stuff, so that gets treated to the antibacterial spray as well.

Nice share, Chanell. Not everyone thinks of such things, so it's good to raise the point.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I also have two types of bags- plastic and canvas. I use the plastic to carry meat , fish etc and the other for my veggies and fruits. I have quite a few of them and they go into the wash tub every 15 days. I have always been careful with contamination. I don't want any of us falling sick.

6. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    Its always nice to read a reminder and a nice of people to share these things. I have two types of reusable bags too. I have my plastic and cotton. I like using them because they are so convenient and easier to keep up with. I think it is good to have them because we can save cost of the plastic bags. If my husband and I have a lot of plastic bags that we get from the store and they do not have a hole in them, we would take those also that we would not need to get anymore. It is always great to make sure you are avoiding germs.

7. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    We always reuse bags and yes we wash them before putting it away as well because of the dirt and dust inside of it. Its better to be safe because you dont know if the people who touched the item you bought got clean hands.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use reusable bags, but I never thought about cleaning them. I use the heavy duty plastic kind that are sold at my favorite grocery stores. They can't really been thrown in the wash, but I could spray them with a cleaner. I don't purchase any meat so I'm not really worried about my fruit and vegetables getting *infected*.

Thanks for this thread.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really thought about this much, but this makes sense, especially if you are buying packs of meat at the grocery store, which will sometimes leak. Even plastic bottles of milk leak somewhat as well.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I have never used reuseable bags before because of the germs that I said could be hiding in them. I don't like the idea of having to reuse a bag that I have had groceries in before. So I appreciate the stores that still have plastic bags for your groceries. I know that we don't need to use them but we need to keep our health in good shape also.

11. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I like op's idea of "make your own bags from old T-shirts". Cool

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest we still use plastic bags in my home from the grocery store, but we tend to hang onto the ones that are still in good condition for other purposes. I have used reusable bags as well, I have purchased a few from one of my favorite store. The problem though is I couldn't use the bag again in this same store because they tend to think the bag is being purchased at that time not a time before. My feeling was what they should of done at the time of purchase was date stamp the bag to show that the bag was already purchased. I think that would of cut down on the confusion. Anyway I tend to still use plastic more but we do reuse them and not throw them away at that particular moment.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You must keep your reusable bags in excellent condition. The cashier never confuses my reusable bags for new ones. They look well used. I don't use the cloth ones, I use the durable plastic or nylon bags. I saw a great hemp bag yesterday. It is machine washable so I won't have a problem keeping it clean.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I had a choice, I would love to use plastic bags while shopping, but plastic bags have been banned here and they were replaced with paper bags, which is very inconvenient if you plan to buy lots of things, because they don't have a handle. So we are forced to use our own bags if we plan to buy lots of stuff. I think a bag made of waterproof plastic would be ideal for moist items, although I don't have one as of the moment, to avoid those nasty stains and germs on bags made of cloth.

15. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I always shop with a reusable bag when I go grocery shopping. It just makes sense to me and it is very easy to maintain.
    I usually bring a baggu bag and they come in very cheap prices. I love them because they are made from nylon which means they will hold any amount of groceries.
    I really recommend purchasing them.

16. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    OMG - I NEVER wash out any of my reusable bags, lol! Mind you - I tend to buy them and for the first few 'uses' I return them back to the car ready for the next shopping trip. Then I either forget to do that, or I start using them for other things and have to buy more. i've spent a fortune over the years, on something that is supposed to save me money. *sigh*.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both of my favorite grocery stores, Trader Joe's and Sprouts, offer paper bags with handles. It has been years since I have seen a paper bag without handles. That must make carrying your groceries a big pain in the butt.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Another tip:

For those who purchase meats (I don't) you can put the package in a plastic bag from the produce section and then place that in your reusable bag.

I have some of those mesh produce bags to cut down on the plastic, but I sometimes forget to bring them into the store with me. I reuse my plastic bags for a variety of things for waste basket liners to picking up after the dog I am walking to creating plarn projects.

Plastics have their uses, but we really need to cut back. Too many inconsiderate people throw the bags on the ground or they end up in water systems and it's very bad for the environment.

I think it's unavoidable -- I use a lot of zip bags because they are so convenient. I think that in time we could get better about plastic use, but it will take time, organization, and money. Those are three things that are often in short supply for many people.

Most of mine are some kind of "cloth" with a plastic covering on the outside and a flocked backing. They have their use, but I just think sturdy canvas will be better because it won't tear, the seams won't come apart easily, and they can be thrown in the washer. I forget to take them in sometimes, and I have put them to other uses as well, so I can relate to your experience.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes it does, you can't buy a lot of items at once because you won't be able to carry them all, and if you do buy lots of groceries then they are placed in cardboard boxes, and they tie it with a string, and that also becomes your makeshift handle. It still is a lot bulky as compared to just carrying plastic bags.

#19Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This literally never would have occurred to me. I don't use reusable bags at the grocery store, but I do use them to transport other things... Maybe I should go ahead and wash them soon?