Illegal Music Downloading

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by May102014 • Jul 25, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Should people be sued for downloading music content from artists on free forums? I personally feel that music should be open. If a person downloads an artist’s music from a free forum or blog then that person has no fault. If I were there I would have done the same thing because I love the option of getting music free of charge. I know there have been cases where the owner of these forums had lawsuits against them for offering free music downloading. It seems like everything is up for a lawsuit nowadays. What are your thoughts?

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I think the music should be free. Music artist make millions off of the consumers and I feel that downloading music isn't a big deal. They are just greedy and want more money.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even see why this is an issue. If you don't like the artist and you just like a few of their songs, then there's no need to pretend you do by giving them your money. Also most of the artist's profits come from concerts or other merchandise. It's the people behind the artist that you're really paying money to when you purchase digital.
    I think if someone admired the artist enough, they would certainly be willing to pay the money to download.

4. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm on the fence about copyright laws. One one hand as a creator (photographer) I can see why they are very important. The law was created to protect the artists. But because of the way media works now a days it protects the big ceo's more than the artists. Like when the artists signs with a company they sign away their rights.

On the other hand I don't mind piracy of big music artists or big movie studios. I do think it's not right to do it with independent artists that need the income.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also against piracy for the simple reason that I'd hate someone sharing my work without paying me for it. If someone likes a particular song then why not simply buy individual songs from Itunes since that's possible?

I respect the rights of others and do not illegally download music nor will I ever recommend that any day.

6. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    I do not think you should be able to get sued for a bunch of money for any amount of music. If you're not standing outside selling CDs you ripped off the Internet, then there's not really a problem. I happen to think that it should be encouraged by artists to download albums for free or to pay what you think they're worth. That way, they can probably still get some people to pay that wouldn't have otherwise. They can't stop illegal downloading, it's not possible.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are worst crimes out there... I myself like to listen to music through Spotify, which I pay for the Premium version because I hate the ads and like to have the music available offline. I think there are so many free ways to listen to music nowadays its stupid to pay for an album.....and as for illegal downloads, I find it confusing to know what's illegal and what's not. If you download by torrent it's illegal, but if you listen at Youtube without paying a dime it's not illegal? As I mentioned, there are far worse crimes out there!

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have mixed feelings about this topic.

Yes - education and the arts, in my opinion, should be free or at least cheap enough for most people to access. Yet, when I think about the work most entertainers put into their genre, they deserve decent pay. Illegal downloading affects them financially as well as producers and other people in the music industry. So, for this reason, I think offenders should be prosecuted. And, I am not talking about a pimply faced kid who downloads music illegally here and there. I mean the adults who do it and then sell the music to folks over the Internet or on the streets.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think people should be prosecuted for violating copyright laws for personal reasons like listening to some songs, watching movies, reading a book. I think they should be prosecuted if they pirate for commercial reasons. Even with small artists, like I wouldn't mind if someone downloaded my photo to use as a desktop background but I would try to sue a company that stole my photo and used it in an advertisement.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't see how free downloading of music is going to help the artist who has put a lot of work and originality into his music. I would suggest to all those who are into music piracy that they should at least make a donation to the artist. As for the artists, I hope that they can protect themselves adequately. Perhaps a good solution would be to have some songs freely available, whereas others have to be paid for, especially when it's a new album.

11. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    The piracy laws are just an overly greedy music industry and by extension greedy corporations that want to maximize they're profit and minimize their return, so from that knowledge I don't think it's a bad thing or should be illegal. I do however, feel sorry for the musicians caught in the middle of it all.

12. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I can see both sides of this issue. I think that the artist/singer should be paid for their music. They created it. They are the ones singing or playing. It is their job, their income. Just think, if I painted a picture and someone took it from me without my permission, I would want to get paid especially if I took all my time on it.

However, I think that music shouldn't be so costly. It should be enjoyed by everyone. However, there are other ways to get free music. My library has free music downloads to all of its patrons. I get 1 free song every week.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah commercial reasons should probably have regulations but all reasons are an offense to people these days so I really can't stand copyright laws. As I said a long time ago, I understand the existence of them but at the same time they really piss me off. They completely infringe on your rights usually all for the sake of big business because apparently the allowance of fair use is extinct. I try not to let it bother me but I used to make montage videos all the time and post them on YouTube and I stopped for a long time partly because I feel what's the point of taking so much time and then worry about it being blocked or worst case scenario sued. I may be using your content but I'm putting it together in a way that makes it my creation. The thing that baffles me is almost all inventions are based off of other's ideas. Even things you say in daily conversation is not 100 percent original.

#13Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  14. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's okay if people download them at a per song basis. It's fine if people are just interested in maybe one or two songs and just want to listen to them only. I'm totally against downloading of entire albums because I think it's not right to rob artists of their hard work completely. Also, if people download them for personal use, there is nothing wrong.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Downloading one or two songs you like is pretty much like downloading the entire album because you're not interested in all the other songs anyway. There was a time I thought it was OK to download songs because record labels made a lot of money but that doesn't in any way make pirating right. Steal from the rich, huh? Modern-day Robinhoods?

Buy your music.