Impolite Sales Persons

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gracer • Mar 11, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I remember the last time my husband and I were at our favorite department store looking for clothes to wear on our next family outing. At first, no one was attending to our needs so of course we just went on looking for things that we wanted. I am the faster shopper when it comes to my husband and me. If I see something that attracts me and I have seen that it fits me, I would look at the price and if the price is right I would already take it.

My husband on the other hand takes a little longer to decide on things so we usually take a little more time shopping when were together because of that. So he has already tried on several pieces of jacket before a sales person actually came to where we were. He actually just stood there saying nothing, just following every movement we made and immediately fixes every piece of jacket my husband tries on without asking what he really is looking for. He never even smiled at all. Of course I know that my husband is really a slow-foot but the sales person could have been more polite to at least assist us with our search or at least manage a smile.

My husband wasn't able to buy anything but I still went on buying the clothes I found.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am assuming you are American? Some people like help and others don't; personally I detest people asking if I need help, because if I did I would ask. Maybe that's the difference in certain ways to shop. Most store assistants are there to monitor the changing rooms, and tidy up. These days if you want advice most have a personal shopper in store.

I wouldn't say they were impolite, because did you actually ask for help and they reject you? Perhaps it's me and a cultural thing, because if you don't ask you don't get.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind not being greeted, but I really don't like someone hovering around me, either. It sort of sounds as if he conveyed the feeling he was displeased with your husband picking through so many items and making more work for him. The clerk doesn't sound very happy, as if perhaps he was having a bad day or really didn't like his job.

I dislike being followed through the store by someone looking for a sales commission. I know that many companies these days force the clerks/assistants to shout out a greeting as someone walks through the store, but I often find that disconcerting. I usually shop alone these days, and am in my head thinking about my list, what I need, things I've forgotten, how much money I have to spend, etc., and constantly being greeted interrupts that and annoys me. Like @Theo@Theo, if I want assistance, I'm perfectly capable of asking for it.

What I find annoying is when I've been in a store for a long time (Hello, Home Depot) looking around for what I need, in unfamiliar territory, and can't find what I need, nor can I find a salesperson. I think each department of each store should have a big assistance button for people to push when they need help. Large stores like Home Depot should have one on each aisle.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo We did ask him for help when we saw him coming because we have actually been waiting for the salesperson in charge of that certain area for some time. Most sales persons in that department store have certain areas assigned to them but during that particular day, there was no one in that area of the department store. I think his colleagues even had to call him from somewhere before so he could assist us because we have been asking the other sales persons around who was in charge of the area. I guess he was busy with something else before he came to his post.

The other week, we were at the same store again to find some clothes for our little boy's graduation. The sales girl at that section was really quick and very accommodating. So of course we were happy shoppers when we left the store because we felt like we have been assisted well so we were able to find exactly what we were looking for. When we passed by the men's jacket area, we saw the impolite sales person again. I don't know if it's just me but looking at him from a distance still gives me the notion that he really doesn't look very approachable at all. It seems like he's not happy with his work.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of an incident when a saleslady of a big boutique in the mall earned my ire. She got fed up with my remarks about the way she handled customers because someone was inquiring on something and she just nodded and pointed to another sales attendant. For that, I called her attention but she was seemed freaked out. I was about to engage her in a war of words when my husband pulled me aside and told me that I should not go down to the level of that impolite sales attendant. What if my husband was not there? I would have reported her to the manager but again my husband said that I should let her be. She may lose her job if I reported her and that would be a burden to our conscience.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like mostly everyone has encountered an unprofessional or impolite salesperson at some point in their lives, and if they haven't yet then they will lol. It is never a nice experience,and can leave a bad taste in your mouth even after you have left that person's presence. But on the other hand, we have to remember that sales people are people too, and have lives and have things going on that they may find hard to deal with. At the same time, as a customer, you don't want to be treated like dirt.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't like rude sales people, but almost as bad is the overly friendly ones. I don't like in a store where they say Hi to you 5x in the same store, or make remarks about everything you are looking at like..."Oh that is awesome" or words to that effect, or "Do you need any help?"Of course, in the big box stores you' re lucky if you can find a clerk within 3 aisles, they make themselves scarce it seems.

8. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    It's just hard for sales people to find a happy medium when it comes to helping people. Most people don't want help at all, others want tons of help. It's really hard to gauge which person is which in a situation at first.

Just as workers need to be patient with customers, I think that customers have to understand that workers may need a little bit of patience sometimes, too. To me this actually sounds like it was someone new who hadn't been properly trained.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely sounds like he was having a bad day or not happy with his job. He could have at least said hello to you and your husband if he was supposed to be helping you. I would be uncomfortable with someone just hovering and following me around the store. I do not mind if I go into a store and the clerks speak to me but I do not want them to be pushy either.

10. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes some sales persons also have the attitude of treating their customers like garbage and it's just so insulting for someone who is just trying to look for something he/she needs. I remember a local actress's story regarding her shopping experience at a wedding specialty shop abroad. She was with her younger sister who was also an actress here looking so plain and ordinary with their casual outfits. They're both petite women so they also looked very young to be looking for wedding dresses. As they were looking at some dresses, a sales lady apparently approached them and told them to refrain from frequently touching the dresses as they are quiet expensive.

When she was able to choose a perfect dress for her, she told the sales lady that she would buy it. The sales lady was actually startled because the dress was among the most expensive in the store.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Department stores should know better than to have lazy staff. The way places close nowadays, it seems everyone should want to put their best foot forward. Especially with mystery shoppers being used more frequently.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    You make a fantastic point. I appreciate that they are in a good space and I am happy that they are happy, but sometimes if you get talking to the overly friendly ones, they will just keep talking. On and on and on, and even if you mention that you have to go, they will start another thread of conversation. That is usually the cashier though. As for those who follow you around the store bugging you, don't even get me started on that.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At times to get good service you have to demand that you get it. If a store employee isn't being helpful even though they are supposed to be you could simply leave the store and shop elsewhere after you've complained about the poor service. That said, I dislike salesmen and will most never buy anything they recommend. But ask them where I'll find something I need, that I always do.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    In this busy day and age though, so may people just can't be bothered to actually make a complaint about the services. I know so many disgruntled shoppers who should report what they are unhappy with, but either don't have the time to follow through with it, or just don't see it as a priority. They would rather go elsewhere without saying anything,

15. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds like that person might have been a mystery shopper even disguised as an employee. But either way, I can't stand how it seems that no one has customer service skills anymore. I don't get why people even work around others if they can't be nice. People need to feel welcome and it just ruins everybody's time to be in a bad mood. I worked in customer service for years and never had a bad attitude toward anyone, EVEN if they had on toward me! You have to be professional no matter where you work.

16. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'm one of those people who are guilty about not making complaints when I really should have. I just go home feeling annoyed and talking about what I've been through but I never did complain about them with the store managers. I know I should have complained during those times too because complaints also help in improving customer service.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As you picked up, maybe he's unhappy with his work. Maybe he had a bad day with awful customers. Maybe he's anxious. We just never know and making assumptions won't change it.

Personally, I don't care to be served by people, or treated any differently than I would be outside of a store.. I'm there for the product. If I want help, I ask for it.. otherwise, I like being left alone in a store. If someone is rude to me, I don't blame the store and my only assumption is that the salesperson is unhappy (whether in general or just that day) and I won't hold that against them or let it affect me. I would also leave instead of spending my money there. I may not want someone kissing butt to get my money, but I won't reward them for being unkind either lol.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    You certainly are not alone. I feel like most people are 'guilty' of this. So you go home annoyed, and complain to your family members about what you experienced? Lol :p In some instances it is difficult to complain. Say you are a t a fast food place, or some sort of restaurant, and you complain,staff from that moment might see fit to tamper with your food from there on out, because you complained, so you have to be smart about it.

19. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to ask for help if I need it rather than having an overly pushy sales person come over and force themselves on you.

I had a particularly bad experience of this in an electrical retail shop. I went in to buy printer ink. A very rude sales person came over and asked if I even knew what ink I wanted (I'd already picked up the one I needed and was merely trying to decide between if to get one pack or pick up a second while I was there) and said "maybe you should come back when you have a man with you because women know nothing of these things".

He refused to let me have the ink and snatched it out of my hands until I proved I needed that specific ink (I had to go and show him on the printer box of another printer they had in the store!).

Then when he eventually let me go to the checkouts with my ink, he refused to serve me (as did his colleagues) and skipped several other people (all men, or couples including a male) ahead of me in the queue. I was even more appalled when I found out he was the manager!

I paid with cash when I eventually did get to the checkout (half an hour later!) and then they refused to give me my change. I was beyond angry by that point and if it wasn't for needing the ink for something right then I would've walked out. I reported it to the company afterwards and the manager in question was actually fired for his behavior and I'm told every member of staff was retrained or fired. There was certainly a new manager that was much more professional there the next time I went.

20. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    You've hit the nail right there @DreekLass@DreekLass! :) That's what I usually do, I go home annoyed and complaining about the rude person I encountered on my shopping activity..So my husband is the one who absorbs everything. Lol But yeah, I wouldn't want to be complaining too much in front of sales persons unless I feel that I really have to. Much more so when it comes to servers in restaurants because as you said, you'll never know if they would take it out on the food they serve you. :eek:

@cocolgooh@cocolgooh That was a really bad experience you had there. I don't know what I would have done if I was in your place. Maybe I could have burst to tears right there and then for anger and frustration. I think you did a good job at keeping your cool and just letting the matter be settled by the company who handles the rude staff you encountered. At least they were finally served for their improper actions.