Improve your old computer's performance

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alaska7 • Jul 12, 2012.

1. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    If expandable, add more RAM to your computer. Especially with high memory usage operating systems like that monolithic Windows Vista. Over time, as more software is installed and more programs are downloaded, more RAM is dedicated to usage, which clogs your system's performance.
    I expanded the RAM in my old desktop by simply buying a RAM card and jamming it into my computer's motherboard in the RAM slot(I promise this is easier than it sounds) and my desktop runs with very few hiccups now. A 2 Gb RAM card is approximately $20 I believe, which is well worth it in my opinion!

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I also have 2 GB of RAM in my laptop, and my computer runs without lag. I would prefer to have more RAM, but 2 GB is the max that I'm allowed. I'm looking to buy a new computer that has about 6-8 GB of RAM that should run games and programs no problem.

3. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I have a laptop, and there's a few things I've done that have sped it up dramatically, and since I'm nowhere near tech savvy enough to ram anything into my motherboard, this was the way to go lol. One thing I did was change the overall appearance of the OS itself. Windows 7 is awesome, looks neat as all get up, but the looks of the OS aren't detrimental, and I did something that changed the appearance of the OS to where now it looks like Windows 95, but it runs faster. Like....really. Also, defragging the harddrive once a week, deleting cookie caches...there are tons of things you can do to speed up your computer, and doing a general search on e.how.com will actually give you detailed instructions on how to do it.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I use mostly my five-year-old Dell laptop for work and basic Internet tasks, such as watching YouTube videos, playing backgammon or chess and email. Other than that, I don't need much. This computer is fantastic and all the components are good enough for me!

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The easiest and cheapest way to improve your old computer's performance is to migrate to Linux.

Linux is free. You cannot get any cheaper than that. Plus Linux is no longer just for geeks. The Linux user interface is now very much like that of Windows so when you migrate to Linux, you are not lost. When you migrate to Linux, you will notice an immediate improvement in performance because Linux can get the same thing done with very much less hardware resources.

If you really want to, you can get Linux to run with just 256Mb ram and 256Mb disk space.

6. klarawoodenjr

klarawoodenjrNew Member

Threads:
    For heavy users like me, I always do a lot stuffs ( opening many tabs on my browser, AV protection enabled, after effects rendering, skype, collaborative mockups). Even if you upgrade your cpu's ram it all comes down to total performance whether it can handle the latest updates of software installments. But if you're only opening single instance of microsoft word or notepad, sure this will save you money. But take note, you get what you pay for.

7. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    Good advice, and for heavy users like you, multi-core processors for total performance and multitasking are a must. My intention was moreso directed at those who have old desktops (towers) and want to get a little usage out of them for cheap, I doubt my old desktop could even handle Skype alone! haha. And Victor, I was actually thinking of converting to Linux, maybe I'll give that a shot!

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I purchased more RAM at the local computer store and now my laptop is running smoother and faster than anything. I am very happy with it. Also, just generally looking after it makes it run smoothly. I have not tried Linux yet - but I it is now something that I will do, thank you for that tip!

9. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Wow those are some really great tips being shared out there! I'm currently using my Compaq laptop that has been with me for about 5 years already. The only issues it's suffering from now is the inevitable slowing down in terms of processing speed and it also tends to heat up much quicker which also affects performance of the computer since the excessive heat slows things down and may cause the system to become unstable. What I do to reduce these effects, is to regularly defragment my HDD and also to make sure that all those unwanted programs are properly deleted with all additional files that came along wiped out too. This frees up your HDD and reduces the burden on it, allowing it to work faster. I'm currently running on 3GB of RAM and it is more than adequate for normal usage and internet browsing. I've not actually tried Linux before so perhaps one day when my laptop decides to get even slower, I might just make that switch!

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    You should buy a USB cooling fan to keep your PC from overheating. I have one for mine and it works great. They're inexpensive mine was about $30 and it's been working without a problem. With 3GB of RAM seems like it should be enough to run the computer without overheating. You can check the model and see if your computer can handle more RAM. I maxed mine out at 2 GB, but you might be able to upgrade yours, so your computer runs faster.

11. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    These days, additional RAM is actually going to be a very negligible difference, especially since most computers come with 4GB or more. Unless you use Photoshop or other RAM intensive programs, I'd focus on the best CPU you can get as well as graphics card memory. If you really want to speed things up, especially minute daily tasks, pick up a sold state drive.

12. sinuous

sinuousNew Member

Threads:
    RAM doesn't always speed up your computer, sometimes you need much more in terms of hardware. If your computer is older than 6-7 years, chances are the motherboard is outdated, and it's time to get a new machine. I would suggest getting something around $2,000, that seems to be a solid price for a quality machine. Just my 2 cents.

13. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    Defragmenting your disk does wonders for your computer's performance. There are also a few free apps for both Macs and PCs that clean up all the garbage you don't need on your computer. Make sure you regularly delete your cookies and your temporary internet files. Finally, remember to shut it down regularly - many people make the mistake of simply closing the lid of their laptop and letting it sleep instead of turning it off, and this can make it go super slow after a while. Let it actually take a break, cool down, and shut off at night time.

14. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the thread Alaska7 I find it informative. Also thanks Kaila for the tip to defrag. I have not done that in ages and my computer is an old XP. I have had this computer about 8 years now. It is still going, but I have not defragg it so I will try that. It may speed up the computer. I am happy with my speed because I do not do games or anything like that. My next computer will definitely have a 1.7 processor. I always buy a desktop and like to keep my computer for a good 10 years. Also, I will have to upgrade from the XP because XP support will discontinue in 2014 I do believe. :)

15. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Based on my personal experience, whenever I want to improve the performance of my PC, I use a new RAM. However, the use I give to the PC is the usual. I play some games, but generally do not require high performance from my system. I notice the better performance when it comes to program design or video playback. I absolutely agree with you affirm that you above.

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip! My laptop has been lagging lately and I'm on Windows 7. I did load it up with a ton of programs and all so that could be the case.

17. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! Where did you buy a $20 2 GB RAM? YOu just saved a lot from that deal. I bought 2 GB RAM for more than $35. That's pqi.

About adding RAM yes I think that it will really improve the performance of your old PC but if your computer is 5 years old already, the basic things that expanded RAM could do is to improve navigation, browsing and office works. It would not make you have a very good gaming experience especially 3D games.

18. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    If you have an old desktop, you might want to open it up and clear out the dust bunnies inside of it as well.

Oh, and a word on defragmenting: It's not going to do you much good unless your file system is VERY fragmented (85% or more). Later versions of operating systems are very good at keeping disc fragmentation to a minimum. And do NOT defrag solid state drives.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    run msconfig from your start menu, and choose selective startup - then go over to the startup tab and uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. If you've never done this before, you'll probably be amazed how many programs configure themselves to load at startup and run in the background.

20. themdno

themdnoNew Member

Threads:
    Well, RAM does help, but it doesn't make a huge difference. If you have a bit of knowledge about computers, or are willing to learn, I would say upgrade your CPU. It's really not that difficult, as long as you learn a few things first. By upgrading your CPU you can make a huge difference in performance.

Also, like someone else said, migrating to Linux makes a big difference. I believe some processes go almost twice as fast on linux, as compared to windows. I'm still a windows guy, but I'm thinking about switching over.

It depends on what you are using your system for, as to how you'd like to improve the performance, too. Getting good performance for games is different from getting good performance for video editing, as well as other things.