Incorporate Vegetables With Kimchi

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DukeMadThane • May 5, 2015.

1. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    Lately, I have been buying kimchi and adding it to just about everything I eat to add flavor, crunch and vegetables. Kimchi isn't very expensive around here (East Tennessee). I buy it ready-made in a jar. A 64oz jar costs $10 and lasts about a month, granted, I live alone. I have added it to burritos, had it on hot dogs, and in soups. I really like it a lot.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Others in my family are bigger fans of kimchi than I am, but I do enjoy it on occasion. And it’s an excellent way to add some extra veggies to the diet. Actually I think I could use a small jar right now, I’ve been battling a cold and I love spicy foods to help clear the airways a bit.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am one of those people who enjoys eating kimchi! I am a huge vegetable lover and kimchi is such a healthy food for me. I love it a lot as well. I often buy a jar of kimchi whenever I go to the grocery.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I have heard the name before, I had to google kimchi and find out what exactly it is. For those who don't know it, it's a traditional Korean side dish made of seasoned vegetables. It can be fresh or fermented. I'd love to give it a try, but it's not available where I live. I guess I will have to try and order it one day from the internet. :)

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. Kimchi is one great flavor extender and it will allow you to save a lot of money with dishes since you won't have to buy a lot to provide flavor. I also like other things similar to this that could give extra punch to food and allow you to buy less ingredients, such as sauces like barbecue or adobo. With these items I usually could cook a little less and still be able to get a hefty meal out of it regardless since I only need a few bites and lots of starch.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Kimchi is definitely something you either love or hate. Luckily I'm all up in the love section. I've been using a huge jar I got in China town on everything as of late. Love to use it in the summer & it's right around the corner. Yay!

7. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    Oh... Kimchi is one of my favorite things in the world! The first time I was introduced to it was in a Korean restaurant when I was eight months pregnant. My husband was serving in the Army at that time and some of his friends took us out to eat. I had never had Korean food before, and when this wonderful red spicy cabbage hit the table...I was in love! I think I ate the whole container by itself. Although I did get a bit queasy at the end when we had the chef come out and explain how it was made. That was 17 years ago, and since then I have learned how to make it myself and friends ask for jars of it for Christmas presents.

8. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    Oh! I love kimchi! I have yet to try it in vegetables, but I often had tried it in ramyun (noodles). I have also tried kimchi pancake and kimchi pizza.

I think it is all right to add kimchi to your viand aside from making it just a side dish. Putting kimchi in your salsa is a good idea. I wonder how that will taste like, but I think it will taste daebak (like a champion). Kimchi also goes well with eggs and make kimchi omelet. Now, I am hungry as of this writing!

Now, speaking of kimchi in vegetables, I wonder if it is all right to incorporate it in Filipino vegetable dishes like pinakbet or sinabawang gulay (boiled vegetable soup. Not sure if this is the exact English translation). And I wonder if it can be mixed in curry dishes. I'm really wondering.