Indoor Cat vs Outdoor Cat

Discussion in Pets started by tulosai • Jul 6, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I posted a little bit ago that I was considering getting a kitten but am concerned about price. I'm back to ask- is it cheaper in the long run to have an indoor cat or an outdoor cat. I've heard conflicting things from friends and am hoping there might be some consensus here.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Well, I think in the long run you'd be better off with an indoor cat because as far as I can recall between the two choices, you're either going for paying the cat litter on a monthly or so basis, maybe a couple toys too, against the possible injury from cat fights outside as well as flea killing products. Having outdoor cats myself, fleas will be guaranteed, while an injury from a cat fight could happen between 4 months to 8 months.

3. Bloom

BloomMember

Threads:
    It depends on the personality of the kitten. If you get a rambunctious cat that loves adventure and can be very selfish, then it would do wonders outdoors. However, a cat that is very shy and hides would be better for the indoors. Although you connect better with indoor cats, outdoor cats are considerably cheaper. You don't have to pay for litter every week to a month, nor do you need to get it toys, snacks or items to clean the hair around the house. There's really only two things that you'd have to make sure to get for the kitten which is food and flea medicines.

Granted, more casualties may occur if a cat is left outside, but again, that is determined by your kitten's personality.

4. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    It's only a thing of luck.
    If you've got an outdoor cat you don't have to think of cat litter. But outdoor cat is more open to disease, to being ill or hurt.

Is it really such a cost difference?

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The cat itself may end up deciding whether it is going to be an indoor cat or an outdoor one! ;)
    It can also be determined by where you live. If you live in an apartment, well it would be much better to have an indoor cat. If you live in a rual area, that would be much better for an outdoor cat.

6. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    What does it have to do with costs?

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, cats are pretty clear on what they want and do not want. So, if you are open to the possibilities...possibly let them choose. I do feel that an indoor cat may bring less chance of them catching cat flu or any of those other horrors. They can catch that being indoors too, it happened with us...but the chances are fewer.

Don't think too much...and get a cat, you will be so much happier (IF you are not allergic or something).

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    An inside cat is like a small child - it has to be entertained, it will get into things, and you need litter in the way a parent might need diapers or pull-ups. So it is going to be expensive since you need to buy toys, something to protect the furniture, litter + box, and you might end up replacing some things.

An outside cat is like a teenager - it is going to do stupid things which means it'll get hurt, it may well get sick since it'll be into various things, and you'd better have it fixed or spayed unless you want more cats. So it will generally not be as expensive, but when it does get into trouble it may be incredibily expense depending on the circumstances. Also you are going to want to look up prices for flea treatment/prevention.

So which do you prefer - the one whose costs are consistent and predictable or the one whose costs are changable but generally low?

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I think indoor cats end up costin less in veternarian bills. You only really have to deal with preventative care and neutering/spaying your pet. However when a cat is exposedto the outdoors, the outdoor elements can cause your pet unessessary drama. For instance, in my experience, I had an indoor cat who walked outside onto the wrap around deck which included seeing all my neighbors. I was able to find my cat in the corner of the area by a neighbor's door. She was face down in the floor, scratching at something. When I gathered her and took her home, she started to have a swollen front paw. After a couple days I visited my veternarian and my cat had a spider bite. I had to buy antibiotics and get the wound cleaned and sterilized by the doctor.
    My point is just that one instance cost me and my cat, unnecessary drama.

If cost is an issue, consider adoption. In many cases it's free or very low cost and the pet is already spayed and has their vaccines updated already.

10. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    An indoor cat will cost you more for sure. Think of cat litter for a start. That is a must-have. Even if you buy it by the sack, it's still an inescapable expense. An outdoor cat doesn't need cat litter. Would an outdoor cat be more prone to disease? Not necessarily. If you feed it well and make sure all its vaccinations are up-to-date, health-wise, an outdoor cat is actually better off than an indoor cat because it certainly gets a lot more exercise.

11. alid1

alid1New Member

Threads:
    My cat started out as an indoor cat, but he would escape at every opportunity.He eventually became an outdoor only cat, and he was much happier. The downside to his happiness was abcesses every couple months. He would get in fights even though he was neutered, because he was protecting his territory. Abcesses are disgusting, but they need you to help them out. I think indoor cats are better. There is less trouble to get into. As long as you have time to play with them and keep litter cleaned daily, I would go with the indoor cat.

12. psmith140

psmith140New Member

Threads:
    You can have both! My cat is indoor and outdoor. It spends it's day outside catching birds and generally mucking around and by night is a lap cat sitting on your bed asleep! When you first get a kitten the best thing to do is set it's daily routine. Ie. let it outside for a set amount of hours and then teach it to come back in. If you just keep it indoors all the time it will become a house cat, if you just leave it outside all the time it will become a outdoor cat. Both are kinda crap because if it stays indoors all the time it just becomes fat lazy and unhealthy. If outdoors then you never get to see it and it generally never comes home! A balance of the two is best.

13. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I have never had an indoor cat and probably never would. We used to have barn cats growing up that were there to keep the mice out of the grain bins. For me cats are such nasty animals I would not want one in the house and the litter stinks so much. I also hate all the dander and hair everywhere. My daughter has a cat and I always feel so nasty when I visit her. I can't wait to get home and shower and wash my clothes. I did have a cat that adopted us a few years ago that stayed outside. He would bring me gifts and leave them on the door step. I would toss him meat tidbits out the door. It was a working relationship. I didn't have to worry about critters in the garden and yard and he got free food.

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Statistics have shown that indoor cats live longer and are healthier than outdoor cats. It makes sense since outdoor cats are susceptible to so many more things than indoor cats. My fiancee's one cat is nine years old, never had a shot and has never been ill and he is indoor. Meanwhile, I constantly hear about cats in the neighbourhood who are sick and they happen to be outdoor cats.

15. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    We considered the area we live in when we decided to keep our cat indoors. My fiance and I agreed that our cat would enjoy being outdoors a lot more, to chase bugs and squirrels, and to scratch tree bark (instead of our wood paneling). However, we live near a main street that gets lots of traffic. I think my cat would be smart enough to avoid cars, but I'd rather not risk it! Also, we have plenty of space in the house for the cat to run and play in, so he lives quite a happy life and we don't have to worry about where he is. We do have some problems with the cat scratching at the walls and furniture. Our solution: we clip his front claws and purchased two inexpensive scratching posts sprinkled with cat nip to make them more attractive (it works).

16. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that cats can be very loving creatures. People who just throw their cats outside and don't care what happens to them need to either give the cat a chance to be more a part of their life, or give the cat to someone who wants to love an animal. It breaks my heart when cats are not treated like dogs or humans. I have two cats, and I pick them up and hug them and kiss them all day long when I am home.

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My cats are both indoor and outdoor kitties. They stay in the house for the morning, go out for the afternoon to explore and then come in around dinner time. Only one of them goes out really late and comes in at 3 a.m. I don't like him out, but he gets so mad at the kitties. Indoor kitties live more longer too because there are less dangers.

18. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I have 3 cats. They are all indoor because where I used to live we had coyotes in the hills behind our home that would come down and eat our puppies, kittens and cats. Even after we moved, we kept the cats indoors because not only were they used to it and afraid to go outside, but indoor cats generally live longer than outdoor cats. No cars and dogs and other cats to deal with.

19. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. Cat litter and toys are definitely the lesser of two evils. You can also add in the price of getting your cat fixed if it is a female. We had indoor cats. We preferred that because most of the problems with outdoor cats are more costly or inconvenient than what may arise with indoor cats. Fleas are a nightmare. Even if you don't take your cat to the vet after it gets into fights, you can feel the deep, ugly scars they get when you stroke their fur. It is NOT a pleasant feeling. I also would wonder if one day you notice your cat has disappeared, and if you'll ever see it again. The only problem with our cats (as indoor cats) is when they went into heat. They howled in the middle of the night non-stop. We never got them fixed, so I don't know if that would have eliminated that problem.

20. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I find having an outdoor cat to be great. I used to worry and kept my cat indoors because of coyote problems in my area, but the poor cat would always try to escape and would sit longingly at the window looking trapped. My heart just couldn't take watching that day after day, so I let her out one day and she loved it. Now we have a kitty door and she can come and go as she pleases. For me it is not the expense or keeping a cat indoors or outdoors, but if the pet is genuinely happy.