Induction cookers energy savings

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Xhantar • Sep 29, 2014.

1. Xhantar

XhantarNew Member

Threads:
    I've been looking into induction cookers such as

[SUP](

)[/SUP] as a possible way of saving a bit on energy costs. The site claims a 50% reduction in power usage with the 2,000W one-plate model compared to traditional stoves with a heating element. Does this seem likely in practice? I'd have to obtain compatible cookware that contains ferromagnetic materials (iron) which will add to the initial cost.

2. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Don't quote me on this, but, at least in my country, gas stoves would still come out much cheaper than any kind of electric stove or cookware.

Plus I find them so much more convenient because you can change the temperature instantaneously rather than having to wait for the heating element to react.

3. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I clicked on the link and those are certainly interesting-looking stoves but I don't think they are available in Canadian stores. A few years ago, they were offering smooth-top induction stove (4 burner) complete with oven but I don't think they sold very well, being a new concept and people in general being reluctant to change. We use a 4 burner smooth-top range and have for 30 years but if we ever have to replace it, I'd certainly consider replacement with an induction cooker. The other consideration here is that we have an enormous glut of natural gas so gas prices are low and our electricity is also very cheap ($.066/kW) so there is little incentive to save power until prices of power increase drastically.

4. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I think one reason people don't go off buying induction cookers is that almost everyone would have an unusable pot lying around after switching. I think they can't use ceramic pans, and some kinds of non-stick pans.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking into induction ovens at the moment as well. I'm yet to work out, though, the proper cost of buying and using one and the cost effectiveness. But I'm guessing part of the issue is comparing like with like (electricity use vs. electricity use) or two different supplies (electricity use vs. gas use). I think my research will have to continue...