Induction cooking

Discussion in Food & Drink started by GavinMcresty • May 7, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Does anyone else have an induction cooker? I have one and it is great! It heats up everything so quickly it is almost unbelievable. It probably saves a lot of electricity as a result. It definitely saves a lot of time. Does anyone else have one?

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have one, but I have been thinking about trying it. The small portable ones are not that expensive and having one could be a good solution to living in a place that doesn't have built in kitchen. I don't know much about them though and I wonder if there are any potential issues that could become health hazards later on.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even know what a induction cooker is never heard of it

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have one and it is pretty cheap and effective. I use it in the morning When I have a lot of cooking to get through in tandem with my stove. I have five things going at a time and I am done with cooking three meals for the day within and hour and a half. I really love induction cookers.

5. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    It basically just uses a magnetic field to heat up the metal of the pot directly. The magnetic field changes and this makes the charged particles inside the pot move around. Basically, this heats up the pot itself. It is a lot more efficient than other ways of cooking because no heat is lost from heating the air around the pot. It also means that there is no heat lost being transferred between the pot and the food.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That's good to know, Maddie. I've been curious about induction cooking for a while now after seeing it demonstrated on a television infomercial. I have one of those "spare burner" hot plate things, but the heat isn't consistent and it drives me crazy. I haven't used it since I got my rice cooker, but I'd like to be able to do more.

7. Noril Salvo

Noril SalvoNew Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of induction cooking. I wasn't before, actually, I was a real skeptic. I just couldn't believe that something so small could generate enough heat to cook anything. I'm used to using the old gas powered ones and was quite happy with it. Electric stoves are too slow for me. But the induction cooker, was a marvel. You can boil water with it in less than 2 minutes and even you touch the thing, you won't get burned easily. The induction cooker is marvelous, but of course, since it is ferromagnetic, it will only work on cookware with iron in them, that's why as much as possible I look for cookware suitable for my cooker.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had seen the demo of the induction cooker in the mall. It looks good because the come on is the safety that you don't get burned since the induction cooker cooks by induction and not by fire like the ordinary cookware. However, you can only cook with the induction cookware using the special pots and pans otherwise there will be no heat that is generated. That turned me off because if I buy that induction cooker, what happens to my present set of pots and pans?

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and I just bought a Samsung induction stove. I can't wait to start cooking on it.

@Corzhens@Corzhens I've heard that you test to see if a pot or pan will work on an induction stove you place a magnet on the bottom if it's sticks then the pot or pan will work on an induction stove. I just tested out my favourite pan and it won't on my new stove:(.
    I heard that an induction stove will heat up quickly saving on my electricity bill.

#9Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @purplepen88@purplepen88 I didn't know that you can test the pot or pan with a magnet. The induction stove was first introduced by Meralco - the electric company that provides electricity to the whole of Metro Manila and suburbs. You can buy the stove in their offices and the main reason is the savings in electric consumption. That's why we were considering. And as I said, the snag was that we need to buy induction pots and pans as well.

#10Sep 1, 2015
  11. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    @GavinMcresty@GavinMcresty I have never heard of the induction cooker until now, but it sounds like something I might be interesting in trying. Where can you find them out. I am always looking for ways to save on electricity.

#11Sep 2, 2015