Inexpensive but nice gifts for parents

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by tulosai • Jun 28, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I know mothers and fathers day have just passed, but what are some nice, inexpensive gifts you have given your parents over the years that they have also enjoyed and appreciated? This is something I really do struggle with each year and I figure having a thread to look back to when the time comes again may be a real help.

I always try to write handwritten notes and send a physical card as I know those are appreciated, but I really struggle with gifts themselves, especially on a budget. Help?

2. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I am the same as you. It is always hard. Do your parents have any hobbies? My dad likes to golf and play racquetball, so I get him stuff for that. My mom is tough to buy for, though. A girl can only have so many necklaces you know. Lol. Maybe take them out to dinner and talk. Spending time with them might be just as good as spending money?

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    According to them, the best gifts I have ever got for my parents were homemade ones. It doesn't cost much and it means a lot to them to receive a gift that took time, care and thought. One of the best gifts you can give them is time. Spend some time with them! It is absolutely free and it means the world to them.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    My parents get mad when I get them gifts because they don't want me spending money on them if its not necessary - I do it anyways!!! My father is easy to shop for, he is an online gamer and loves to be in pajamas so anything homey work - pjs, slippers, a robe, a new game, he actually like aromatherapy stuff so I get him some of that. My mother is the opposite of my father - she loves tools!!! I get her gift cards to Home Depot, tool boxes and such. She does have a feminine side ofcourse and that comes with her obsession with shoes and perfumes! We have the same size feet so I try on the shoe before and I know if it will fit or not. I know her style very well and we share the same taste in perfume so I just "shop for myself" and give it to her.

5. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, my parents don't want me to spend too much for them, but i do it anyway. I can spend my whole life giving them gifts but still wont match with what they have done for me. I love them to bits. I think the best gift i have given them to date was when I organized a dinner party for the whole family and I managed to make everyone come. All of my siblings together with our partners and children were present. The house was so crowded, noisy and messy but I've never seen my parents more happy.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The best present which I have ever given my parents is simply to be with them. I live quite a distance from them and although I do call them on the phone, I don't get to see them that often. So when I take the time out to spend a day with them, they are very happy. Especially my mother. She feels so happy just to see me sit in the kitchen and eat her home-cooked meals.

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    For my mother, I gave her last month a new case for her eyeglasses and she seems to like it a lot. I gave my father a cowboy hat just last week and he is happy with it too. :) I actually asked them what they like to have before I bought the items.

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Anything I make myself is something my parents really love. Most of the time, I cook or bake for them. It's actually not as pricey as it sounds, and they seem to kind of appreciate it more over something directly bought since I do work on it on my own. Sometimes, I treat them to a full dinner meal, or I bake a whole cake to celebrate an occasion (the last time was their anniversary).

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I tend to give my dad plants and flowers as he is an avid gardener...and my mom has a massive sweet tooth so I get her some treats like French nougat, dark truffles etc...If I have more money, i just give them money or gift cards but they seem pretty happy with what I give them. They do not appreciate frivolous stuff though.

10. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Not sure you like to work with your hands but the gifts my parents (and my wife) have most appreciated are the one i made myself.
    One example was a small wooden footstool for a desk, it replaced a cardboard box (!). i made it with thick wood, spend time sanding, shaping and varnishing
    It really looks very nice for something that did not cost me anything (well i had all i needed in my garage)
    An other example is to prepare for them plants (growing them from seeds). Either fruit trees, flowers, bushes. It is not too difficult to start from seeds and stones ...
    Hope it helps !!

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Handmade gifts are definitely the way to go if you're looking for inexpensive, but still special. Even if you're not crafty, you can still put together things like photo albums or online collections for them to view whenever they want.

12. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    If you are looking on the more thoughtful side I know after my parents divorced my dad felt like he would grow estranged and we wouldn't keep in touch with him. So I made sure to send him little texts and letters. He enjoys receiving the little e-cards in text messages, even though he can't really respond back. He does know how to check them. I also made him a little digital photo frame keychain and filled it with graduation pictures of me and my brother. I found the digital photo frame keychain at a garage sale for a couple of dollars.

Looking year around for a gift is always a point. I typically just wait to see what would strike me. So starting ahead of time is a smart move! I also listen for things they would like. My mom mentioned a netbook for a long time and I saved up for it and had my brother pitch in for her birthday one year. Other things to get are hobbies they have always wanted to try. Like I got a subscription for Netflix for my mom one year so she could go try that out some.

13. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Homemade presents, cards and anything you make yourself will be something they'll love. Just show your love for them in a creative way and they'll be grateful :D

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    A restaurant certificate, gift cards for something they enjoy and/or a physical gift, like a tie for a man or a scarf for a woman.

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would always buy them the most beautiful gift no matter the price to show them how much I appreciate them being my parents. I would ask them what they want and try my best to get just that no matter what I had to do to get it for them. I know it really doesn't matter to them how much it cost but that is what I would do.

16. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    In the past, I've given my parents either gift cards to their favorite store or a restaurant gift certificate they can use for a date night at their favorite restaurant. They seemed to like that. Also, finding a special family photo or memory and buying a nice frame and wrapping it up to give as a gift is another nice thoughtful gesture. You don't have to spend a lot to give a meaningful gift that will be appreciated.

17. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Usually, herbal supplements that help them with their health problems, which they've always appreciated and asked for more. Although medication is often not considered a gift as such, my parents live in another country and this is the best I can give them which will be useful for both of them.:)

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's a very good idea to give them herbal supplements for a gift. I would also go for a gift card, because that way they can buy whatever they want. Find out the places that they love to shop or someplace they love to go and send them there or send a gift card that will cover the cost.

19. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    This is how my parents are as well. One year for Christmas, my older brother created a personal painting for our parents on a simple 4x6 canvas. He attached a note to it describing the profound impact that our mom and dad made on him. My explanation really does not do it justice. It was very moving and he had everyone in the room crying. I don't know that any of us will be able to top that!

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother likes plants, I have a plant that need to be re-potted so I took the plant that I had seperated from the plant put in new soil in a pretty new pot. She still has that plant.