Insects and heat

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lately at my place a lot of insects have been appearing, what's not common to this time of year. Most likely it's because it's an unusual heat for the end of October and the insects were born with it? Anyone experiencing this problem as well?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    There do seem to be a lot of fruit flies...

I think when things start getting cooler the bugs start looking for warmth and finding any little places where they can crawl in. You might want to check the windows and doors for worn weather strips if you are noticing more bugs than normal. It might be they have found an easy route in that you can quickly seal up.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    No, we have not had any unusual problems in either residence. However, in the northern residence, it just snowed! Can you believe it??? And in the Southern one, there is an unusually long period of drought happening. So I think either condition is bad for bugs which is about the only good thing to come out of the two climates.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Contrary to the heat you're experiencing, the temperature in my country's pretty moist. It rains 3-4 times in a week so the types of insects we have here are big termites (those with 2 pairs of wings), black ants (they're a staple feature whenever it rains), pin spiders, jumping spiders and random bugs that tend to emit weird odors. We're supposed to be experiencing drought. Luckily, the rainy season reaches its climax from the last week of October to the entire month of November.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I notice insects come out when it's very hot, too. They also come out when it's about to rain. Well, I live in a tropical country, so insects are pretty common. As long as they don't bother me, I won't kill them.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Australia, where I spend most of my time, we usually get Christmas beetles around this time of the year. Large swarms of beetles, some of which are up to 5 cm long, invade houses and bump around the walls at night, making a lot of noise. The further north you go, the larger the beetles get. Often you will find them in your bathroom, where they get trapped in bath tubs and sinks, struggling to get back on their feet. Where I come from, insects are a daily part of life, so I don't even give them a second thought anymore.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have those beetles in the summer, I found them on the beach in the warmer parts (away from the ocean) and now that you mention it I find surprising that they have disappeared. In fact, we only notice bugs when they annoy us, we are not very aware of this reality I think.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have faced similar problems with the house that was situated in a rural area. I sure that it is only due to heat. It goes away when the summer gets over. But you can use additional pesticides to remove them very soon.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a cycle really, if it's raining sure that the insects are dead, also if it's a lot of cold, but if the temperatures are not very low and it's not raining we are in trouble, especially my younger kid that gets bitten quite frequently.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I notice the same whenever it gets cooler here. When it's hot there are no Mosquitos to be found and fortunately so because the heat is already terrible enough to deal with as it is. It's kind of awful that Mosquitos do show up when it's cooler though because once you could finally enjoy the cold weather you are bombarded with mosquito bites.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you serious about that Ripley? Where I live it happens exactly the opposite, when it's winter and the temperatures are around 10ºC there are no mosquitoes, but when the temperatures raise to 20ºC or more, usually in the Spring and Summer, they come back to attack us.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in Brazil, which means we are in the middle of summer here. It also means bugs are everywhere all the time. Just now I even mentioned in another thread that a stink bug just flew into my eye... I have also seen a few cockroaches outside, which is the most disgusting thing ever. It's curious to see that even in cool places bugs are showing up, because that is very uncharacteristic. So much for global warming. Bugs are the ones benefiting from it...