Instant Iced Coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by LadyMiles • Oct 21, 2014.

1. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    So I have this new addiction, Iced coffee. I have kept myself from caffeine for a very long time, even tried iced coffee in the past but had a bad reaction to the excessive amount of caffeine so I left it alone. Just a few days ago I had an iced coffee from Starbucks and it was phenomenal, except I felt really jittery. That night I had a headache, like I needed caffeine. I am debating getting another one today because of the taste but I wonder, is there a decaffeinated version of iced coffee anywhere? Has anyone ever tried making their own iced coffee and used decaffeinated coffee to do so? If so how did it turn out? I definitely have to stay away from the caffeine but don't want to lose the enjoyment of that iced coffee flavor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Pick up an iced tea maker, these will make iced coffee easily as well. I have the Hamilton Beach model which I've been pleased with, plus it comes with two separate filter holders - one for tea and one for coffee, so you aren't mixing flavors up. Theoretically you can make it with just a regular pot of coffee too, just brew it strong, then pour it in a pitcher of ice to cool it off completely. You could also try a blend of half caffeine and half decaffeinated if you are worried about the jitters.

Starbucks is so overpriced, with just the money you would save on a few drinks you could easily buy your own equipment to make them at home and for your friends when entertaining. Perhaps even splurge and get one of those whipped cream makers, the ones with the CO2 cartridges as well.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have only made caffeinated iced coffee but I don't see why you couldn't make a decaf version. Remember to brew the coffee a little stronger since it will dilute with ice in it. You don't want the coffee to taste like water. Store it in an air tight container in your fridge. Good luck!

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not tried iced coffee using decaffeinated coffee powder. I may have tried it somewhere but there's no mention whether the coffee used was decaf or not. Perhaps you can try it for yourself by buying Nescafe decaf and pouring 2 tablespoons on to your mug. After filling it with hot water, place iced water and ice over it. I think the taste won't be that much different unless you're partial to caffeine that you can tell the difference between regular coffee and decaf. Add some whipped cream if you like.

5. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    Thanks for all of the responses. I am definitely going to try a couple of things suggested. I should have asked in my initial post but better late than never...can you really make iced coffee using instant coffee? My best friend and I have been debating it but don't want to be disappointed. Has anyone ever tried to do so, and if so how did it turn out? I know one thing though, I will find a way to make it decaffeinated. Thanks again all!!

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I believe you could ask for decaf at Starbucks for almost any of their drinks so maybe just look into that. If you want to control the ingredients a bit more then just get instant decaf coffee and make some yourself at home and the best thing is you could even control the sugar. If you want another alternative then consider just making iced milk tea using tea bags and sugar and milk.