Instant or homemade soup?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Aug 20, 2014.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've not done it myself, but I have some friends who do this. They make the soup in an extra large batch and then split it up into easy serving sizes to freeze. Then all the friends do the same and they swap their extra sets. Then everybody ends up with several different ready-to-go soups in their freezers!

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer homemade soup. I make my own stock and freeze it so I always have it on hand and then decide what kind of soup to make based on what's in the fridge. They're inexpensive to make and so much better than store bought. With winter coming, I'll be making it quite a bit more often. I'm also going to be looking into new flavour combinations and trying completely new to me veggies.

3. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I like homemade soup better than instant soup. It taste a whole lot better and has a better flavor. I have tried instant soup and sometimes it was either too salty or not enough salt. I guess it all depends on the brand.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    For me, it is homemade soup every time. It is so much nicer and easy to make. I also think it is a great way of using up the veg in the refrigerator before it goes out of date. I regulalrly make soup. Typical varieties I make are pea and ham, vegetable broth, minestrone,mushroom or one that I call Mediterannean soup. For the latter I use tomatoes, zuccini and red peppers.

5. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely love homemade soup. I think it's rather easy to make and it just tastes so much better in general. Homemade soup allows me to add seasonings that are to my liking. These seasonings usually cannot be found in instant soup. I also do not like instant soups because of the artificial flavors and preservatives and most of them have MSG in them. When I make soup, I usually make a big pot and then split it in to smaller portions and freeze them for later use.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I love homemade soup. Sometimes, I buy the instant ones when I am too lazy to cook though. I just refrain from eating anything instant often because they might have preservatives or other additives that are not good for me. Homemade soup is especially better when the meat/bones have been simmering or boiling for a long time. :D When we make beef soup, we make sure to boil the meat together with the bones for at least three hours.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big soup lover, but whenever I feel like having some soup I prefer homemade over instant any time. That said, I bought Campbell's soup to eat right after I had my wisdom teeth removed, and they were great. I particularly liked the chicken noodle soup and the cream of mushroom. So, even though homemade soup tastes very good, Campbell's soups are also very tasty.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Self prepared and cooked soups, depending how well you mixed it all, are in my opinion far better than pre-made or canned soups. People who believe pre-made and canned soups are better either have bad palates, have never tasted quality soups, or mentally conditioned to believe good home-made or self-made soups are not possible. Self-made or home-made soup quality, goes to directly show a individual's ability to cook well and will generate respect from others far more.

9. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I used to eat a lot of the Ramen soup. Also Campbell's can soup. There is no comparison when you make it at home versus if you buy it in a store. I used to buy soup when I was younger and in college and had no time (or money) for anything else. The Ramen noodles were especially good for that. But it is very unhealthy also. I know how to make this broccoli soup which is delicious.

10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Canned cream soup is pretty unhealthy, but it is really delicious on occasion especially with croutons and garlic bread. Homemade soup is probably the cheaper and healthier option, especially with winter coming soon, make yourself a nice warm bowl of soup!

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I like both...overall I definitely prefer homemade soup as I feel it's a lot healthier and easier to customize to your tastes and needs, plus overall it ends up being cheaper and you can do it in large batches if you want. However, sometimes you just want a no hassle, quick option and instant soup is great for that every now and then.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Homemade soup, hands down, is better. Aside from the absence of preservatives, homemade soups taste more organic and natural compared to instant soup or dry soup mixes. Although I admit the mixes have a rich taste, they taste more synthetic than natural. Not to mention several of these mixes are drenched in MSG and other preservatives.