Insurance for New Drivers

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by steph84 • Nov 8, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My sister is a first time driver and getting a car this weekend. We live in California. She was thinking of getting esurance. Does anyone else have esurance? Any recommendations for first time drivers?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have esurance but it may be a good company for a first time driver. They are more geared toward the younger generation than other companies. They are now owned by Allstate so I would feel better about going with them now. I used to work for an independent insurance agency and my best suggestion for your sister would be to look for any type of discounts she can get. She might be able to get one for good grades and some companies will give young drivers a discount for completing a safe driver test. If she can combine her policy with an adult's policy, both can get a multi car discount. It is also a good idea to get an insurance cost estimate from the Kelly Blue Book or the Edmund's website for the particuar type of car she is looking at getting. This will give her an idea of what to expect to pay for insurance.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How old is your sister?

Usually I recommend going through who ever her parents have insurance through. If at all possible, getting a policy under them will save her on insurance without greatly increasing your parents at all (which she would pay, of course).

I have never used esurance at all.

4. adam24

adam24New Member

Threads:
    Compare new driver car insurance quotes with moneysupermarket.com. Use our comparison tool to find the best prices from more than 125 UK companies.

5. alishamilan

alishamilanNew Member

Threads:
    I am doing driving, but I am not taken insurance. It's so important.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is good to go thru your parents agent especially if she still lives at home it will save her some money.

7. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    Well for first time drivers, you always want to have a good report on everything. So make sure your sister doesn't get into any arguments on the road or any accidents. Any tallies on your record could boost your insurance rate.

8. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You will be ripped off if you are a first-time driver, it's unfortunate but understandable. You need to pay more as you are lacking in experience and thus more likely to have an accident. I paid a fortune when I first started driving but the price has come down since then.

9. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Guys like you and I are considered the most dangerous drivers on the road so our rates are the highest among any demographic. This is especially true if you're driving an upscale car. If you've tried all the different websites and all the quotes are too high, try persuading an older family member with a good driving record to see if that person can add you to their insurance. I am with Geico and I pay $160 month, which is remarkably low considering I'm a male, under 25, live in NY, and have only had my license for 2 years.