Intel's Skylake Chips Are Coming In October

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by troutski • Jul 25, 2015.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    According to most sources, Intel will release its next processors, codenamed Skylake, sometime in October. At least that's when OEMs will start releasing devices with the chips. Battery life is supposed to be at least 20% higher than Broadwell chips, and the performance boost to graphics processing is pretty big. Broadwell was a decent improvement, but both chipsets should meet your needs as long as you get the right processor.

2. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Gotta love Moores law!
    I was a big AMD fan, but in the last decade they really haven't made decent processors and Intel is the brand I always buy.

3. troutski

Threads:
    Intel's slowing down to some degree, too, though. Moore's Law continues to become more and more challenging to fulfill, although our most powerful computing hardware is over a trillion times more powerful than the first supercomputer (!). I prefer Intel, too, and I even prefer it for mobile devices, even though Intel's mobile processors aren't dominant over Qualcomm's Snapdragon processors.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    More battery life will be nice, but I wonder how much more these will cost. I would love to upgrade my stuff more often but I just can't afford it since I'm not technically using them for work. I wonder how long it will take for the price to cone down a bit.

5. troutski

Threads:
    Well, you won't notice the price go up on budget or midrange devices. High-end devices with Skylake chips will run a wide price range, though. New processors don't necessarily mean higher prices on equipment, although Intel charges a premium compared to some other processor manufacturers. Then again, Intel does offer the best performance, despite its higher price relative to the competition. I wouldn't worry too much about prices.

6. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    Skylake looks interesting but I won't be upgrading from a i7-4790. I would have to go down to an 15-6600 to afford it and it's really not worth it as not many technologies take advantage of it as well. Maybe it's something I'll consider in the future but definitely not a launch upgrade.