Investing on office chairs and desks?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by deathbyprayer • Nov 5, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I work at home for the most part and I tend to just sit on my wooden chair in front of my rusty computer table all day. I've been doing this for a long while and I've gotten used to sitting on the hard wooden surface of my chair and the small desk space of my computer table. I was just wondering, would it be a great investment to have an actual office chair and desk? They're pretty expensive but I was just wondering, maybe it would improve the way I work in a way. What do you think?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! Understand that you have to live outside of work, so if your posture develops into something horrible because you didn't invest in yourself, it will be a huge regret. At the very least, you have to get a good chair to sit in and can adjust to whatever you are using as a desk.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    After having surgery on his L5S1 disc in his back, my husband quickly realized the importance of expensive office chairs, and all chairs, for that matter. The fact is, most humans are doing a ton of daily damage to our spines, necks, hands, and shoulders, by sitting in chairs and at desks that create habits of bad posture. It is even worse for people who do most of their computer work in a bed or on a couch.

I assume the original poster is someone young. 30 somethings certainly know the importance of good furniture and the fact that the investment goes far beyond living room aesthetics. You can't really put a price on lifelong health or lifelong pain. Haha.

4. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    An office chair is a wise, long-term investment that is definitely worth some amount of window shopping and gallery visits. Do you browse for ergonomics chair? I think the prices vary, but they mostly work under the same principle. You'd need a good backrest, firm seating, solid armrest, and the chair should be adjustable to suit your computer workstation.

5. hanseung

hanseungNew Member

Threads:
    I think the chair you spend most of your time sitting in definitely has a partial impact on your lifestyle, so I think it'd be a great investment! Ensure that the chair you buy is a good fit for you, as well, because not everyone is the same. It's probably time for me to invest in a new office chair, too, but I'm so in love with my current one, I might just wait a while.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's really important, if I'm not comfortable then I can't work. With a new chair I adjust the height and the arms on the chair and how it feels. I would say it's an important investment as you will spend a lot of time there and you need to consider your back and your butt, both need to be comfortable for long periods of time.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I think investing in a chair would be a lot better. If you don't get a good chair and you end up messing up your back it will prove to be much more expensive in the future so it's best to just get a good chair to begin with, in my opinion. I don't even think you need those very expensive ones. Just get something mid range so you'll have a lot less to worry about and it will be better for your health and posture too.

8. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I've been working at home for three years and a great desk and chair are definitely one of the best investments I have made. I highly suggest you go for an adjustable desk if you can find one. This allows you to set the desk at whatever height you're comfortable with. I'm also one of those who likes to stand while working after a couple of hours or so and an adjustable desk allows me to do this with ease.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you go for it. Your surroundings as well as the vibe around you can affect your motivation and the quality of your work. Having new office chairs and desks will make a difference in your performance, I can guarantee you that. There's some hidden psychology behind change which you may want to apply in your current situation.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You would actually be more productive and make more money if you were comfortable, so you should definitely invest in a good office chair. I had the weirdest luck that when my office chair broke, someone threw out a better one and I picked it up. But I would have paid for a decent office chair, because it's hard to work when your back hurts.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with everybody else, go for it. It'll make the world of difference. You'll feel more inspired and motivated to work. We have a typical office set up in my house as my husband also works from home, it's all set up with office desks and chairs, a printer and drawers. We get up every morning and go into work at 7.30am as though we were going to work. I believe it spurs you on :)

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I think these office furniture are expensive for a reason but of course don't go for the expensive ones if you don't have the money for it. I also work at home and I realized how important having a proper work place is when it comes to your productivity.

You can't actually do that much work if you're crammed into a tight space plus you mentioned that you sit on a wooden chair, which I imagine is a literal pain in the butt, so investing on a proper comfy office chair would not be a waste.

13. Marin White

Marin WhiteNew Member

Threads:
    If u don't need expensive one, I will suggest to go with budget

, Its comfortable ultimately increase in productivity.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also work from home. My job requires at least 5-6 hours per day in front of the computer. I have an old garden chair that I have been using for a long time. It's very comfortable and has never caused me much pain until recently when I started developing neck strain. But that be stress related. So, I am now thinking about investing in a decent office chair, as I already have a custom made office table.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The furniture itself doesn't have to be crazy expensive for it to be comfortable. I would say the more important thing is if your computer desk is the right height for your arms to rest comfortably when sitting in the given seat you plan to use as a desk chair with it. I've in the past spent a lot of money on a nice desk, and a big fancy leather desk chair, only to find out the desk was too low and the leather chair couldn't drop down low enough for me to sit properly at the desk. So my neck, wrists, and back were in a lot of pain, until I finally got rid of both the desk and the chair.

These days I prefer to test out the chairs and desks together in person at places like OfficeMax, so I know I will pick both that work together properly. My personal favorite as far as chairs go, are what's known as a Task Chair - these are the kinds with the mesh backs and tons of levers on them to adjust just about everything. The mesh backing holds up perfectly and provides great support without making you too hot or warm. Plus you don't see the "wear and tear" on them like you would with a leather or other standard office chair. They're also less bulky overall.