iPhone 4s Still Worth Buying?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Sep 9, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm planning on getting an iPhone 4s because they have gotten much cheaper and I imagine that they would lower in price much more soon as iPhone 6 is released, but in am just worrying that the specs might be be too outdated in the near future and if I bought one now I worry that it might be too slow or unsupported in just a year or two. So for anyone out there who is using a 4s still, I'd like to know how it is holding up against modern apps and the current OS. Is it starting to lag or does it still run very well? Do you think getting one now would be worth it?

2. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I think the 4S isn't worth buying at the moment, even though the prices have came down for the 4S, it is still a high price and there are simply many other phones out there that are better value. Also, I think iOS 8 will be the last update the 4S gets, so therefore it won't be long until the apps in the app store stop supporting the 4S, so you won't even be able to download new apps in a year or 2. If you are so keen to get a iPhone, at least get the 5s or 6 when they come out. The 5C will also be dropping in price soon when the 6 comes out.

3. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    If I am correct, apple admitted to a defective battery with one of the iphone 4 versions. Users would say that their phone abruptly shut off even when the battery would display a level of 20%. I would advise against purchasing an iphone 4. You can get something a lot better and functional. It is a lot heavier than the iphone 5 too. I expect price drops since their new unveiling of the iphone 6 and iphone 6 plus. Go with an iphone 5 if you really want a cheap one, just be patient and look around. The 5c is a good phone, but it is nothing exceptional. The design is actually attractive, but it will likely to decrease in price. The 5c is good enough for your average phone needs.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I still use the iphone 4s and it's fine. I don't think it's THAT outdated yet. Just don't spend a fortune on it.

And yes, as Jake mentioned, some of them do have battery issues, so if you're buying used, make sure you don't get a defective one.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's still worth buying, especially if you can get a great deal. With a contract they're practically free these days. If it were me and I could afford it, I'd spring for the 5 if you can wait until the 6 comes out. The screen and camera are much nicer and it's a lot faster than the 4S.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it is but I would refrain from it. Since the iPhone 6 is already out there the price of the iPhone 5 will have to be cut down so it's a better choice over the 4S. I say hold it first and wait for a few months before purchasing.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's still a good phone that is if you don't mind some of it's short comings. But it's more of a price over function war going on here, if you get the iPhone 4S it would be cheaper but you have to put up with some of the features it lacks and the overall performance when you choose a latter model like the iPhone 6 then it's a matter of price.

8. oolong

oolongNew Member

Threads:
    I would get at least an iphone 5.

For the iphone 4s the new operating system (ios8) is going to have problems: small screen (the 4s was the last iphone to have a 3.5" screen) and performance (stats: 40 sec to cold boot, ~2 sec for safari, ~2 sec for camera)

iphone 4: ios 8 wont work and you can not install it.

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think getting a used 4s is worth it anymore, with the release of the iPhone6 the prices of the 5 and the 5s is going to come crashing down and while the 4s will be even cheaper than those, I think the price difference will be negligible for the upgrade that it is.

You've already waited this long, just hold on a little more :)

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If you find the features and price point attractive, yes, it's worth buying. But as others pointed, now that the IPhone 6 got released, wait a little more and the IPhone 5 will see a major price drop. After all, millions of phones were sold, plenty of owners will want the new release and sell the old one. And while I don't know much about IPhones I imagine the tech of the IP5 is better and much evolved than the one present in the 4.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't get the iPhone 4S anymore. I think it's very obsolete right now. There has been three new versions after that. Of course, if you really want to buy an iPhone instead of every other brand but has no money to buy any new were version, you can get that one. However, the screen is really small and I wouldn't get it.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    If I were you I would try to get at least an iPhone 5. The 4S is getting very close to the point where apple stops supporting it and the new iOS updates start making it perform slower. It still has a good two years and possibly a bit more to go before they give up on it in my opinion, but if you pay a bit more you could get one that lasts you four to five years. It's up to you, but it is very sad once apps stop working on your phone and you're stuck looking for workarounds to make them work, trust me, that happened to me with the 3G.

13. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    My mother-in-law just bought the 4S and she is not having any problems with it. It is already updated with the new software and seems to be working fine. I honestly do not think that it will get outdated soon because I know people who are still has the iPhone 3G, which is old. They say that their phone is still working great also.

14. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    I would say extend your budget a little bit and wait for the price cut of iPhone 5, this is much better than settling with a 3.5 inch screen of iPhone 4s, it's faster, thinner and more stylish, better camera and better features overall compared to iPhone 4s.

15. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Apple hasn't always been so hot in terms of older devices supporting newer updated iOS versions. Sure they "work," but they run so much slower that eventually your phone feels like it's continually downgrading with every patch.
    That said, you could leave the device on an older iOS version, but then it's a gamble when various apps may stop working on your device as they are meant only for newer iOS versions.

16. bsthebenster

bsthebensterNew Member

Threads:
    I still have my 4s iPhone since it first came out. I think it works just fine with all the new OS. The main problem is that with each upgrade you have less space on the phone. If you are getting one with more space you won't run into this problem as much. The camera is descent but not amazing. You can probably get something nicer for cheaper by another company but if you are wanting to go with Apple it's not bad as a cheap alternative to the new phones. I haven't needed to get a different type of phone yet.

17. markxx12

markxx12New Member

Threads:
    Today i bought iphone 4s for 44 dollar :D and i think its still worth buying.