Is A Macbook A Good Investment?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Miaka_M • Sep 14, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Now, I know that Apple products are not exactly the cheapest things out there, they range around at least $1000, but for the long run, would you get it?

Macs come loaded with the top antivirus softwares and they have a number of different features that other PC laptops do not have. I bought a PC laptop years ago and I remember having to buy an antivirus protection software, only to have a virus still attack my laptop! By then, I must've spent a couple hundred more to recover it. I then switched to a Macbook Pro.

It was around $1400, but worth it. Why? Well, with my experience (I've had my mac for 4 years) there were never any issues. I could do whatever I wanted, go anywhere on the net and not fear a virus. It gives you ultimate freedom. Why would I pay an additional $100+ to deal with these issues yearly if I can invest in a mac?

What do you think? Do you think in the long run, that you can potentially save more by buying a mac?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally when I tried another computer, for cost and weight I ended up so frustrated I couldn't work properly with it. I do see a Mac as in investment for work, and it makes working much faster. I was annoyed with Windows constant updates, but I think they are fine for children or older people who surf and open the odd document here or there.

Macs aren't for everyone though, and cost is a factor so it does depend on what you use it for.

3. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I like my Mac. It has all the software I need to do work, and it seldom suffers from the problems that plague a lot of PCs. Yes, I can't customize it nearly as much, but I don't need to customize it. The two times that I had a major problem with my Mac were both entirely my own fault, because I'm not as careful as I should be.

That said, you got antivirus programs with your Mac? How? I've owned three Macbooks now, and not one of them came with antivirus programs pre-installed. Do you mean to say that Macs don't need antivirus, for the most part, because they aren't really targeted by viruses in the first place? I'd certainly say that's true.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about Mac and Apple brand in general is that it is more software centered. They don't have the greatest specs but they perform usually top notch. If you want a PC for gaming then getting a Mac is not in the realm of realism. I would honestly suggest doing a custom built PC over a Mac.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think in the long run Mac laptops will still come out as more expensive than windows laptops even after considering how many trips you'd have to do and after paying for inevitable repairs, but if you are somehow able to make your Mac laptop last for around 6 years, which really isn't improbable at all, then it would be pretty much equal. I personally had one I was able to use for give years and I don't regret paying the extra I had to pay initially since for all those years I never had a problem whereas my windows laptops always give me something to stress about.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to play games, so Macs aren't for me. I can also save a lot on buying a Windows computer and if ever it malfunctions, I only need to shell out at least $12 at the least to have it repaired, so it's relatively cheap.

#6Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  7. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Back then I would say yes but now, I'm not so sure. If the price doesn't affect you then the performance might, since most of the laptops today that costs relatively lesser than the Macbook is twice as powerful and would probably last you a very long time without having to upgrade to a newer one.

But I guess it depends on your work. Although Macbooks are powerful for average use, it's not going to last if you're doing something really heavy in terms of computing power so going for a laptop would be a much better option in terms of price and performance.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have been a mac user for over 15 years. I started with a minimac and I loved it. Now I have a desktop and it's fantastic. Same thing, I have never had any problems with virus. When you use a Mac you have peace of mind. I know it's more expensive but in the long run I do think it saves time and hassles. My next purchase will probably be a macbook pro. I can't wait. Even better I can get a teacher's discount on most Apple products.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think so if you have the money, and is looking for a really good quality laptop. However, the problem that I have with MacBooks is that 99.9% of the people I know have Windows computers. So sending files and things like that becomes A nightmare. So because it is a little over my budget and what I mentioned lastly, I don't buy one.