Is Anyone Else An Ebay Addict?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Nikole • Feb 19, 2015.

1. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I am a self-proclaimed eBay addict! First time poster, and I hope I am posting in the appropriate forum for this, but I just had to share that I am pretty proud to have become fairly proficient at finding awesome deals on Ebay. Granted, some of the really good deals take forever to ship to you (often coming from out of the country), so I've gotten used to ordering things very far in advance to make sure they get here in time for birthdays/holidays. Right now I'm buying toys for Easter and found some wind up hopping chickens for around &0.80/each! Ebay has to be my favorite place to find deals on toys and jewelry, and with most places not charging tax and getting money back through Ebates and Ebay bucks, I actually prefer to shop through Ebay for almost everything. After Christmas, I actually had almost $20 in Ebay bucks that I spent on a shirt. So, are you an Ebay addict? Any tips or tricks to share? Or do you prefer another site to Ebay?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lol! I certainly am not an Ebay addict, but I really do love the website, and it is my current go-to wesbite if I need anything because the prices are great, and it allows for easy communication with the sellers, most of the time anyway. I have not been spurned by an ebay seller yet, and I find it more easy than amazon. But if Ebay is not giving me what I want, then I go to Amazon.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer doing my shopping on Ebay because most of the stuff sold on the site is cheaper. Most people know this but because they've heard of scams on Ebay, they prefer to buy their stuff elsewhere.

Scams needn't worry you if you take the right precautions. Create/Open a paypal account and use it to pay for anything you buy. Should anything bad happen, you can dispute the transaction and get your money back.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I am an Ebay addict, but I do like the website. I have found that if I want to order something online that I will go to Ebay to see who is selling it there and for what price. I have found that I have got some great deals on Ebay. Yes, I know that some prefer Amazon over Ebay, which is fine. But for me Ebay works better mainly because there are many sellers who offer free shipping with their items and on Amazon to get free shipping a person has to spend more then thirty-five dollars. This may not seem like a big deal to some but for me it can be. As for scams on Ebay I tend to stick with sellers who have a good reputation out there have good reviews and a strong rating.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be an eBay addict in the early 2000's when it was fun.
    Now, especially for sellers, it's stressful and hard to make a sale because for every item that you list, a Chinese seller has an imitation listed for 1 penny. Even as an artist, I'm competing against Chinese art factories that have children cranking out hundreds of paintings for very little money.
    eBay kind of sucks now for sellers.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha I guess it's partly due to the fact that I was scammed in the past that I don't like to shop there as much. I still will on occasion if I find a good deal but if anything I would say I'm an Amazon addict. It's easy to sell and buy there to me. Sometimes I will go on there to get ideas on what to buy so I don't have anything in mind yet when I visit.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do often wonder how sellers make their money, because there are always the same items going for less money. I guess that the difference between a sale or a non-sale for the sellers is feedback ratings and reviews?? I go off of those two things - price and seller feedback rating.

8. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I don't know if I'd call myself an addict but I do the majority of my shopping online. I've used eBay a lot and been very happy with most of the sellers there. Like you, I'm pretty proficient at finding great deals too.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm more fond of other sites but I am slowly making all of my purchases online and I rarely buy anything at physical stores anymore these days. It's just way too easy to compare prices online instead of being clueless while shopping at physical stores. The only drawback is that I still don't always get the best prices since I have to pay for shipping but I think that is alright since I don't even have to leave the house.

10. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    Only when I was selling items and it was early 2000's. I know someone with a very successful online store. He has a pawn shop and buys a lot of electronics from people who need money and resells them for 3x's As much for profit. Many people buy from him from all over the country. He has a very good seller rating and has items posted regularly with good photos and description of the condition. I used to help him for a little while. Of all my experience selling items I have not once purchased from eBay.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a lot of stuff on eBay around 8-10 years ago but don't bother so much these days - I'm finding that the bargains are few and far between now. I have better luck at thrift stores and yard sales.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I use it often but that's really because I have a hard time passing up things shipped across the world for free & incredibly cheap. I think I actually might sell things more than I do purchase.

13. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    Even though I am afraid to admit it, I do frequent eBay more than I should. I just love looking at items that are cheaper than retail. Also, I am able to contact the seller which is a plus.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love the thrill of getting something cheaper than the original price, so I love to bid on auctions. And I think that it really is some sort of addiction, because even if I know that I will pay almost $3 per parcel when I claim it in the post office, I still bid on the items that I like. There's something "addictive" about getting something that only costs less than $3 that I can't resist. But when it comes to more expensive and taxable items, then that's where I seldom bid, since I will get charged more for tax when it arrives in the country.

15. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am not am addict, but I do live shopping on eBay. The problem I have is getting into fierce bidding wars with other users because the items I tend to buy are popular among other bidders. I have received some very good deals using the site and most of the sellers are nice people. I have even sold a few unwanted items and made myself some extra pocket change. Nothing really worth bragging about, but enough to go out to dinner or buy myself something new.

16. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I love Ebay shopping, but I would not label myself an 'addict'. I get cosmetics, kids toys, shoes, clothes, home decor and a bunch of other stuff on Ebay, but I try not to get too crazy. When I find awesome deals I take advantage of them where ever I can get them and Ebay often has great deals.

17. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    My latest haul was 2 laptops (both confirmed under warranty), some new goodies for my camera (lenses, hand strap, etc.), a couple of stuffed animals and little toys for my kids, and a whole bunch of flower seeds so I can start planting. My next haul is going to be supplies to make my costume for renaissance faire :)

18. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I'm pretty cautious but I have bought several small electronics items (dash-cam, bike computer, gold scales) through eBay from Hong Kong sellers and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality and low prices of the items. A few days ago, I bought a large item from a seller back east (see

and we'll see how that turns out.

Most sellers on eBay place a high value on their ratings by customers and buyers are also rated on eBay. I have a good reputation as a buyer and I'll only deal with sellers that have a good reputation for honesty in their dealings. For that reason, I think it's really important to rate sellers and rate them objectively. grin. Your thoughts?

Now I'm wondering about Amazon so I'll start checking it out too.

19. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I'm an "addict", that's too strong of a word for me. However, eBay is the best place in my experience to find stuff relevant to be my hobbies, like video games and Magic: the Gathering at (usually) the best prices. Like you mentioned, often times the best deals take a way to ship, so I don't use eBay if I need something soon.

20. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I used to by phone stuff to my old selfphone and that was really cool!