Is Bottled Water Worth The Cost?

Discussion in Water started by Isabellas2007 • Jun 8, 2012.

1. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I don't think so. We've got a lot of microbes in our body and sterilizing water doesn't help us to be healthy. Nothing to do with 'better safe than sorry", because sterilized doesn't mean better. It's less natural.
    I like mineral water, only this sort of bottled water I can pay for. However now you never know which water is really natural and which is not, and that bugs me sometimes.

2. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    When you take into account that it's a natural resource that any of us can very well get ourselves then no. And when you take into account that bottle water comes from a tap half the time, then it's a definite no.

3. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I used to drink tap water until I filled up a glass and saw all the junk floating around in it. I do not seem to see the same junk floating around in bottled water. Maybe it is just me, but I always buy bottled water. I do think, however, that I should do some research and see just which companies have any rap on putting tap water in their bottles.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local North Miami Beach city tap water is bottled and shipped to other places and sold in bottles at baseball games. So basically the tap water in my area is bottled water that hasn't been bottled yet. I don't buy bottled water, I fill water bottles with my city tap water. Bottled water is not worth the money to me.

5. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    It is definitely not worth the cost. I used to be in the water filter business so i know insides and outs of all the issues with bottled water. Bottled water is the biggest water scam EVER! The only way the industry can sell this many bottles is because of the convenience of being able to take the bottles everywhere, but it does not guarantee that the water is good quality. Plastic contains the chemical BPA which ends up in water when bottle is exposed to any temperature changes. BPA causes cancer, but due to very efficient advertizing like putting a picture of a mountain spring causes people to think the water is pure. Moms who feed their kids bottled water should really look for alternatives. There are many. One is installing a filtration system like reverse osmosis on a tap and filling up glass bottles, or buy refillable BPA free bottles. However some reverse osmosis filters can take away the much needed nutrients from the body, like calcium. Water sticks to calcium ions, which RO system removes, so when RO water enters the body, it sticks to calcium in the body, which a person ends up peeing out. So it's best to buy the filters that after RO filtration insert the calcium back into the water, but it is more expensive the way. That way the amount of clean water is unlimited, but make sure you change the filters on time. Glass bottles are the best, and healthiest way to bottle water.

6. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    Carbon Filters have always worked best and have been out the longest. So if you need more research material on why the water's bad check out Dr.Oz on water filtration on Youtube. He shows an Aquasana filter as a big approach to protect your family the right way. If you need more information about pros and cons, email me at [email protected], I would be happy to answer any questions and provide professional advice. I Strongly care about the topic so feel free to email me.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also believe that bottled water is not worth it, because you can always drink water at home, so why would you buy something that's quite abundant in your household right? I have never bought bottled water at all, if I'm gonna buy bottled drinks, then I'm gonna buy softdrinks or juices instead.

8. harryca

harrycaNew Member

Threads:
    Buying bottled water is surely not worth the money if tap water is drinkable (don't forget tap water isn't safe to drink anywhere in the world). I only buy bottled water when I am on the road and I forgot to bring my reusable bottle with me. It's just a matter of habit.

9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to live in Knoxville. There is a city park that has a spring fed faucet with some of the best water in the U.S. There is usually a line of people waiting to fill bottles. Now I live back in Florida and there is an artesian well about 10 miles from here with great water. I have a good well so I don't go to the spring too often.

10. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Water bottle isn't really worth it.

The only reason why we buy it is because of convenience. I would recommend for people to get a reverse osmosis filtration system. You will end up saving a lot of money in the long haul.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing on the shelves is worth the cost lol. But back to bottled water; no it's not worth it and for all the reasons already stated. I always filter my own tap water, I wouldn't drink it otherwise, it's disgusting. I haven't found tap water I liked.. not since back in the day anyway. Bottled tap water is the same stuff, but add in the plastic poisons from the bottle and it's a chemical soup I'm totally not into.

12. Dola1991

Dola1991New Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not. The only benefit of bottled water is the bottle. Who ever conceived bottled water, was a business genius. As for me, I use one of those purifiers. It works just as well.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you mentioned Fiji. That's the only bottled water I drink nowadays. We used to get bottled water a lot more but then we got a filter. Sadly though money still gets spent because the Fiji is better than the filter but that's why it's so expensive. When I don't have one on hand though and need water I will definitely drink the filtered tap. Sometimes you just can't avoid it though because you're caught out with no filter like when you're traveling and not everyone sells Fiji.

#53Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  14. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I just wrote an article on "How to Purify Water" for a client who apparently sells bottled water. I live in Florida, where we have plenty of good water, but also hurricanes and other storms which can cause loss of power and even public water. Most experts recommend keeping an emergency supply of drinking water, 3 gallons per person. Bottled water is good for this. If you have well water and fracking is done nearby, you may need bottled water. Some fancy bottled water from effervescent mineral wells or springs may be good.

15. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    Get a reusable bottle from Amazon, a Brita (or similar filter) and attach it to your tap at home, and then you're set. No need to buy overpriced di-hydrogen monoxide. Bottled water is more expensive by volume than gas most of the time. I'd rather get it for "free" out of the taps.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's worth it for me because I usually reuse the bottles and refill with water from home so I'm at least able to get much more value out of not only the content but also the bottle as well. As for damage to the environment, I just trust that it is well within the calculations of the governments and whoever is on top of monitoring these things, and as long as I put it in the right bin for recycling then I trust that all should be fine. I do hope they come up with a less harmful material to use in the future, though.

17. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you live. In some countries the tap water is so bad you could get sick drinking it. But if you live in a country with great tap water I don't see any reason to buy bottled water because, in my opinion, tap water tastes a lot better. I still buy water in bottles if I want mineral water, but I never buy still water, because I can either drink from the tap or fill tap water into a bottle.

18. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    It's much better just get a good filter and a reusable water bottle if you live in an area with at least somewhat decent water supply on tap. It's more cost effective, better for the environment, and to me it seems more convenient anyway. It pays for itself after a few uses and the taste is just as good if you get a good filter.

19. zuulspaceman

zuulspacemanNew Member

Threads:
    I think bottled water is a scam in most cases. You can trace where some brands come from, and that's from the same source as most tap water. It's insane to think of all of the waste they create with those bottles as well. It's a better plan to take your own water, filter it, and use bottles over and over again. That way, you're not wasting money or harming the environment as much!

20. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    My dad can actually taste the difference between Poland Spring versus Deer Park or other water. There is a distinct difference between tap water and bottled spring water. Whether it is worth the money or not is a different story. There can be harmful substances in tap water, such as mercury that was found in LI ground water. but a home filtration system like the one I had growing up in Great Neck is all you need.