Is Cable Really Worth It?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by rainbowfrog2 • Feb 10, 2015.

1. rainbowfrog2

rainbowfrog2New Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of ways to watch t.v. shows and movies. I personally don't think cable is worth it. There are other ways to get access including Netflix, Amazon Prime, and apps. You might encounter adds before each show if you are not paying for the service (i.e. a free app), but I prefer this over commercials every 10-15 minutes. You're also able to access the shows and movies whenever you want, rather than wait until it is scheduled to come on.

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to cancel my cable subscription at the end of the month ;)
    I'm thinking about buying Chromecast maybe...

Netflix sounds pretty cool because they have all the Comedy Specials!
    I would stream Podcasts all day and be just fine :D
    But TV in general is a waste of time...

3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have Netflix which I can watch on tv through my PlayStation 4, but I also still have Direct TV. I know it's money that I could be saving per month, but I love keeping up with my shows while they are in season. I love my DVR and being able to watch what I want when I want. It's not a necessity, but I wouldn't give it up.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm like a minimalist, dude... :)
    How much does Netflix cost?

I don't really care too much about series... Haven't followed one since Breaking Bad.
    Never watched Lost, Prison Break, Game of Thrones, you name it :p

The more I think about it, the more Chromecast seems awesome :eek:

5. Turtletechie

TurtletechieNew Member

Threads:
    We don't have cable tv in my house and I have 3 kids. None of them seem to miss it at all. I do have a Netflix subscription and Chromecast and that seems to take care of any of our television watching needs. I also use an antenna to pick up over the air signal for those times I need the most basic channels and it gets the job done.

6. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    It seems like cable is a complete waste of time I’d rather just get Netflix which is only like eight dollars a month and I get everything that I could watch on TV plus more.

7. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I can see Cable TV as we know it, slowly drifting away. You know it's a sign when NBC gives a free stream for the super bowl. I'm glad they did cause I don't even have basic cable. I rather stream everything online. I don't care for the brain washing commercials on cable.

8. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I like cable because it offers a lot of channels but I aslo agree that it started to fade away because of netflix and chromecast which are a liitle bit cheaper that cable.

9. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    I've never had good luck with cable, it's expensive and it seems to cut out quite a bit. But I do love satellite. We subscribe to Dish, and it's only $50 a month, we get just the basic programming, but it comes with about 200 channels, including all the networks. We also have netflix, which I really enjoy, and it's only $8 a month. I'm a housewife, so I'm home 24/7 and the TV is on almost all day long, sometimes I watch closely, other times it's just background. I hate to admit it, but I do watch probably 8-10 hours a day - so netflix doesn't really have enough programming for me. But combined with satellite, I have enough to keep me entertained.

10. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Cable is slowly becoming extinct. I've switched from cable to netflix and hulu, and I have never been happier. The subscriptions are cheap as dirt, you can watch whatever you want without annoying commercials, and you can watch it on your television and computers. This really isn't up for debate anymore, it's more of personal preference if you choose cable or netflix/hulu. However, cable is definitely not worth it.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have cable, but my dad thinks that the monthly fee of $13 is quite cheap, and he's at home all day because he's already retired, so he can fully enjoy watching his sports channels, but that's just him, I guess. I don't think I would want to get a cable subscription once I move out though. I'd rather pay for an internet subscription.

12. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I honestly don't watch much on TV other than on our local channels, which I can get from the air waves. However, I recently asked our cable company about getting rid of cable and just keeping Internet. I was told I'd actually save money by paying for cable so I was duped into getting something we'll never watch, yet again.

13. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Cable and Satellite haven't been worth the money for many years now. Not only do you pay for channels you don't want. But they start giving you all these doubles and triples of channels in spanish and/or standard/ HD. All of which drive the cost ever so higher.

That's why people are looking at ways to cut the cord so much. That's why I can't wait until Playstation Vue comes to market fully.

14. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    At this point I really don't think traditional cable is worth it anymore. The only sticking point for me is that lack of options else where for sports. Once there is a viable option for streaming sports I will be extremely excited! At this point I choose to go without sports because I refuse to pay the outrageous costs for Cable TV.

15. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually talking to someone about this yesterday. It really depends on the kind of person you are and what you use the television for. TV seems nice for me because you can just flip through the channels and see whatever, on demand gets a little boring after a while. At the same time, here they're charging about $50 monthly for TV, where I can see $10 for Netflix and $30 for a better internet plan (to make up for all the bandwidth Netflix uses) still costing less then the TV plan (and the extra internet can be used for other things, and you can watch movies + documentaries as well on Netflix).

It really depends on the kind of person you are I guess.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, I haven't watched cable tv for years and spend my time playing videogames or watching shows on Netflix. I usually know which shows I want to watch and what programs will give me access to those shows, so I feel like having cable is unnecessary.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It drove me nuts that the companies wouldn't allow anyone to just pay for what they watched. Out of the 400,000,000,000,000 channels I had, I watched maybe 3.. and not that often. It REALLY wasn't worth it lol. I got rid of our service a few years ago and nobody's life has changed. My kids didn't even notice lol. Guess we had better things to do.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't find it worth it at all. We cancelled out satellite TV a while back, because it just... sucked. After the initial new subscriber discount ends, the full price is too much for what is offered. Many channels are repeats of others, many channels show nothing but reruns, and some are just infomercials. Back in the day, infomercials only ran on certain channels in the wee hours, but now it's all day every day. I'm not paying to watch a bunch of commercials, infomercials, and reruns. Netflix is good for me.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think cable is well worth it if you get the right package. For sure, some of the cable packages are much too expensive and they don't really deliver excellent content for the price. But since I'm such a sports junkie and a movie fan, I have to have cable. NetFlix selection of movies really isn't anything to write home about. So I need HBO, Showtime, etc. I do have NetFlix in addition to cable. But on it's own, it's not nearly enough to keep me entertained.

20. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Being a subscriber to cable TV for probably about 10 years, ever since I got my own place I have to say it definitely not worth it.
    I do watch quite a bit of TV and even I don't get any value for money. I think I worked out my package has everything but costs like 90 a month. Work that out over the year and that's far too much to spend on just watching TV.
    I will be cancelling as soon as my latest contract runs out and will switch to either a daily paid service or just find an alternative altogether.