Is Costco the best place to shop for groceries?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by darren777 • Oct 31, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a Costco membership, but the more and more I shopped there I kept getting this nagging suspicion that I'm really not saving all that much. I started doing price comparisons on items I could get at the grocery store as well and Costco really wasn't saving me anything vs. what I would pay for that item elsewhere. The prices on the bulk items per pound or per unit were often close to what I would pay elsewhere anyhow.

2. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    Here in Canada Costco is great and you will save money if you can plan out your spending and have the storage space :)

3. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of Costco. I am usually more used to shopping at Wal-Mart as I believe they have better deals and are more focused on customers and what they want.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    It is great that you can buy products in bulk. Though, Costco is just like your local Dollar Tree. They are cheaper but still cost more with every visit. You think that you are getting such a great deal that you spend more then you plan.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Costco sucks. I went in there early this year for a mystery shopping assignment and browsed. They had nothing special there. If anything they had less. Also I didn't see any free samples booths when I went in there. Their pizza from the cafe tastes like school pizza. I'm glad I went though because now I can feel comfortable knowing I'm not missing anything. Sam's Club is 100 percent better.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think it could very well be the best for people in some situations....large families, people who share the grocery shopping/buying large quantities with friends, and similar scenarios. It really is great for buying in bulk, and they have some steals on products you don't really find too many other places. My husband, son and I actually quite enjoy their store brand, as well, so that's a nice bonus. However, sometimes it's just too much for a little family- it's not always advantageous for us to buy in bulk so much.

I have to say that's really bizarre- I've never once been to a Costco with a poor selection or bad cafe food. And they ALWAYS have free samples practically around every corner- how strange.

#26Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Who knows? It could be just how my local Costco is. I always said my city is nothing special.

8. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I have yet to hear of anyone having a bad experience at Costco! It really does make me want to go ahead and get a membership for this new year! The main things that are attracting me to Costco is the value of the food and other products. You can buy in bulk and you'll still be getting a great deal!

9. tcomfortbl

tcomfortblNew Member

Threads:
    I love Costco, but you have to be extremely careful! The meat quality is great and probably the best price, seeing how you can freeze most of what you are not going to be using that week! I also enjoy the frozen items that you can't seem to find in the regular grocery stores.

10. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    My local Costco has free samples at every single turn throughout the store. You couldn't walk around for ten seconds before running into a free sample.

I agree that Costco has a great price and selection on most items. You just have to make sure that you are actually getting a good deal.

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy some stuff at Cotsco but not everything from it. Groceries, in example, are way too much cheaper at my local wholesaler market than in such store.

On the other hand, sometimes Sam's Club as also deals that beat Cotsco prices.

12. forumwriter225

forumwriter225New Member

Threads:
    Costco has always been the place I go for out-of-the-ordinary items. I tend to buy all of my groceries at my local wholesaler but shop at Costco when I want something somewhat exotic.