Is Downloading Something Posted on Youtube Piracy

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Oct 12, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Virtually any song you want to listen to can be found on youtube be it just the audio, video or a recorded live performance. I normally listen to these songs on youtube but I'd like to take it a step further since it's possible to download content from youtube anyway. This could save me cash I'd spend buying over-priced cds.

But let me have your opinions since this songs are in the public domain would I be pirating or infringing on the rights of anyone if I download them [the songs]?

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, but that is the reason why so many youtube vids disappear - the companies know good and well what is being done and they don't appreciate it at all.

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Besides the content being pulled from Youtube all the time for copyright infringement, I don't think Youtube gives you a native way to download either the video or the audio, you must install third-party software or addons, so I can't imagine it to be legal so it's definitely piracy.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely consider it piracy because the prose ions owners I am sure downloaded it for free and illegally as well. For example there are many songs on youtube that have been leaked too early and people take advantage and post these songs for views. Therefore we can see that this is a pattern and a huge form of piracy.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think it's against YouTube's policy to copy the videos uploaded there so I also think it's piracy. But then again, who would stop you from downloading content from YouTube? I don't think that you'll be jailed just by downloading the recent song of Katy Perry at YouTube. I download videos there all the time too so don't worry. You're not alone in this one.

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Well, legal legal it really isn't, otherwise Youtube would implement a function to download the videos without the need of plugins or extra tools. But hey, it's the internet, a lot of stuff is not that legal and people keep doing it!

7. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Some people also do things that are illegal off the internet, I still don't think they should :)

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It is piracy, since you now possess a digital copy without having to pay for it. It's still not the worst kind of piracy, though. Personally, I think it's alright since it just shows that the profit structure of the whole industry needs to change, since you can't just continually tell people to stop it, but the practice I dislike is if you use it to profit for yourself without permission from the owner. I think at that point you're really crossing the line, but that's just my opinion.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "since this songs are in the public domain"

You seem to not understand what public domain means. It definitely doesn't mean something that's posted freely, these works are still copyrighted and monetized - in the case of legal uploads. Any upload of a copyrighted material that is not uploaded by, or with a consent of, its copyright holder, is illegal. Downloading it is also illegal, even if posted by copyright holder, since he didn't make it available for download - you are obfuscating a DRM system of sorts to illegally download the copyrighted material and deprive them of their money.

10. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, like Aladar says, the new Miley Cyrus track or whatever isn't public domain.

I do believe it is piracy, "stealing" music is stealing, regardless of where you get it. If I'm correct, a number of the sites that rip audio from YouTube have been shut down (though plenty remain).

11. RotBaron

RotBaronNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm fairly certain that by US law this would be considered piracy. The thing is that a lot of the videos posted on youtube are not actually posted there by the content owners. I don't know the legality of what downloading music from an official music video for instance would be but it must be similar to that of recording something off of the radio.

At any rate I would avoid it and instead focus on finding the best deals on the media you're looking for. It's a shame that Itunes so often seems to be the only option for finding music but Amazon is a growing competitor.

#11Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    It is piracy and if you do it in large quantities it is no better than torrenting. That said I used to pirate all the time. Why? Because if nobody cares enough to stop me that means nearly everyone is doing it so they just can't stop it. Which in turn points to the fact that I am a horrible person :eek: apparently. Keep in mind though I don't do this anymore, I download off of Itunes like a good boy :rolleyes:

13. BlackMage

BlackMageNew Member

Threads:
    When a song is posted on an official Youtube channel by the artists themselves, it means that you have the permission to listen to that song as many times as you want, but only on Youtube. Since Youtube has the ability to monetize your videos for quite a while now, every single view of a song means extra profit for the artist in a way. However, if you download the song on your PC/smartphoe/mp3 player, you deprive the artist of any possible income, and it's definitely considered as piracy.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't actually download songs via Youtube yet, there are rumours this will happen in the near future but you will obviously have to pay as it will be an official download. Ripping Youtube content for download is piracy.

15. Kwizkey

KwizkeyNew Member

Threads:
    I believe that downloading anything for free that you are expected to pay for is piracy? When concerning media this is surely the case? There are definitely places where CDs are sold cheap. Spotify used to be an awesome option and still is as a mobile music centre.

16. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I don't buy that official youtube channel stuff. If choose to upload their music where it can be accessed by everybody it's absurd to assume that they don't know people will either attempt to download or successfully download those uploaded tracks. Why risk it? So maybe we should classify the downloading as semi-legal?

After all of the people at Ebaumworld got away with re-posting other people's videos on their web-site [for ca$h] why shouldn't someone making an innocuous download for offline listening be vilified?

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You're being absolutely ridiculous. There is no way to release an audio file that's impossible to pirate. By that same logic, downloading music from anywhere else would be legal, because, hey, the companies released the music instead of having only private listening parties!

Labels *have* to upload their music to some kind of on-demand service, because the age and technology demands it, it's that simple. By downloading something from Youtube, you are breaking their terms of service and you are illegally obtaining monetized/commercial product for free. Downloading commercial work for free is not "innocious", as it depraves the right and IP holders of money they would otherwise get.

18. Denis Hard

Threads:
    There's little difference between downloading videos or music from youtube or any other site as long as the content doesn't belong to you.

Quote From Wikipedia:
    eBaum's World. . .based in New York. . .is controversial. . .because much of their content. . .is taken from other sources without permission and rebranded with the eBaum's World logo.

No one ever sued eBaum's World. Why not, if getting other people's videos from any site was illegal? Why should downloading be legal for some and illegal for a few others?

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, there isn't. It's the same piracy as anywhere else. You are still depriving people of profit.

Because they usually don't redistribute COPYRIGHTED videos. If you cam someone slipping on ice with your mobile phone, it's not copyrighted unless you go thru the trouble of doing so, which no one does.

20. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see how they could enforce something like this. When you are watching something on Youtube, by design you are technically downloading the video to your computer as it is streaming. The only difference is the files are being downloaded to your temporary internet files, which most people don't tend to go through manually, and are deleted eventually. However, if you know how to find the files, you could just as easily take them and copy them over to another folder for permanent storage. They would have to make a distinction that it is illegal to keep the files you've watched via streaming services. Some video sites make this more difficult to capture, since they will only stream the video in fragments, and there isn't just one large video file in your temp files once it's done. But most don't do this.