Is equipment worth the money?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by lizzief79 • Sep 12, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    As a writer, I was recently asked to write quite a lengthy review about fitness equipment. 7,500 words about elliptical machines, treadmills and mountain bikes. I was absolutely staggered by the prices! Some pieces of equipment were over $12,000. I am not a fitness fanatic myself so it is not an area I have a lot of personal experience in, although in my youth I was a professional dancer. Do you think it is worth spending this amount of money on fitness equipment or do you think you can achieve the same results for free? Is running on a treadmill that cost thousands of dollars in some way better than running on mixed terrain outdoors?

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your goals, I have a free weights gym setup which wasn't too costly although it really depends. A gym membership would definitely be cheaper on the short-term regardless of franchise however on the long-term the dedicated gym setup definitely will pay itself off after a few years. In my opinion the privacy and freedom to work out whenever I want is also worth the price.

3. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a good point you make here about privacy and freedom to work out whenever you want. I suppose that if you are enthusiastic about fitness and will use the equipment a lot, it would pay off over the years. It was the shock of seeing the prices! Having never bought any such equipment myself, I was staggered at the cost.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For pricey equipment I don't think there's a need to buy them. That's why we have gyms. Unless you are filthy rich and hate mingling with the riff raff, then it's better if you just need to use the equipment for working out [occasionally] to get gym membership. You could opt for pay as you go to cut on expenses if you don't intend to get into the gym every day.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, it's not so much about the price of such equipment that is the deciding factor in purchasing it, but rather the place where you live. I, for example, have lived in places, where it was simply too dangerous to go out and exercise in gyms, or there were no gyms available at all. So, investing in reasonably priced exercise equipment that you can install in your home, sounds like a really good idea to stay fit and balanced.

6. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    You need to look at return on investment for the equipment you are buying. If you are an athlete in training it may make you money to have your own home gym. You can also resell the equipment after a few years and replace with better equipment. Gym memberships can be expensive if you don't get to use them, so you may prefer to have a set up at home and get in a workout when it suits you. Personally, purchasing second hand equipment for a home gym is a great way to save money if you have the space to set it up. You don't need a lot, just enough to get in a good workout.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on the need of the person. We have an exercise equipment here at home, but it is rarely used, so obviously that's wasted money. But for the gym buff who is always exercising every single day, then I think investing in one of those gym equipment would be ideal if they can afford it. If not, then they can just go to the gym. Over here you can already use a gym for as low as $1+ per day.

8. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think a few equipment items are necessary. I think if you were to buy something it would be dumbbells, and a barbell with weights. I think the best results come from home work out videos in my opinion. I have lost 70 pounds so far this year just by diet and Les Mill Combat Training videos. You will only need dumbbells in the videos once in awhile.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It only worth the money if you've got plenty of money and less time to head to gym or to head to anywhere where you can jog, run or do your workout routine. But if you've got less of money, and plenty of time, then it's not advisable to buy an equipment. Of course we're talking here about fitness equipment. It's not worth to take a risk on such matter, so I would suggest that when you buy, you really buy those quality ones.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It all depend on how well you use the equipments. I think it is very difficult to start using the equipments once you obtain it, as you would not be knowing the right way to use the equipments. I think it is best to use the equipments after reading the required information only. Many people end up misusing the equipments without reading the proper guidance about it.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If you are buying the equipment to START working out, then I'm skeptical, because if you haven't already established exercise as a way of your life, then it will most likely be a waste of money. If it really is your thing, then definitely make the investment, even if you still maintain a gym membership as the variety will help you keep your goals.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what sort of person you are and how you like to workout. For me, buying home equipment will never be worth it because my workouts always are horrible when I don't go to the gym. I get distracted or just get lazy knowing that my bed is only a short ways away. Going to the gym helps me get into a good mental state and when I'm there I just think about having a good workout and nothing else.

But for some people, it might just be impossible to go the gym for an hour and need the home equipment to get some sort of workout in. But even if that's the case, I find there are a lot of exercises you can do without free weights that are just as effective.

13. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    One can either purchase or attain a tool, and use it on a daily basis, or, forget about it and leave it to collect dust, rain, heat, and cold. It's truly up to the man or woman and their willingness to apply any tools into an activity in their life, because I highly doubt, a dumbbell will lift itself and do some reps. Also, if it's going to be a financial burden and you have a hint that you won't be able to use it that much, simply get a gym membership instead; you won't have to worry about moving and maintaining heavy equipment, and if you do an exercise you can't finish and need help, the gym will more than likely have on staff to aid you. If you live at an apartment, check if the facility has a indoor gym for residential use.