Is Gold Watches Even In Style?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by TheViper • Nov 11, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There was once a time where I thought about buying a gold watch. Not because I wanted to be stylish or in the trend of the week. Now I am not even sure if gold watches are something that people would even consider part of a style. Would you guys still wear a gold watch or is gold not in?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    How could a gold watch ever go out of style? It is considered a classic style, now a lot of these youngsters refuse to wear watches in general, which looks ridiculous to me, but you should be fine with a gold watch.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Many young people don't wish to wear watches in truth nowadays, but I think the emergence of smartwatches are helping out to make watches become a cool factor again. While I'd prefer to own a watch that can provide techy ways for me to actually use it while complimenting my style, I'd still consider purchasing a gold watch because many of them look rich and ready to wear when going out.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I've ever liked gold watches. It's far too showy for me. But in terms of being in or out of style, there's one part of the world that it certainly is in style and that's North Asia. Gold has a lot of significance in the Chinese culture, notably as a sign of prosperity, and gold watches are incredibly popular in that part of the world. I haven't done any research on it but my guess would be that Greater China would represent easily the biggest market in the world for gold watches.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it is more popular in some cultures than others, but in general I don't think it would ever completely go out of style. There are some that may have designs that look a bit outdated but I wouldn't say they became outdated just because they are made of gold. I ink just as long as it matches your style then you should go for it. I myself prefer silver but that's just personal preference. If I liked gold more I wouldn't really care what others thought, I'd still buy it and wear it often.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember gold watches being popular with the older generation, but for the younger generation, not much. Young adults would prefer to spend their money on gadgets which are much more useful than a watch. I won't mind being given one as a gift though, lol.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For sure. No one's going to stop me from wearing one. I still have my Orient automatic watch to this day. There's a bit of a problem with the logo but I'll have it fixed and re-plated with gold soon. The watch has faded over the years due to wear and tear but it still functions the way it should. Caveat: Since it's automatic, I have to keep on wearing it if I don't want time to stop.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that overall, there're two different types of people; those who love gold and those who prefer silver. For that reason, I doubt either will ever truly go out of fashion. In my opinion, it's just a matter of taste. I personally prefer silver, my wedding and engagement rings're white gold. As far as watches go, I agree with the posters who believe not many people wear them anymore. We have access to time everywhere you look; phones, computers, your e-reader etc

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the design, a kind of gold, what you are wearing and on the event that you are wearing it for. If it were the yellow gold and its design is not appropriate on the event where you are wearing it, and that includes also the kind of clothes that you have, then it's out of style, and you should wear something else. On the other hand, if it were still the yellow gold, but its design is just appropriate for ordinary use, then you could wear it anywhere you want with any clothes that you have. But I think, the white gold is much more for a general use, because I think it is easier to be paired with anything, though I also think that it's way more expensive.

10. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Very Interesting thread and equally interesting comments ladies and gents! I believe that gold watches will forever be in style, simply because it is a luxury item. Luxury items command a certain level of "respect" if I may use that word. Just like diamonds. You'll never hear that anything diamond is going out of style. Gold and Diamonds are like best friends, so, if Gold is going out of style, so too Diamond, and so the demand of all kinds of Gold and Diamond jewelry will decline-which is rather impossible.