Is HP guilty of poor quality hardware?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Esperahol • May 14, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I know that HP laptops don't get a lot of good reviews and I know from experience as well as from what friends have said that the computers and the laptops have very little longevity even if they do run smoothly (at first). Maybe I've just been having bad luck, but I have to wonder if maybe the HP brand is simply a bad one. What do you think? Has anyone else here had a bad experience with this brand?

2. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I've had an HP computer, and I hated it. It was slow, and just poor quality. My friend also had an HP computer, and it didn't last that long. The charger stopped working, and she had to buy new ones frequently. I also had a Compaq computer, which is made by HP. It died after just a few years, and we had to buy many different chargers for it.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Well HP has (had maybe?)a good name and where I am fetches a good price in that it does not come cheap. However, about 10 years ago I got one and paid quite a bit for it...and only a few months later the speakers gave, then something else...in no time it was like an old computer and it was not even a year. Now I have a Dell and I am so very happy with it, it is not fancy but I it works amazingly well.

I will not buy HP again basically.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Another problem with them is that their printers are effectively worthless.

5. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe I'm the lucky one? I had an HP desktop computer that lasted for five years and I'm working on my first year with the HP laptop I'm on right now and it still runs as if it was brand new. I'm meticulous about maintaining my computers, though. I do regular light maintenance on it and deep cleaning twice a month. I'll only ever get HP. My husband's on his 4th computer in the past 6 years, which is ridiculous. Two that died were dell and the other was a Toshiba.

6. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I have an HP printer, and it works really well.

7. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    They probably do in this day and age. But I remember back when the internet age was young. Names like HP and Compaq were pretty much known for quality. But that was a very long time ago. And we all know things change so....

8. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Woah, HP? Really? I mean, I don't know what to say. My PC is HP (7 years running, still working swell), my laptop is HP (4 years, used daily in school), my printer is HP (2 years, regularly used to print school lectures)... I don't know if I'm just lucky.

9. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    While I haven't had any HP laptops, I've seen many bad reviews on them and it does make me cautious of them. Hopefully they can get their act together on the quality and fix up what needs to be fixed so that they don't have to have the same old tune.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't agree I have a Compaq Presario and it's 6 years old and it still works. I think HP is one of the best computer companies out there, and I have yet to see any other company compete. The worst computer in my opinion is Dell, Asus, and Toshiba. These computers are pure trash and they have a short shelf life. The reason you hear so much about HP being the best is because it's true.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many, many years ago, I had a HP desktop computer. I loved it. My first laptop was a Compaq, but to be fair it was before the merged. HP used to be known for the quality of their laser printers and computers. Things have changed. They are no longer as good as they used to be. It's really sad.

12. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    It's not just HP, it is pretty much every mass producer of computers and consumer electronics. When the people want more technology for cheaper prices, usually build quality is what is scrapped because manufacturers just can't afford it to keep any profit in it for them. Electronics profit margins are already pretty slim.

13. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Toshiba has gotten better in recent years, and so it isn't too far an idea to think HP may have gotten worse. In fact as the various companies find their slots in the market some will of course get better while other rest on their laurels and fall. I'm glad your computer has done well, but many others haven't and the reviews show it.

14. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say every HP laptop that my family has owned really sucked. I can think of four we have had and each one was slow and would overheat. I thought we were just having bad luck after the first two, but the next two confirmed my suspicions that HP laptops need a bit of work. We now have Dells (love!) and I have a MacBook Pro (love!). I don't think I will ever buy an HP computer again.
    Some of their printers (scan, fax, copy too) are really good, though.

15. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually pretty surprised a lot of you hate HP computers. My HP laptop has the same amount of power as a $2000 macbook and it works better than any other computer I have ever used. Plus I got it for only $500! In my personal experiences I have had a lot of hardware problems with Dell computers. I play a lot of games on my computers so I need them to have a good graphics card and processor and I can never find good specs on Dell computers for a reasonable price. I have always viewed HP as the best Windows computer company.

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I got my laptop for 1000 dollars (including insurance) and it lasted for not even 2 years. That is 500 a year nevermind the damage from - well I've heard many, many bad things about HP computers and laptops from many people both online and off. It just seems to be something of a trend.

17. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that HP intentionally puts out bad products. I have had several HP products that performed exceptionally well and other brand products that haven't. When it comes to hardware, I don't think that HP is any more or less reliable than any other manufacturer out there.

18. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Every computer overheats that's such a generic reason for not liking HP. All those brands you named will overheat if you run graphic heavy games and applications. The Macbook is overpriced there are a ton of PC's that will kill that for half of the price. HP is a reliable company and just because you received a bad one, doesn't make their company less credible. How do we know you didn't have a virus on your computer? Are you sure it was the computer itself, or was it something that you or your family did something wrong?

19. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    HP does seem to come up with bad products for quite some time. I had a HP printer and it didn't last long though my HP laptop is still working fine after two and a half years. I think they need to tighten up their quality control, after all most of their manufacturing is outsourced so why blame them alone?

20. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    HP makes really high quality laptops for their prices in my opinion. I bought a customized laptop with an Intel i5, 4 Gb of RAM, and a 500 Gb Harddrive (basically all of its components were equal to or superior to that of a Macbook Pro) for $850. I also used the same $30 HP printer for the entirety of college with no problems (although the price of ink made me shudder occasionally...). I have no complaints whatsoever about HP's quality and I would certainly buy their products again, but I must admit I am virulently anti-Apple so I have a little bias...