Is it a waste to buy DVDs?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Sep 24, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I have met a few people in the past that say they rather purchase DVDs then rent movies. I don't understand this because if it isn't your most favorite film then you're going to spend $10 to watch a movie once. If it's a movie I know I'm going to watch a lot, such as "Singin' in the Rain," "Double Indemnity" or "Grand Illusion," then I'll buy it. But if it's a film I know I'll only watch once then I'm going to rent.

You?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy DVDs of movies that I really like. All the time new updates are published and it´s interesting to have them. Maybe I enjoy it because I consider myself a movie buff, but it's fun to create a collection like that. Sometimes the costs exceed expectations, but there is always something interesting to buy. Perhaps the DVD, as digital media format, isn't spending his moment of glory, but I think it´s still a good choice. Same with compilations of TV series . I haven't the habit of renting movies, I find it a bit uncomfortable.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I only buy DVDs of concerts, and that's just because of my love for a band :p

4. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Personally, I love buying DVD's. There's a certain essence of having an actual HARD COPY of something that I love. Plus I have a collector side in me as well. I have endless DVD's, CD's, games, etc and I just enjoy something more from buying it. It's like if you went and bought a car, with your money, as opposed to going and stealing one. Just my two cents, I download too but nothing beats a hard copy.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    If you have subscribed to lots of channels on tv such as hbo and star movies, you probably won't have time to buy DVDs. I also have been buying DVDS but when I subscribed to channels such as hbo and some animal planets and discovery channel. I forget watching movies unless its like a blockbuster movie such as Avatar and Darknight.

6. Strawberries

StrawberriesNew Member

Threads:
    I typically only watch movies on Netflix or on television, as I rarely have the attention span for it. But occasionally there have been a movie or series that really caught my attention and I absolutely HAD to purchase the DVD. This would be the only time I would buy the actual DVD, as it makes it more convenient if I want to show it to a friend or watch it when my internet is out or something.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. A dvd is only worth buying if you know you're going to watch it over and over. I have a friend who is very proud of his dvd collection, but he never watches them unless he has company, and he never has company because he works 60 hours a week. That just feels like a waste of money to me.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If there's a DVD I really want, I'll either buy it or drop hints to my kids for Christmas or my birthday. We do go to a lot of car boot sales though, and we can pick up DVDs for next to nothing there, and we just watch them and then sell them on. I check out one of the price comparison sites when I've decided to buy, so I get the best deal I can.

9. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    I don't think its a waste of time getting dvds. I personally like to watch dvds, I even have a few of my own that I like to see. I have the Green Lantern, Transformers 2 and 3, and I only spent about 20 bucks for all of them. Not bad for 3 dvds considering they cost 15 bucks in the electronics store. What I do now is get my dvds off of netflixx for only 15 bucks a month now and I get as many dvds as I wanna watch.

10. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Sure getting DVDs is still a good idea when you can find sales. I look for the big spindles of the DVD-R or DVD-RW on sale and I pick up a handful of them. :D So I could definitely advocate buying DVDs still. :cool:

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    The only way I could justify buying a movie that I'm not going to watch repeatedly is if I'm going to re-gift it to someone else. Or maybe if I can sell it for almost full price.

I don't usually see DVDs for as cheap as $10 in the first place, though. And I haven't bought one in quite a while.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can not justify purchasing a dvd, I don't look at movies generally more than once. If I catch it on tv and it is one I like I will look at it again or parts of it, but to purchase it and look at it several times does not work for me. My daughter does purchase and looks at movies over and over and enjoys them.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped buying DVD's several years ago. I used to buy them quite often, but when Blu-Ray came out, and I looked at my whole collection realizing I was going to have to re-buy all of this - I just said "forget it". I kind of did a mental tally of how much I spent on all of these, and realized it was quite a waste of money. For the next few years, I was just downloading them off of torrent/file sharing sites and burning my own DVD's. But more recently, I started subscribing to Netflix, which I love. I have access to pretty much all the movies I owned on DVD, plus a whole lot more. The only drawback, is Netflix doesn't include any of the special features you often get with DVD's.

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped buying DVDs when I found out that I can freely download movies from torrent websites available online. I also don't re-watch movies unless its really good or has a good story like The Green Mile or The Shawshank Redemption. The only materials that I re-watch are the episodes of How I Met Your Mother because I just can't get enough of that hilarious television show.

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to double up by hitting up my buddy - Homie. 5 for 20 is cool and it means getting a lot movies I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. Last time it was Insidious(alright), Red (great movie), the movie with Hannibl and exorcism (lame), The Time Traveler's Wife (I loved the book so I'm scared to look), and something stupid (which I enjoyed).

16. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I know of someone who buys all his DVDs, too. I think it is such a waste of hundreds of dollars. But if it makes you happy and you can easily afford them, why not? Me, personally? I have a very few select DVDs which are my all time favorites, and a few given to me as gifts. It is rare for me to watch a movie, even one I love, more than two times, so I don't see the point on buying them and having them take up space in my house and depleting my wallet. I have Netflix, so if I really want to see a movie more than once, I just rent from them.

17. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    For my budget currently, it is a bit of a waste. When I had a disposable income I used to buy DVDs all the time. But now I've ended up selling them all. It doesn't seem worthwhile anymore, given services like netflix and the library is actually an incredible source of DVDs, even new releases. If I feel like watching a specific title, I just put it on hold at the library. Also, movies end up on cable for free as well.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the DVD is on sale and I haven't watched the film yet, and if the movie is from the genre that I like, for example, it's a horror film then I'll probably buy it. Since when a DVD is on sale here in my country, they go for as low as $5 or less, so it's a pretty good deal. And nowadays I don't really rent movies anymore, I just download them instead of rent them.

19. Mycoldshower

MycoldshowerNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. The way I see it, DVDs are to first "stable" sources of video. I mean, VHS definitely had its flaws. Always having to rewind the tape, gaining static while aging, being way too big, ... DVDs are small, easy and intuitive to use. And so what. Blu-ray has a few extra pixels. Apart from that, it doesn't really add more comfort to the DVD experience. But hey, that's just my opinion.

20. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of most movies so I only buy DVDs/Blu Ray for movies that I really love, as well as all of the seasons of Lost. Generally, the only movies I really love are Harry Potter, Hunger Games and good Disney and Pixar movies (Lion King, Finding Nemo, etc) and a few others. When I do watch other movies it's rented or on Netflix.