Is It Safe To Purchase A Used Apple Laptop On Ebay?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by HDHarper • Oct 31, 2012.

1. HDHarper

HDHarperNew Member

Threads:
    I would like to purchase a used Apple Laptop and I wonder if anyone has had any experience with purchasing one on eBay? Is there a more reliable vendor of Apple Laptops on the Internet? I would like to know any experiences you may have had or any suggestions you can give me.

The Laptop could be 2-3 years old, and a basic model would be just fine.

2. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any experience regarding buying stuffs on eBay but I know a lot of people who did. Buying from eBay is actually pretty cool that is if you are only buying non-electronic gadgets. You said that you want to buy an Apple laptop and I certainly wouldn't recommend you in doing that because I know some people who are receiving items that are different from what they initially ordered. Now I don't know if you still could do something about it but assuming that you can't, its better to just buy from someone you know or look for someone who is willing to deliver the Apple laptop in your house so that you can check if it has any defects.

Apple laptops are pricey that's why it is better to check and make sure that you are getting the right amount for your money.

3. BrianDouglas

BrianDouglasNew Member

Threads:
    Absolutely, it is safe to buy nearly any electronic on eBay. Apple products are no different. You will be taken well care of, especially if you buy with PayPal, you get special treatment when you use PayPal on eBay, and with any electronics of a sizable cost, you get to make your real final decision after it gets to you thanks to technicalities about that. You would have to pay to send it back, but if it is a GOOD enough deal, it's probably worth it. Just talk with the merchant a little and find out the main things first - does it work, does it have any noticeable ugliness to the finish/dings or scrapes etc. Don't think of eBay as an online flea market, it's a legit marketplace for new and used goods, and used electronics are strictly moderated when people complain, so you should be ok and safe to purchase.

4. darren777

darren777Member

Threads:
    You will have no problem buying laptops off ebay. They have really good customer service and will help you out if you have any problems. I would recommend you buy form top rated sellers as it will be almost certain you are getting quality products.

5. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    For me it will be just good as long as you know what you are looking for and you have a trusted seller. Now how do you know if you are with a trusted seller? Just search for his background or feedback on his page. It will always be good to talk to him online and better to talk to him in person to finalize the deal. :D

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with tosaytheleast, check out the seller's feedback! Look at items that they have sold in the past, are the similar to what you will be buying from them? Also look for their return policy, shipping costs, etc, etc. Think in terms of: What will happen if I have a problem? Will I get any help from the seller? A top rated seller is going to be your best bet, but still check out all the other details!

7. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    Yes, it is safe. In theory, you should not have any issues whatsoever. My best advice to you is to find a laptop you are interested in, and then check the seller's history. If they have mostly positive feedback, this should assure you that your transaction will probably go through without any problems. Also, keep in mind, that eBay has many "safety" features. So, that in the event you pay & never receive your item, they will give you your money back.

8. HDHarper

HDHarperNew Member

Threads:
    I thank everyone for your responses. I have read, however, that Ebay feedback can be "faked" and what appears to be a legitimate seller can sometimes be a scam artist. Can anyone give me exact examples of how to spot a scam artist on Ebay? Has anyone had a negative experience with an Ebay seller that they can relate here?

9. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased several computers on ebay, including Apple. I've had both good and bad experiences with this. You are right that feedback can be faked. To avoid this, go with an established seller, one that has been rated as a top seller and has feedback in the thousands. Many of these are actually stores such as best buy and overstock. Their guarantee and return policy is just as good as on their website. Otherwise, read the seller's warranty and return policy and only go with one that offers an adequate guarantee and return. A few times I had to file a claim with ebay over fraudulent sellers. I made my case, detailing the problem clearly with all the facts. In just a few weeks, my cases were resolved and refunds were issued. Ebay is there for you if you have a problem, but you do have to be careful. Knowing what I know, I would buy a computer with this in mind.

10. YamiPrem

YamiPremNew Member

Threads:
    Hi,

I've never bought any used computers - be it desktop or laptops.

There are just way too many individual components in these machines. I'd understand if it were just one piece, like a monitor, but on computers, you're taking a bigger risk. You can't possibly assume everything is working perfectly and aren't 'old'. It may work now, but for how long?

Now, I'm NOT trying to scare you, I know there are legit sellers on eBay, checking feedback is the best thing you can do IMO. Look for the store ones.

But me, I'd always stick with a new one. I think the positives justify the cost. (Unless I'm offered a super-mega-awesome deal.)

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Feedback can certainly be faked, in fact some people on sites like Fiverr do a brisk business in selling large numbers of fake testimonies, reviews, and feedback. That said numbers cannot generally be faked - if this person has sale after sale after sale and their numbers are good then you should feel okay with them. Also you should use paypal for your fianacial safety.

12. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    If they're from china, no, because they're most likely fakes. In fact a lot are probably fakes or real ones with components replaced with cheaper ones (or not replaced at all). Plus you don't have warranty on used ones from ebay, which you'll definitely need.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I'm quite meticulous, I prefer buying brand new electronic items, because 2nd hand ones can be liable to damage, if not now, then in the future, because it has already been used. But if you really want to buy on Ebay, then you're better off buying from legitimate stores of brand manufacturers on Ebay. Although I noticed that even on Sony's official store, for example, there are still lots of complaints from consumers. Those who complained must really be finicky buyers.

14. Gift3d

Gift3dMember

Threads:
    make sure you read the description carfully.

I never purchased a laptop but I did purchase a guitar, No experience on ebay before so I wasn't sure how the returns went so I kept it.

Ordered myself a Jackson Warrior guitar
    jackson-guitars-661491605658744840.

Ended up getting a Jackson Dinky.
    -font-b-Jackson-b-font-DK2S-font-b-Dinky-b-font-Transparent-Red-color-Electric.

the picture showed a warrior everything was warrior got a dinky, he said he read the seri\al number wrong and assumed it was a warrior and if I sent it back he would send a warrior...

I didn't know if I sent it back if I would get anything back and just lose my money so I ended up keeping it. I was so dissapointed :(

15. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    May go to Apple official store for some used Apple laptop. As to ebay, no one can say it 's safe or not. It depends on luck sometimes.