Is It True That People Still Prefer Brick And Mortar Stores

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Aug 20, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Though shopping online can save shoppers a lot of money fact is most people still prefer to get their stuff from brick and mortar stores. Few people [for example] buy their groceries online [for various reasons].

Anyway, why do you think that most people are scared of online shopping? Is it the scams that terrify them?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think the desire to look and feel and touch goods you want to buy is enticing to most people. Also, lets face it shopping is an experience. Some stores have pleasant music. You can meet up with friends, and go out to lunch or just look the merchandise up and down. YOu can see how goods look in person...maybe sample them or try them on. Plus going to a store is a good way to get out of the house!

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Ke Gordon has hit the nail on the head. -and there's some truth to what you said about some people being wary of being scammed online. I love shopping and still enjoy both, to be honest. Sometimes I just want to mooch around with my friends and make a proper day of it. While there are days when I just want to stay cooped up oggling clothes and clicking away if I see something I really like.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think older people don't like online shopping as my parents prefer going into a store and haggling or to look for a bargain. We have choices now, but in some places that are rural shipping is expensive and returning goods not so easy, so I guess they prefer brick and mortar stores too.

Besides that, some people don't have credit or debit cards and they can't shop online.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I love to shop online, but I really like traditional stores better. For one, you get to get out of the house and browse the aisles, and you can experience the product before you purchase it. If I am lazy or know exactly what I want to get, I will purhcase it online. If I just want to go shopping to look for something I want, a regular store is still my favorite way to do it. I sometimes shop online to find out where I can get the best deal and then go to the actual store to make the purchase.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not prefer brick and mortar stores. For food, I will always prefer to put my hands on it and see what I'm getting. I would never trust anyone else to choose my food for me, they'd get it wrong every time lol. For clothes and anything else though, I'm perfectly happy not driving, trying to avoid pushy sales people or hopping from store to store when I can click and buy from the comfort of my home. If something doesn't fit, I can easily return it or donate it.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest - I think one of the main reasons - is that going to the store has the advantage that online shopping doesn't - in that - you get to touch, feel, try on or even test the items you wish to purchase.

Its a mixture of the two for me - as although I always prefer to go to the stores when buying groceries or want to check the quality of an item or need to try something on before purchasing it - everything else I much prefer to buy online - as not only is it less hassle and quicker - but as I live a considerable distance from any store or shopping mall - it works out significantly cheaper too - particularly as the cost of fuel and parking amount to far more - than the shipping costs for items bought online.

Oh and I love the added bonus of how convenient shopping online is - especially as it means I'm able to shop at any time of the day or night that I want to.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is this another joke question? Because the answer is obvious. Online shopping still can't beat the speed of simply going out to the store and buying a given item, especially if the price is comparable. Amazon might have same-day shipping on many items, but it's a feature that isn't fully fleshed out yet, and not all items are eligible for it. No other online retailer comes close to such shipping speeds without charging a fortune, so people are going to keep shopping in stores. Duh.

9. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I do both. I guess about 80% brick and mortar and the other 20% online. I find for niche items, I can usually find them MUCH easier online and they are usually cheaper. For example, I bought an old VCR machine at a thrift store that was missing the electrical cord. I just popped onto Amazon.com and found the exact cord I needed at a very reasonable price. I would never have been able to find the cord locally. However, most of my shopping is groceries, personal items and lawn and garden stuff, so for these things it requires a trip to the store. Some things just cannot be found online, like fresh produce at a reasonable price.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Both shopping methods have their advantages, but the thing that gives brick and mortar the edge for me is the tactile experience. As for grocery shopping online, I live in a locale that makes this pretty impractical, if not altogether impossible at the moment. Not to mention, I still like being able to pick out my own produce, so I can’t see myself switching to online shopping even if my situation changes.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, if I am buying clothes, then it is a must that I should be able to fit them. I have tried buying tops online before, and some did not fit me, so I will not make the mistake of buying something that I don't get to fit again. At least with pants, you just have to ask for the measurements of the waist to know if it will fit you if you're going to buy online. With tops, it can be tricky. I think when buying things that need to be felt and fitted then it must be bought personally than buying it online.

#11Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  12. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    If I can, I much prefer to buy from a physical store. Thay way, I can confirm the product quality without second-guessing whether it'll be worth it or not. If the product turns out to be bad (not defective, just not living up to expectations) only I am blame for not choosing a better product when all those options were presented to me. On the other hand, I'd hate to order from an online seller only to receive a subpar product because it looked enticing on its Amazon thumbnail.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both. I like being able to shop online, especially when there are good deals and free shipping. I'm partially disabled, so at times, shopping can be a real pain for me (literally). I also live in a mostly rural area, so there is certainly more selection online. My window to the world.

Sometimes, I do enjoy getting out just to walk around and look around. I also prefer trying on clothing before buying it, but I will shop online if the size chart has proper measurements.

Food, I prefer to see it before I buy it, and I like supporting the local merchants and farmers and such.