Is It True . . .

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Dec 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    . . . that eating slowly will save you money.

The rationale behind it is: "if you eat slowly you'll eat less food." But I don't see how that can help if you cook the same amount of food you've always consumed. Unless you start cooking less and eat more slowly you'd still be spending the same amount of money IMO.

The one reason why eating slowly will certainly save you money is this:

If you avoid digestive problems you'd not have to seek medication would you?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    It's not just eating slowly of course. As you said, the emphasis should be on preparing less food and serving smaller portions. Eating these smaller portions slowly would make you feel more full, with no difference from eating your regular portion.

I would recommend cooking less, but if it is hard to adjust I would suggest eating smaller portions, and saving the leftovers for next day's meal.

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The whole eating slow thing is more of a mental aspect than anything else. While I do think that eating slowly gives you body more time to recognize that it has had enough. Eating slow and certain proportions presents the mindset that you are eating enough and that you should stop.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The quality of the food is more important than the quantity at times. If it tastes nice you tend to eat it slowly and to enjoy it, but if it's bland then you tend to eat it because you are hungry or for the sake of it and not wasting it.

It's a balance between portion size and nutritional value too and getting it right. A huge bowl of pasta with tomato sauce has less nutritional value than a smaller one with vegetables and tomato sauce in it.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    To my knowledge and opinion, slow eating doesn't matter, it's how you chew your food that is important. The more one chews their food thoroughly, it will help in digestion and have less strain on your body. Eating slow is all a matter of preference, it's more about enjoying and savoring the food, and as Alan Watts quoted,"Do you eat to live, or live to eat?"

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Eating slowly would make you eat less, because through time while you're eating your appetite diminishes, and while it does, you'd start feeling full or you wouldn't want to eat anymore despite that you are not yet that full. Unlike when you are eating fast, the earlier you'd finish your food and the greater your momentum to have more even though you might already be feeling full.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is that so? I didn't know that. Anyhow, that's great if it's that way. However, my eating pace depends on the type of food being served at that moment. It's never been my style to deliberately eat slowly with the end goal of helping my digestive system process properly and save up on money. I eat fruits and drink detox teas and herbal coffees to clean my digestive tract. It's not so much on how you eat but on what you eat that affects your digestion.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've had some experience here :D A 'body-hack' I read about somewhere online suggested that people ought to 'chew every bite thirty times.'

The main reason for the "excessive" chewing is 'to make your mouth do its fair share of the digestion' (taking-up something like a tenth of the digestive 'tract' (or is it 'track'), it ought to do more than 'just enough chop/grind to get the food down the throat' :confused:).

But there's also the fact that 'your stomach takes its time in telling your brain that it's full.' "Thirty Chews" gives your stomach time to tell your brain it's had enough.

And--as Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) advises--STOP EATING WHEN YOU'RE FULL. I know lots of people (formerly myself-included) are under the "Make a Happy Plate"-spell ... the idea that 'the food you put on your plate is Your Assignment to Consume.'

I suppose that sometimes people go through times when 'they don't know when they'll have food again, so they better get all they can out of what's served now.' But "Thirty Chews" is how I broke THAT habit; if you use "Thirty Chews" (thirty chews of EVERY BITE), you'll get to where you CAN'T eat when you're full!

(Saving money by 'not ordering seconds you won't eat' and 'having enough left-overs to avoid buying too much unprepared food!'

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I have tried eating slow before and usually end up consuming just as much food as I did eating more fast, it just took me longer to eat. You have to cook and prepare less food to save money. I find that the biggest source of waste is unused leftovers that sit in the fridge for a week or two before you decide to throw them out. People should concentrate their efforts more on making less food and not letting ingredients go to waste.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that's true, my mom also said that because it's a bit slower for our brains to process that we are already full, we need to chew slowly so that we will be full with less food eaten. I think it definitely makes sense. However, I don''t really practice chewing slowly. I eat my food a bit fast, especially when I'm hungry.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I too have eaten slowly and quickly. I think it doesn't make any difference of the amount you eat whether you eat slowly or quickly. What matters is that you have enough time to eat what you want to eat. Most people who work have only half an hour to eat and be back at work, so you got to eat fast to be on time for work.